Where to ask genre question

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloridianWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I've been writing my current WIP for a while and I'm trying to figure out what kind of genre it would be because of the many different elements. Where would I ask this question?

Deleted member 42

I've been writing my current WIP for a while and I'm trying to figure out what kind of genre it would be because of the many different elements. Where would I ask this question?

That's a hard one!

Here's one suggestion:

Write a synopsis, you don't have to go all the way to the end of the plot, but a summary or even a list of the characteristics that you think are important, and post it in Roundtable.

If it's easier for you, write it in a style that's sort of contemplative, as in

"I wrote this book, and I think it's Urban Fantasy because there are actual vampires, but my heroine is female, and human, and very ordinary, just a cop. But she solves a murder, so maybe it's Mystery or Detective, except in the course of solving the murder, she does fall in love with the person that appears to be the villain . . ."

Deleted member 42

Another thought:

If you've got a section that strikes you as really representative of the book, post it in SYW, with your question regarding "what genre is this?"

Last edited by a moderator:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's a question that comes up a lot, and some of the discussions were collected here. Does that help at all?

ETA: It probably doesn't, because you're wanting to ask the question about a specific WiP. On the other hand, it's a terrific procrastination aid. ;)

Deleted member 42

Keep in mind that you need 50 posts before you can Stuart a thread in SYW.

FloridianWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Keep in mind that you need 50 posts before you can Stuart a thread in SYW.
I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the reminder.

It's a question that comes up a lot, and some of the discussions were collected here. Does that help at all?

ETA: It probably doesn't, because you're wanting to ask the question about a specific WiP. On the other hand, it's a terrific procrastination aid. ;)
That link actually did help a bit. Thanks and favorited.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score

Flori,

Once upon a time... I tried to make a 'guide' to defining writing categories and genres. It took me a while to find it today, but if you go this thread, and scroll down to post #40... it might be some help... and it might not? =)

FloridianWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Flori,

Once upon a time... I tried to make a 'guide' to defining writing categories and genres. It took me a while to find it today, but if you go this thread, and scroll down to post #40... it might be some help... and it might not? =)
That did help. I believe my WIP falls into the contemporary/action-adventure category. Thanks everyone for the help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.