PDA

View Full Version : Anyone good at French?

Belle_91
08-11-2012, 02:37 AM
In this scene, Belle is talking to her uncle about the Beast while the two are at an Ash Wednesday Service. Naturally, one of the other churchgoers thinks they are being rude, and in French, asks them to be quiet. My French isn't very good, so I typed this sucker into a translater site, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was wrong.

Perhaps I'm wrong? I wish I remember exactly what I wrote in, but I can't. Something along the lines of the angry woman telling them to be quiet and Uncle Louis begging pardon.

“Don’t be ridiculous, Uncle.”

“Well, is he unkind?”

“He is very kind, not that it’s any of your affair.”

“S'il vous plait, soyez tranquille,” a woman behind them snapped.

“Je vous demande pardon,” Uncle Louis apologized.

Thanks so much!

benbenberi
08-11-2012, 03:25 AM
Something along the lines of the angry woman telling them to be quiet and Uncle Louis begging pardon.
“S'il vous plait, soyez tranquille,” a woman behind them snapped.
"Je vous demande pardon,” Uncle Louis apologized.

Yes, that's exactly what it says.

AnotherMorning
08-11-2012, 04:34 AM
You could say "je m'excuse", but given the context, what you have is good.

Belle_91
08-11-2012, 04:39 AM
It worked! Imagine that! Ha, I think this is the site I used if anyone else needs help: http://translation.babylon.com/french/

Merci!

anguswalker
08-13-2012, 12:56 PM
This is rather formal and old-fashioned French, but I presume that is what you are after anyway.

I would be very careful by the way about relying on online translators. In the site you mentioned I put in "Well I never!" and got back "Et bien, je n'ai jamais!" which is a literal translation of the English words but pretty much meaningless in French.

Scribble Orca
08-13-2012, 01:15 PM
Oh I might land myself in trouble here for something off-topic.

When Uncle Louis asks for an apology, your dialogue tag says exactly the same thing = redundant.

Ditto with the woman behind snapping. Make your dialogue snap, and describe something about the person behind (who Belle and Uncle Louis cannot see) that indicates her exasperation with them. Even have Belle make a remark to her uncle after he has apologised, to help convey that they are interrupting the service.

Oldbrasscat
08-26-2012, 11:00 PM
Lol, in my church, it would have been glares, then a tap on the shoulder and a "Shhhhh!" with another death beam glare.