PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Japanese phrase

Jamiekswriter
08-11-2012, 01:06 AM
Hello,

I need help from someone who knows Japanese sentence structure.

Can you tell me if Kawaii Baka Fuzakero translates to "Cute Idiot Screwing Around." The context comes from this exchange:

“There is a lava ridge there named Oni Oshi Dashi.”
“You went to a place named after exiled demons. Are you high?”
“It was only a name, or so I thought.”
“If it was only a name, they would have called it Kawaii Baka Fuzakero.”

I'd appreciate any and all thoughts. Thanks!

WriteMinded
08-11-2012, 03:20 AM
This would be better posted in Story Research: Experts and Interviewees Wanted

owlion
08-11-2012, 01:28 PM
I think it would need a particle:

Kawaii baka wa fuzakeru. (cute idiot who jokes)

I'm not 100% though.

Jamiekswriter
08-11-2012, 04:23 PM
This would be better posted in Story Research: Experts and Interviewees Wanted

Thanks WriteMinded. That's a good idea. Could a mod move this for me?

Laurie, thanks!! I think you might be right!!! :D

kaitie
08-11-2012, 07:24 PM
Should be fukazeru not fukazero, but I'm not quite sure. I'm trying to figure this out.

The funny thing is that I know the phrase "fuzaken na" as a way of saying "stop screwing around" or "you're shitting me" or something like that, and it had never occurred to me it came from a verb. ;) I'm silly like that sometimes.

Honestly, putting a particle in there takes away from the sound of it, which is why I'm not so sure about it. I'm also not a fan of "baka," which I suppose is used often enough, but I'd be almost more tempted to use aho myself, but that's probably just me and my bias against baka (which is partly because I'm not sure how often I've seen it used in this context. It's more often an outright insult? I also just dislike the word. :tongue).

I'd honestly be tempted to change the phrase? Something like "fuzzy puppy" or "kindly angels" (opposite of exiled demons) or something like that.

I'm not sure about Oni oshidashi either, to be honest. If you're going for exiled, I'd use something like tsuihou instead of oshidashi, but obviously oni oshidashi has a nice ring to it, and tsuihou would need a verb like tsuihou sareta oni, and that's not as nice.

Thing is, place names are odd. You can get away with things you couldn't normally, and it's possible oshidashi would make perfect sense to a Japanese person (it literally means you're pushing something out, like physically). I'd almost say you'd have to find a native speaker to ask this one. Sorry for being no help!

CaoPaux
08-11-2012, 08:07 PM
(moved from Beta Readers)