PDA

View Full Version : Which e-reader should I buy?

SemiADD
08-09-2012, 02:13 PM
I did a search but the other threads are from last year and 2010, so I wasn't sure if the information would still be relevant. Apologies if I missed a more recent thread!

I'd like to buy an e-reader quite soon (before summer is out) and I'm not sure which the best option is. I've never owned one, nor has anybody that I know so I've not really had any experience of them before.

I don't want it to do anything else, and I don't want to fork out loads of money so an iPad is out. Ideally we're talking about something like a Kindle. But there are so many! I have my eye on the Kindle Touch.. any insight would be helpful though :)

EDIT: and the model with 3G connectivity.. do you often find yourself wishing you had Kindle Store access on the road, or is having WIFI enough?

Torgo
08-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Breaks my heart to say it, but nothing is as good as a Kindle.

SemiADD
08-09-2012, 02:22 PM
Breaks my heart to say it, but nothing is as good as a Kindle.

But which model of Kindle would you say is best? Or do you literally mean the original Kindle?

Torgo
08-09-2012, 02:32 PM
But which model of Kindle would you say is best? Or do you literally mean the original Kindle?

The latest kindle e-ink reader (3 series?) whichever that is. 3G is quite handy, but not essential. Wouldn't bother with kindle DX.

EarlyBird
08-09-2012, 02:36 PM
I've two Kindles in the last year and a half. Both broke and the second one, the replacement, carried no warranty. I am SOL. Rather pissed at Kindle at the moment and probably wouldn't bother getting another one.

That said, it was great while it lasted. I had the Kindle keyboard with 3G. Very convenient, easy to read, long battery life, slipped into my purse like an old friend.

I'm leaning towards a Nook next time. The glow feature intrigues me. I love to read at night in bed and with the Kindle I needed a light of some sort. Plus, Nook is more compatible with different formats, which would work better for me.

ETA to add how the second Kindle broke - I turned it while while in a plane at, oh, around 25,000 feet and the screen exploded. Turns out that is not an uncommon problem with Kindles.

scarletpeaches
08-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Stay the hell away from Sony whatever you do. Their customer aftercare sucks cheesy donkey dick.

I'd say a Kindle.

stephenf
08-09-2012, 07:13 PM
I have a Sony Reader pocket edition .If you like to read ,it is the best. It is small ,the size of a paperback, but it has the biggest screen compared to other e readers with the same overall size. It is easy to use and the batteries ,when new, will last for weeks between recharges.You do need a computer to add books etc. . I use Calibre E-Book management program. It's free and you can download loads of stuff in a number of difrent formats and read it on your Sony .

Torgo
08-09-2012, 07:24 PM
Stay the hell away from Sony whatever you do. Their customer aftercare sucks cheesy donkey dick.

I'd say a Kindle.

I hear the new Sony is OK. Sony software usually sucks, though, so if it's compatible with Calibre, use that to manage your device.

WildScribe
08-09-2012, 07:26 PM
I have (and LOVE) my Kindle Keyboard. I read it pretty much every day, it reads to ME in the car (the robot voice takes a little getting used to, but it's a free feature and I love the convenience), and the customer service is amazing. I'm actually on my third Kindle Keyboard (with 3G. I will ALWAYS recommend the 3G), but I only paid for the first one. It got a bleed in the screen, so I called and they replaced it. The second one developed a bug after a year or so that made it not want to display images (like the rare fancy fonts and my screensavers), so they replaced that one, too. Call Kindle customer service, not general Amazon customer service, and you'll get better support, overall.

scarletpeaches
08-09-2012, 07:31 PM
I hear the new Sony is OK. Sony software usually sucks, though, so if it's compatible with Calibre, use that to manage your device.You couldn't pay me to use a Sony ereader now.

They refused to repair the battery or even look at it without me paying a fee, and I said, "If you'd repaired it properly BOTH TIMES it needed fixing while it was still in warranty, it wouldn't be broken now, after the warranty's passed."

The woman on the phone insisted they "couldn't" do anything until I'd paid a fee first and I said, "Forget it; I'll buy a bloody Kindle," and hung up.

Amazon, on the other hand, have fallen over themselves to help whenever I've emailed them an enquiry.