Setting up retreats

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
This may seem like a weird idea, but I've been thinking a lot about it lately and was wondering if anyone has experience/expertise in this area.

Currently, my brother and I live in our 'ancestral home'. Other than my son, there are no other heirs (at least none that have any legal standing). My son has basically said while he wants to be able to come back here for visits, he would have no interest in moving back here to live after my brother and I are gone.

This is where it gets a little weird.

I don't like the idea of dumping the worry and expense of keeping up the homestead to my son. At the same time, I hate the idea that some stranger may buy the place and destroy the gardens, tear down or totally re-do the house - in essence, destroy what the place has meant to our family. So I've been thinking of setting up a trust fund with the idea of using the house/grounds for a writer's retreat. Between the house and the outbuildings, there would be room for 4-5 writers at one time.

Now, good Lord willing and the creek don't rise, this won't take place for many years yet. But who knows if I'll ever become a rich and famous author, so I need to do some figuring and planning as early as possible if this is ever to come to fruition. I know I'll have to consult an attorney at some point (especially for the trust fund part), but any advice on how to set up the retreat (on a continuing basis) would be helpful (including how to ensure that the building and grounds are kept 'safe' with strangers coming in to live here). But I don't know what kind of costs would be involved, insurance issues, or who I should be looking at to run the thing, among other things. So any advice or resources would be greatly appreciated.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I would suggest you get in touch with the Oregon Writers Colony -- I think they have a similar situation (not sure, but they have a house and you can join the organization and rent it for the weekend or whatever from the OWC).

It sounds lovely! I'd be willing to chat with you about my experiences putting on smallish writer events, if you'd like to PM me.

JMC2009

Your friendly neighborhood Chat Op
Registered
Reaction score
I almost wonder if what might work best is if you set it up as some sort of non-profit organization that would then have a small staff for operations. Just thinking.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Karen has a good suggestion. I'm not a member of Oregon Writers Colony, but I've thought about joining, partly for the ability to rent out the beach house.

Here's a link to their ColonyHouse:

http://oregonwriterscolony.org/colony-house/

If I remember, it's insanely cheap for a house at the beach, something like $20 a night per person.

I agree, setting up a non-profit org would probably be best, to get liability insurance etc.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Will definitely check out the Oregon place. And the non-profit organization - hadn't considered that, only setting up some kind of trust. But the organization does make more sense - they would be able to handle all aspects of it as well, rather than having it parceled out.

Karen - thanks for the offer - will PM you later today - have all kinds of questions!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It could work. but, really, some stranger who buys the place has every right to make it his own, to build his own memories, to make the place mean something to him and his children. You've had your time. Let someone else have theirs.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
It could work. but, really, some stranger who buys the place has every right to make it his own, to build his own memories, to make the place mean something to him and his children. You've had your time. Let someone else have theirs.

Well, with all due respect, that's not what I was asking about. This has been the family home since 1951, and considering what my parents put into it, the gardens, the children, the love of reading and learning - well, the idea of someone coming in, splitting the property and all, just doesn't set well with me. I don't think there's anything wrong with setting up a situation that would benefit writers. Seems a fitting memorial for my parents, at the very least.

Deleted member 42

You'd need a trust that was funded and vested in income generating funds or stocks.

You'd need 501 Educational charitable status.

Were I you I'd look at donating it with a trust to an extant and funded organization, instead, with income going to you during your life and the house yours rent free during your life.

This is still tricky; the organization may not want it, they may later have to sell because of some local law change, etc.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
This is still tricky; the organization may not want it, they may later have to sell because of some local law change, etc.

Yes, this would be a concern. I'd want to make sure - or as sure as one can when dealing with the future - that it would remain viable.

Soooo much to consider. But at least I have (hopefully) time to get things worked out.

JMC2009

Your friendly neighborhood Chat Op
Registered
Reaction score
I don't like the idea of dumping the worry and expense of keeping up the homestead to my son.

I've been thinking about this... and to put it out there, I'm a 20-something with this perspective.

Assuming your son is a capable adult, it does become his responsibility if he wants to keep it for a vacation home. Let him make that decision - he wants the toy, he takes responsibility. Just like getting a puppy. If he decides he doesn't want to take care of it, you'll be dead and won't see the result.

If you're sincerely wanting to turn it into a writer's retreat as your legacy, that's a completely different thing.

In short, what I'm trying to get at is it's great what you're wanting to do, just make sure you're doing it for the right reasons.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's a great idea, and a generous one, shadowwalker: but even if you do establish a trust or pass the property onto an existing organisation, there's no guarantee that this won't happen:

I hate the idea that some stranger may buy the place and destroy the gardens, tear down or totally re-do the house - in essence, destroy what the place has meant to our family.

I don't know about the US but in the UK, buildings and conversions have to be wheelchair-accessible now, so if the house isn't wheelchair-accessible then it will have to be made so in order to accommodate the retreating writers; the garden will have to conform to safety regulations; the house will probably have to be rejigged so that it can provide enough privacy to the writers staying there; and so on. The house is going to change even if you do this.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On a general note, there are a lot of issues here to be considered beyond the mechanics of setting up a retreat and 'protecting the present state of the property and gardens'. It is impossible to guarantee achievement of the latter.

Tastes change and financial necessity dictates actions.

Most important of all, do nothing irrevocable at too early a stage in case it is regretted in later years.

Good luck with whatever course you follow.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Assuming your son is a capable adult...

My son and I have talked about his preferences regarding the property after my brother and I are gone, and I think this retreat would work out the best for all concerned.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about the US but in the UK, buildings and conversions have to be wheelchair-accessible now, so if the house isn't wheelchair-accessible then it will have to be made so in order to accommodate the retreating writers; the garden will have to conform to safety regulations; the house will probably have to be rejigged so that it can provide enough privacy to the writers staying there; and so on. The house is going to change even if you do this.

Well, fortunately (I guess) the wheelchair access was taken care of during my mother's last years, although the ramp into the house would have to be replaced. There are four bedrooms and two baths, plus a second one room house which could be divided into two rooms, plus my own little 'shed' I'm revamping for an office right now, and each is large enough to provide for both sleeping and computers, desk, etc. The gardens were constantly being revamped by my parents and now by my brother and I, so that's more that I want to keep the layout, with the little privacy nooks, etc - which were always nice to sit and reflect.

So I guess I'm saying that I know some changes will need to be made, and I'm comfortable with that. But I see this as the sort of thing they do down south, maintaining the old mansions and grounds for tourists - only here it will be a small property for writers.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Most important of all, do nothing irrevocable at too early a stage in case it is regretted in later years.

Good luck with whatever course you follow.

Oh no, don't want to make any decisions now that can't be undone as time and circumstances dictate. But that's kind of why I want to start organizing and learning about all the issues now, so I can have a plan ready to go... well, when I'm ready to go. :tongue

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
A retreat facility usually includes staff, so that the retreatees don't have to cook or clean for themselves and can devote time to their work; and it usually has common areas for the retreatees to meet in the evenings.

Four beds and two baths doesn't sound like a big enough house for it to be viable, from what I've seen.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
A retreat facility usually includes staff, so that the retreatees don't have to cook or clean for themselves and can devote time to their work; and it usually has common areas for the retreatees to meet in the evenings.

Four beds and two baths doesn't sound like a big enough house for it to be viable, from what I've seen.

I was thinking more along the lines of The Margery Davis Boyden Wilderness Writing Residency

http://www.writersconf.org/memdir/members/PNW00019.php

So more a place where they can "retreat" from outside distractions to work on their ms. I'm not thinking as long a time frame as the above, but definitely 1-2 months anyway.

(Oh, and there is a formal dining room and living room - both fairly large and connected - which could be used for meetings. We've had large family gatherings there with little problem.)

But again, these are things that I have to look at and consider during the planning stage, so I definitely need to hear any and all thoughts/concerns/ideas. :)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not trying to be overly negative, shadowwalker, I just see problems and am pointing them out. I hope it'll help you think it through. I've been on a few writing retreats and some of them were great, others not quite so good, usually because the accommodation wasn't appropriate. If you're going to do this you need to do it right.

I hope it works out well.

OnlyStones

Badger told me ...
Registered
Reaction score
Live the dream

Oh no, don't want to make any decisions now that can't be undone as time and circumstances dictate. But that's kind of why I want to start organizing and learning about all the issues now, so I can have a plan ready to go... well, when I'm ready to go. :tongue

I have no practical experience or advice but can fully relate to the dream of developing a place, like you describe, that provides writers a place to develop and better their skills and themselves. I wish you all the best and encourage you to look beyond those who offer only reasons not to move forward with your dream. From the sound of things, you already know that there will be hard work and sacrifice involved along the way, and are willing to put forward your best effort to realize this dream.

I imagine it's an awful lot like writing a book, or any other worthwhile endeavor; plenty of obstacles and naysayers, but if you'r willing to stay the course, you will get there.

Here's to getting there! :yessmiley

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not trying to be overly negative, shadowwalker, I just see problems and am pointing them out... If you're going to do this you need to do it right.

Oh I appreciate your bringing these things up. Like I said, I need to know what the stumbling blocks are/could be so I can address them.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
This may seem like a weird idea, but I've been thinking a lot about it lately and was wondering if anyone has experience/expertise in this area.

Currently, my brother and I live in our 'ancestral home'. Other than my son, there are no other heirs (at least none that have any legal standing). My son has basically said while he wants to be able to come back here for visits, he would have no interest in moving back here to live after my brother and I are gone.

This is where it gets a little weird.

I don't like the idea of dumping the worry and expense of keeping up the homestead to my son. At the same time, I hate the idea that some stranger may buy the place and destroy the gardens, tear down or totally re-do the house - in essence, destroy what the place has meant to our family. So I've been thinking of setting up a trust fund with the idea of using the house/grounds for a writer's retreat. Between the house and the outbuildings, there would be room for 4-5 writers at one time.

Now, good Lord willing and the creek don't rise, this won't take place for many years yet. But who knows if I'll ever become a rich and famous author, so I need to do some figuring and planning as early as possible if this is ever to come to fruition. I know I'll have to consult an attorney at some point (especially for the trust fund part), but any advice on how to set up the retreat (on a continuing basis) would be helpful (including how to ensure that the building and grounds are kept 'safe' with strangers coming in to live here). But I don't know what kind of costs would be involved, insurance issues, or who I should be looking at to run the thing, among other things. So any advice or resources would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure where you are, but in the UK I would say to contact the National Trust about it.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I have no real advice or experience but just wanted to drop in and say it's a very neat idea. If I had something like that around here, for a reasonable cost, where I didn't have to cook or clean, you bet I'd jump in and use it to my advantage.
So, I wish you the best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.