PDA

View Full Version : Quotation marks and italics

Lidiya
08-10-2012, 05:38 PM
I'm currently making my MC get shot by tribes -- so he's shouting a lot a making me portray that in italics.

So, out of these, which one is correct?

"Oh God!" (with only 'God' in italics)

or

"Oh God!" (with 'God' and the exclamation mark in italics)

or

"Oh God!" (with 'God', the exclamation mark and the quotation marks in italics)

What about when the 'Oh' is supposed to be in italics?
Thanks...I'm just getting a little confused here!

sheadakota
08-10-2012, 05:45 PM
I think you're over thinking a bit. if I understand correctly from your other posts, this is a first draft. Just write it, worry about perfecting everything in editing.
But personally i would lose the exclamation point all together- your surrounding text should get the point across that he is shouting without the need for this or italics. just my opinion.

Chris P
08-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Um, I would suggest ditching the italics. Officially and most commonly, italics are meant to denote foreign words or internal dialog. I don't have my Chicago Manual with me, but I don't think they are used commonly for emphasis (but anyone can feel free to correct me). In my opinion, they aren't necessary anyway. The reader will know from the context that the character is shouting. If the MC is getting shot at by the natives, I highly doubt he's going to mumble a non-committal response.

Lidiya
08-10-2012, 05:58 PM
Um, I would suggest ditching the italics. Officially and most commonly, italics are meant to denote foreign words or internal dialog. I don't have my Chicago Manual with me, but I don't think they are used commonly for emphasis (but anyone can feel free to correct me). In my opinion, they aren't necessary anyway. The reader will know from the context that the character is shouting. If the MC is getting shot at by the natives, I highly doubt he's going to mumble a non-committal response.

Well, I kind of use the italics to remind me later what the character felt or how serious the situation was -- it sounds weird, but it helps me.

I also sometimes use italics online. I just want to know the right way to do it, because, you know, even if I don't end up using italics, it'd be useful to know the correct way to use them.

Bufty
08-10-2012, 06:58 PM
I can't believe you mean this.

Well, I kind of use the italics to remind me later what the character felt or how serious the situation was -- it sounds weird, but it helps me.

Lidiya
08-10-2012, 07:14 PM
I can't believe you mean this.

I do.

absitinvidia
08-10-2012, 10:37 PM
The main thing to remember when it comes to quotation marks and italics is the quotation marks should match: either both roman or both italic. In no case should the opening quotation mark be roman and the closing quotation mark be italic.

Either of your first two examples is fine. That is something that falls under house style for a publisher, and the copy editor will make sure it's done properly. The Chicago Manual of Style discusses punctuation and italics in section 6.2 (16th ed.).

ETA: Italics can be used for emphasis, but you shouldn't overuse them. See CMoS section 7.47.

Chris P
08-10-2012, 10:51 PM
The main thing to remember when it comes to quotation marks and italics is the quotation marks should match: either both roman or both italic. In no case should the opening quotation mark be roman and the closing quotation mark be italic.

Either of your first two examples is fine. That is something that falls under house style for a publisher, and the copy editor will make sure it's done properly. The Chicago Manual of Style discusses punctuation and italics in section 6.2 (16th ed.).

ETA: Italics can be used for emphasis, but you shouldn't overuse them. See CMoS section 7.47.

Cool! This is one of the reasons I love this place.

Maryn
08-10-2012, 11:30 PM
Also, it's not what you asked, but you need a comma after Oh.

So regardless of how you end up in terms of italics, it'll be Oh, God!

Maryn, helpful with squiggles

Devil Ledbetter
08-11-2012, 12:18 AM
I usually let the dialogue itself do the emphasizing rather than relying on italics.

guttersquid
08-13-2012, 10:41 PM
I'd go with

"Oh, god!"

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
08-15-2012, 11:26 AM
I concur with the general consensus...especially Absit. My publishers both have house styles and I have been instructed by an editor to change things once...but never italics.

I would like to ask why you need them in the instance posted. If the character is shouting (exclaiming, via your punctuation) why add the emphasis of italics? It is usually a device reserved for use (sparingly) to point out an emphasized word that might otherwise be processed by the reader without emphasis (e.g., "You didn't really mean that?"). You see that often in popular literature. I fear in your instance, the use of italics may equate to a very hoity form of ALL CAPS!

Otherwise, italics are used for foreign words (both of my pubs have this as a house rule).

I'd go with

"Oh, god!"Ditto. Altho, depending upon the setting and characterization, I might capitalize God.