Formatting changing between Kindle models?

m00bah

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure why this is, but I created my ebook by saving my word doc to html format, then dragged that into the Kindle Previewer, which generated my .mobi, and when I put that file onto my Kindle (Kindle Keyboard model) it displays everything perfectly - my chapter titles are half way down the page etc on each new chapter etc.

But when I uploaded that same file to my friends Kindle (Kindle Wi-Fi model) it looked totally different. The chapter titles were almost at the bottom of the page, then in subsequent new chapters, the title was at the very top of the page.

Why is this formatting changing between models?

Thanks.

Deleted member 42

I'm not sure why this is, but I created my ebook by saving my word doc to html format, then dragged that into the Kindle Previewer, which generated my .mobi, and when I put that file onto my Kindle (Kindle Keyboard model) it displays everything perfectly - my chapter titles are half way down the page etc on each new chapter etc.

But when I uploaded that same file to my friends Kindle (Kindle Wi-Fi model) it looked totally different. The chapter titles were almost at the bottom of the page, then in subsequent new chapters, the title was at the very top of the page.

Why is this formatting changing between models?

Thanks.
Are they running the same version of the Kindle OS?

brianjanuary

Registered
Reaction score
Did you save the document as "filtered html"? The previewer is just a previewer--it doesn't generate a mobi file. You can send a Word document directly to KDP publishing for conversion or use the Mobipocket Creator for a simple, text-only document or Calibre (although some users are reporting that KDP is rejecting Calibre conversions now), etc.

Did you format your titles using the Format menu, setting the alignment there (instead of using the alignment icons on the tool bar), plus Space After and Space Before to set the title on the page (instead of using the Enter key)? Did you format the end of chapters by using the Insert menu?

Turn on the pilcrow (the backwards paragraph symbol on the tool bar) and look for any stray paragraph symbols in your document--they should be only at the end of titles, paragraphs, etc. and nowhere else. Delete any strays.

Download the Kindle Previewer ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?docId=1000765261 ) and check your work in all available formats. If your manuscript is correctly formatted, it will apear so in each format.