How do you word a nudge email?

Kado

Registered
Reaction score
An agent has had my full for 6 weeks now and, though I know that's not a lot of time in agent land, their website does say to email them if they haven't responded by this time.

I'm just wondering how to go about wording the email without sounding desperate. Any ideas?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Did the agent acknowledge receipt? If not, that is the first thing to ask.
"Dear wonderful agent. On xx of xxx I sent you 'my fabulous book' as requested. Could you confirm that it was received."

Determination

Is watching you
Registered
Reaction score
For agents reading a full, six weeks is nothing. Three to six months is closer to the mark and despite what their website says I'd still be inclined to wait.

However if you feel you absolutely must I'd just send a short but polite one saying that you sent your manuscript titled XXX on such and such a date and they have now had it for six weeks. As per the guidelines on their website you are following up as you have not heard anything.

Kado

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, the agent acknowledged receipt straight away. Thanks for the advice and for wording ideas - that gives me something to go by. Determination, what you say makes sense. I guess I'll hold off nudging for a few more weeks.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
I nudged after 4 to 6 months even if the wait time said otherwise. 6 weeks is nothing.
My nudge e-mails look like this:

Dear [agent name here]:

I hope you are doing well, and I am just verifying that you received the partial/full/however much you sent manuscript of [TITLE here] I sent on [Month, day]. Please let me know if you are still considering it.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Name Here

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard some agents say not to nudge until 3 months have passed, so that's what I go by. Unless it's an exclusive, but if it were, they should have told you how long the wait would be (presumably faster). Good luck!

Kado

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the examples guys. 'Let me know if you are still considering it' is the phrase I was looking for I think - great!

Samara Jensen

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard some agents say not to nudge until 3 months have passed, so that's what I go by.

I go with the three-month nudge rule too, although in my experience some agents take much, much longer to come to a decision on a requested manuscript and some never reply at all (sadly). Here's how I worded a recent nudge email:

Dear Agent,

I hope you don't mind me emailing. I just wanted to check in with you to make sure you received my requested manuscript and to see whether it was still under consideration?

Many thanks for your time.

With best wishes,

Samara Jensen

Six weeks isn't long to wait on a full but, if their website says to nudge after that time and you can't wait any longer, I don't see the harm. In the meantime though, keep subbing to other agents! :)

grover4232

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had a positive response from an agent after nudging? After I haven't heard back on a submission for a while, I assume it's a rejection, and that by nudging, I'll only get that rejection sooner.

whirlaway

Registered
Reaction score
I got a "Whoops, I have no record of receiving your full. Can you please resend?" after a nudge.

Of course I was all polite and patient and waited 6 months before I nudged. Next time when I send a full, I'll ask for confirmation of receipt.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I put "Client Check-in--Chris) in my subject line. Then:

"Hi, XXXXXX, just wondering if anything was popping on your end for XXXXXXX. Did you ever hear back from XXXXXX? It seems kind of slow out there, with vacations and such. I hope this letter finds you in good health and spirits.

Cheers,

Chris"

Something like that. Just a polite inquiry, with a little sympathy added.

tri

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I received a positive e-mail (it had gotten buried in her inbox) and she'd get back to me soon. The agent ended up getting back to me a day later with revision notes. (I was expecting another 4 week wait, 1 day was a surprise!)

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Yes, I received a positive e-mail (it had gotten buried in her inbox) and she'd get back to me soon. The agent ended up getting back to me a day later with revision notes. (I was expecting another 4 week wait, 1 day was a surprise!)

Excellent! You're on your way!

cheers,

tri

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I usually double the wait time posted before nudging. If I have no proof of receipt - some of my stuff goes the old fashioned way - I'll include a fresh copy of the manuscript.

Dear Agent:

At your request, I sent you a copy of x on date y. Since I have not heard from you, I'm wondering if the submission never arrived.

To refresh you memory, pitch here.

Please find enclosed x, for your convenience.

If I received confirmation, I'll just ask for an update on the status of x sent on y date. My e-mails use the subject line Status Query: x: Genre or age group. I write for children.

Kado

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your nudge emails Samara, Triceretops and Debbie. I really appreciate it.

I was wounding about what to put in the subject line too, so that was helpful. Obviously, I have a general idea of how to go about all this but it's useful to see how other people go about it (especially when it comes to getting the tone right) and it's good to share these things.

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
I once had a positive response on a nudge for a short story--I got an R&R that ended up leading to a sale. Woo!

Unless instructed otherwise, I tend to just hit reply on the previous e-mail trail (and of course leave all prior e-mails intact so they can easily confirm I'm not making things up). I figure that's the best way to keep it from ending up in spam.

JanetReid

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Grover, I've signed and sold books that the author had to nudge me on. Stuff happens.

As for text, I always like this one:

Dear SlackerAssBonBonChewingTelenovellaWatchingAgent:

WTF Snookums?? You can't have anything better to do than read my Tome of Terror do you? Get with it.

If you run that through the Google translator WriterSpeak-->AgentSpeak you'll get this:

Dear Agent:
Thanks for requesting my manuscript Sharks Rule on 1/1/05. I'm emailing just to check in to see if you're still considering it.

Thanks for your time.

WriterDude

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Grover, I've signed and sold books that the author had to nudge me on. Stuff happens.

As for text, I always like this one:

WTF Snookums?? You can't have anything better to do than read my Tome of Terror do you? Get with it.

Thanks for your time.

WriterDude

:roll:And that from an agent!

Luprec

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.unstoriable.com
I've got a full out with an agent who has no guidelines regarding this on his website. He's had it for about 7 weeks, and I was thinking that was a bad sign, until I read this thread.

I was going to nudge, but now I'm not sure...

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a full out with an agent who has no guidelines regarding this on his website. He's had it for about 7 weeks, and I was thinking that was a bad sign, until I read this thread.

Seven weeks isn't long in Agentland. The standard rule is to nudge at three months. If there are no other guidelines on the website, wait until three months to nudge.

FCameron

Registered
Reaction score
Website
definingyourhome.blogspot.com

Patience!

Yesterday, I received an email from an agent after NINE weeks of having my full. She's supposed to call this afternoon to discuss whether I'm willing to revise from romantic mystery to a thriller. Yes, I'll do that!

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score

Aw, you had to remind me? Ever since they took Abismo de Passion off the air, I've been in a deep depression.

But then you call me Snookums!

You rock. Here's a contract.