PDA

View Full Version : Two agents? (current agent does not cover certain genre)

Arch Stanton
08-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm currently repped, but my agent does not do YA. This summer, I converted one of my older projects to YA (made the story better), and I'd like to try and get an agent for it.

When your agent doesn't cover a genre, is it okay to seek someone who does?

Thanks!

katci13
08-09-2012, 11:10 PM
I read on a agent's blog the other day that if their current client has a book in a genre they don't rep, they want their client to bring it to them first anyway. They want to the opportunity to do the research and see if they can find representation for it first before you go somewhere else. You're their client, they want to keep you all to themselves.

OctoberLee
08-09-2012, 11:21 PM
Yeah, see above.

I was at an agent forum recently where the agent (who exclusively rep'd YA) said it's more important to find out if their agency represents other things before you sign up with them. Say, she was your agent (YA only) and you were giving her non-fic. She would say, "sorry I don't have the right contacts in the publishing world to sell non-fic. But the agent in the office next door to me does."

I would try and work your current agent first, and go from there. (Others might have different advice tho, just my two pennies :D)

WeaselFire
08-10-2012, 05:49 PM
Yep. Let your agent know you have this written and ask if they can find a market or if they know a better agent to use. In almost all agencies of more than one agent, there will be somebody with the right contacts.

Jeff

waylander
08-10-2012, 09:35 PM
What they said.
Chances are your agent will know someone suitable and it will go much easier if they do the asking.

Arch Stanton
08-11-2012, 06:55 AM
Thank you for the advice. I spoke with my agent and she proposed to handle the issue as mentioned (in-house).