R+R Etiquette

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Have queried my novella to 4 epubs so far, and got my first response back this morning, an R+R :hooray:

The editor had some very kind words about my style, and some encouraging suggestions, but I'm not sure how to proceed. I think I definitely need to reply and ask for clarification on the things she said needed work, but I'm just not sure how to word it.

So my question is this: would it be frowned upon to send a revised snippet (a few paragraphs) of the piece that she saw (first 20 pages), and ask if I'm headed in the direction she had in mind? Or do I just revise the entire novella before resubmitting?

Thanks in advance, and any other advice you have on how to handle these situations is helpful, as I'm a noob to the process!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't send her a snippet: she's already given you guidance. I'd just do the revision and send it in.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What clarification do you need? Didn't the editor suggest anything?

Jeff

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Bishop, if the editor wasn't clear in her request I wonder, now, if you're mistaking a kindly form rejection for an R&R. I am probably making something out of nothing, but if you were to copy her note here we'd be able to judge better.

I realise that if this is the case you're going to feel horrible, but I hope that's better than making a mistake by reworking and resubmitting your work.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Oh, no...the request to see a revision of this or any other piece I write in the future was clear. I'm having an ex-editor friend have a look to be sure, but I don't believe that I'm mistaken on that. I was complimented on my writing style. The good was pretty personalized, as were the criticisms and suggestions.

I think my issue is that I have trouble applying general feedback about a piece of writing to specific areas of it. Like, it was mentioned that there was too much telling and summarization, not enough active/dialogue scenes. Well, my prologue has a whopping one line of dialogue before the first person POV character is on their own. It's all in the moment stuff from there, but there's no more dialogue and the action involves driving, pulling over and getting out, crying, and falling sleep on the road. So...do I revise the prologue, or is that part ok? Just an example, as I was given several other quite personalized suggestions.

And I would post the text of the email, but it just feels wrong to make that public. Sorry :/

Last edited:

VanessaNorth

Purple hair, not prose.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanessanorth.com
Honestly, I would not ask for clarification.

Go over your manuscript with a fine toothed comb. Examine each scene for relevance and see if you can objectively apply the critique given and make it better.

You have to be able to self-edit. Even when working with an editor after a book is sold, some feedback will be very generic. "Make this more X" or "start with the action in this scene" or "There's not enough conflict in the first half of the book, make it stronger" or "the internal conflict is resolved too soon, draw it out a little longer." You're the writer, it's your job to be able to take the feedback an editor gives you and apply it judiciously.

Telling vs. showing is a big deal. Don't say someone was angry, describe his red face and clenched fists, the little muscle twitches in his face.

If there isn't enough action and dialogue, you are spending too much time describing things that aren't moving the plot. Every scene should move the plot, especially in a novella, when you're working with fewer words to get the job done. When you read a scene, ask yourself why it is there, does it move the plot?

These are things that you as a writer need to be able to do, not just for this book, but for future books as well.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
If it were me, I would definitely ask for clarification, just some questions that you're not sure of. Then proceed with the R&R. I wouldn't send a snippet, that's asking too much from the editor, I think.

If you're doing a lot of telling, more so then showing, you have a lot of revisions ahead of you. Good Luck with it!

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
It does sound more like an encouraging rejection to me, but it does also sound like the editor is leaving the door open. But with the suggestions they're making, it also sounds like the revisions they want are pretty major. Hard to say without reading the actual email.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
The wordage used was "a fair amount of work to make it really shine."

I think I will respond without asking for clarification (but noting that I may request it in the future), and do a very critical revision of the entire piece before resubmitting. You all are correct, I do need to learn how to self-edit better!

Thanks guys :)

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Agh, guess I came here too late. While my story is a little different (R&R from agent not pub), I just wanted to chime in. I got an R&R requested with 2 page long suggestions but still wanted clarification. I e-mailed the agent back thanking her for her time and revision suggestions and also asked if we could talk more about them. She was willing and we discussed the notes further. What I'm saying, JB, is it doesn't always hurt to ask for a little more clarification (i.e. "You suggested this; do you have an example of how this could improve" etc).

Good luck!

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
In case, I'm ahead of your reply, I'd also ask. It would be worse to revise off the mark and confuse or confound the editor later than to ask a simple question or two now. "Is the prologue included in your suggestion? Do you have specific examples of areas within the manuscript that need work or is it a far reaching issue?"

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Thanks Debbie! I did ask for clarification, and the editor was kind enough to give a specific passage as an example. I think I'm on the right track now :D