PDA

View Full Version : Ohhh...your baby is so.....

Marilyn Braun
01-12-2006, 02:00 AM
Someone comes up to you on the street with an ugly baby. What do you say to the parents?

scarletpeaches
01-12-2006, 02:01 AM
Yuck?

tiny
01-12-2006, 02:03 AM
What a freakin' ugly kid, better hope he becomes a bit player in the movies or he ain't never getting any play. Whoo, cover him up, I'm getting sick.

Perks
01-12-2006, 02:04 AM
"What a niiiice baby!"

NeuroFizz
01-12-2006, 02:05 AM
Oooh. Too bad. NeuroFizz must be the father.

katiemac
01-12-2006, 02:11 AM
He's breathtaking.

Stolen from an old Seinfeld episode.

Shadow_Ferret
01-12-2006, 02:13 AM
Oh, how sweet. I see the family resemblance. No. I don't want to hold it. No. Keep it away. Please.

underthecity
01-12-2006, 02:31 AM
My, what a homely baby. (Boss Hogg said this while on truth serum in an episode of Dukes of Hazzard.)

allen

scarletpeaches
01-12-2006, 02:33 AM
"People like you should have your legs glued together at the knees."

rhymegirl
01-12-2006, 02:42 AM
How about: "What a lovely baby outfit he/she is wearing!"

maestrowork
01-12-2006, 02:44 AM
I didn't know you and Danny DeVito... (wiggle eyebrows)

Marilyn Braun
01-12-2006, 02:45 AM
He/She's so clean!!

Shwebb
01-12-2006, 02:46 AM
"What a sweet little baby!"

"Wow! he looks just like you/your spouse!"

(If anyone says these things to me, I guess I'll know what they think about my kids!")

PattiTheWicked
01-12-2006, 02:51 AM
"Oh, she has such soft skin.... for a gorilla."

aadams73
01-12-2006, 03:10 AM
"Next time, swallow."

Actually, I usually just think that when someone has rowdy kids in a grown-up's movie.

Gehanna
01-12-2006, 03:21 AM
Someone comes up to you on the street with an ugly baby. What do you say to the parents?

"Oh look! A Woodchuck."

tiny
01-12-2006, 03:51 AM
Come on guys! New parents should learn to live with their ugly spawn right from the very beginning. Keeps them from getting their hopes up that people want to look at wads of baby pictures.

"Shoot for the horror movies, lady, little Jimmy's ugly as a post."

StoryG27
01-12-2006, 04:31 AM
You people are evil! Eeevvvaaaaiillll!

I would just say, "Oh, what a precious baby." Or "What a sweet child."

Babies, ugly or cute, are still adorable under the innocent, helpless, brand-new-to-the-world clause.

scarletpeaches
01-12-2006, 04:34 AM
No they're not. Babies stink.

tiny
01-12-2006, 04:39 AM
Babies, ugly or cute, are still adorable under the innocent, helpless, brand-new-to-the-world clause.

I don't have that clause in my handbook. And until I am issued the current set of rules, I will still inform the unfortunate souls who create hopelessly ugly offspring that may or may not cause some sort of riot if taken into public places that their children are bridge trolls.

Mainly because I was also not issued the flashing sign behind my eyes that periodically asks "Chris, really. Should you say that out loud or just in your head."

scarletpeaches
01-12-2006, 04:41 AM
tiny-terror, I utterly love you and want to have your babies. Ugly ones, I don't care. :D

Carole
01-12-2006, 04:42 AM
Well, I think all babies are adorable, even the ugly ones. The innocence radiates and even if their physical appearance isn't Gerber baby level, they all still sparkle. Beauty does shine from within, and what is more beautiful than an uncorrupt heart & mind?

It's the adults with a pretty face and a bad attitude that I can't abide.

StoryG27
01-12-2006, 04:44 AM
I still think you all (especially Tiny Terror and SP) are eeevvvaailll! but I have to admit, this comment made me laugh so hard I choked on the drink I was taking.

"Next time, swallow."

tiny
01-12-2006, 04:47 AM
I still think you all (especially Tiny Terror and SP) are eeevvvaailll!.

What's worse is I have two kids, both ugly babies, not so bad now. :D

scarletpeaches
01-12-2006, 04:47 AM
I still think you all (especially Tiny Terror and SP) are eeevvvaailll! but I have to admit, this comment made me laugh so hard I choked on the drink I was taking.

That's so gay. I'm telling on you.

StoryG27
01-12-2006, 04:56 AM
What's worse is I have two kids, both ugly babies, not so bad now. :D
Oh, you're in trouble...the contract is around somewhere.

You are most definitely NOT allowed to think your OWN babies are ugly. Go to Mommy jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

tiny
01-12-2006, 04:59 AM
I signed no contract. I just let one slip past the goalie. Okay, two, I'm a lousy goalie.

September skies
01-12-2006, 05:03 AM
You people are evil! Eeevvvaaaaiillll!

I would just say, "Oh, what a precious baby." Or "What a sweet child."

Thankyou Storygirl - yours has been the only real answer. That's what I would say, "what a precious baby"

(in my mind, I would probably hope the Ugly Duckling story would come true)

ETA: cute outfit answer by rhymegirl not too bad either - assuming it is a cute outfit.

StoryG27
01-12-2006, 05:04 AM
I signed no contract. I just let one slip past the goalie. Okay, two, I'm a lousy goalie.
Oh shush....you're beautiful and I bet you had beautiful kiddos, escpecially when they were infants.

(You still don't get to collect $200)

StoryG27
01-12-2006, 05:07 AM
Thankyou Storygirl - yours has been the only real answer. That's what I would say, "what a precious baby"

Yes, because babies ARE precious! See, now I'm getting an urge to go hold a little newborn and tell him/her how beautiful he/she is.

tiny
01-12-2006, 05:09 AM
Oh shush....you're beautiful and I bet you had beautiful kiddos, escpecially when they were infants.

(You still don't get to collect $200)

Why do you think they have eight years between them? I was so horrified by the first one, it took me that much time to let my guard down.

And I got way more than 200 bucks selling them to the circus. :D

scarletpeaches
01-12-2006, 05:11 AM
Shoulda kept them to make yoghurt. I hear really ugly babies can turn milk sour...

StoryG27
01-12-2006, 05:12 AM
Why do you think they have eight years between them? I was so horrified by the first one, it took me that much time to let my guard down.

And I got way more than 200 bucks selling them to the circus. :D

:e2moon: :whip:

I'm sorry, someone had to do it.

scarletpeaches
01-12-2006, 05:14 AM
Is that yellow emote a picture of a really ugly baby?

tiny
01-12-2006, 05:15 AM
:roll:

Hannah
01-12-2006, 05:29 AM
That was the best laugh I've had in a long time! :roll:

Shwebb
01-12-2006, 06:01 AM
Yes, because babies ARE precious! See, now I'm getting an urge to go hold a little newborn and tell him/her how beautiful he/she is.

You can come to my house! Cute babies and kiddos abound here.

maestrowork
01-12-2006, 06:07 AM
I think all babies are cute, as long as they're not mine...

poetinahat
01-12-2006, 06:12 AM
What I want to know is, what do you tell a perfect stranger who insists on coming up to you and touching your baby/small child?

My vote: "Hey, hands off! Did they say it's okay for you to touch them?"

I promise not to ask any of you what you think of my baby. Hey, he's only a baby, but it'll scar me for life....

reph
01-12-2006, 06:38 AM
Why do you think you have to say something?

Okay, never mind. I get into lots of trouble around here by asking "Why..." questions. So I'll add some comments to show why I asked that.

I don't assume that I'm expected to comment on a baby's looks or on anything about the baby unless someone asks. I might say "How do you do?" to the parents. Wait, do I know these people? Maybe I'll say "Hey, Ginger, out shopping, huh? I tried to call you this morning." I might say "Hiya, sweetie" to the baby.

Usually, people who come up to me on the street are strangers asking for directions, asking for money, or trying to sell something. This is a big city.

Dawno
01-12-2006, 07:10 AM
True story: My younger sister comes to the hospital after I've given birth to my daughter. She stops by the nursery to take a peek at her first niece before coming to my room. She walks into my room and says "I'm sorry Dawn, but you've given birth to a red lizard"

I later got my revenge. Both of my pregnancies were easy and labor fairly short (6 hrs from first contraction to delivery for the first and 4 hrs for the second) Her 2 pregnancies were challenging and her labors were long and difficult, fortunately resulting in healthy, baby boys.

I didn't claim any kind of karmic revenge, still don't, but I do bring it up now and again.

tiny
01-12-2006, 10:20 AM
tiny-terror, I utterly love you and want to have your babies. Ugly ones, I don't care. :D

:roll:

aruna
01-12-2006, 11:07 AM
I'm with Carole adn Storygirl on this! I find ALL babies, the newer the better, utterly fascinating. Sometimes I stare at them, I can't help it (I have to admit it, though I'm more likely to stare at beautiful ones!). My daughter finds this so embarassing. She says, Mum, stop staring at that damned baby, people will think you're a paedophile!

aruna
01-12-2006, 11:11 AM
Shoulda kept them to make yoghurt. I hear really ugly babies can turn milk sour...

Peaches, you deserve to be locked up! :e2moon:

aruna
01-12-2006, 11:22 AM
True story: My younger sister comes to the hospital after I've given birth to my daughter. She stops by the nursery to take a peek at her first niece before coming to my room. She walks into my room and says "I'm sorry Dawn, but you've given birth to a red lizard"

I later got my revenge. Both of my pregnancies were easy and labor fairly short (6 hrs from first contraction to delivery for the first and 4 hrs for the second) Her 2 pregnancies were challenging and her labors were long and difficult, fortunately resulting in healthy, baby boys.

When my son was born he looked - well, Japanese. We had a friend called Yoriko (who later died) and one friend came into my room and said "Oh, he looks just like Yoriko!" Later on, people began calling him the Dalai Lama. Because thats how he looked until the age of about 18 months. He was completely bald, like a little Tibetan monk.
Nobdy said he was beautiful, but he did have very striking looks.
Now he still has a shaved head but doesn't look so Asian any more. But he definitely has an Asian soul - loves all things Asian, wants to live in Thailand, study in China... must be a rebirth of something or other!

My daughter was always lovely.

MacAllister
01-12-2006, 11:34 AM
Remember those little plastic troll dolls? (http://cache.tias.com/stores/grannyscupboard/pictures/kep407a.jpg) That's exactly what my nephew looked like. Wizened, wrinkly little face, single tuft of hair, sticking straight up.

Jo
01-12-2006, 01:39 PM
When my son was born, the nursing staff all told me he was a beautiful baby. I thought they were just being nice, until one nurse told me, "If your baby was ugly, I wouldn't have said anything."

So... I'd smile and say nothing (and hope my smile didn't look like a grimace).

"Coochy, coochy, coo!"

blisswriter
01-12-2006, 10:41 PM
Well, I think all babies are adorable, even the ugly ones. The innocence radiates and even if their physical appearance isn't Gerber baby level, they all still sparkle. Beauty does shine from within, and what is more beautiful than an uncorrupt heart & mind?

It's the adults with a pretty face and a bad attitude that I can't abide.

I agree with Carole on all counts.

I once saw a study that showed that "beautiful" people get away with all manner of nastiness in our society because--well, because we can't imagine that people who are so pretty on the outside could be anything but on the inside.

pconsidine
01-13-2006, 12:43 AM
Someone actually showed that there is a preprogrammed response to certain physical features that we'd consider "cute" - features that are standard equipment on all babies. Such features included large, rounded foreheads, little button noses and big cheeks. He also showed that such general features are common to nearly all mammals and elicit the same general behavior in adults of their species.

But my response would probably be something like, "Ron Howard already has a brother."

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/universal_pictures/cinderella_man/clint_howard/manpre.jpg
Clint Howard

maestrowork
01-13-2006, 12:53 AM
Now imagine Clint Howard saying "Who's your Daddy?"

arrowqueen
01-13-2006, 01:25 AM
All babies look like Winston Churchill anyway. I have a lovely photo' of my daughter propped up with a brandy bottle beside her. Dead spit. (Though I drew the line at shoving a cigar in her gob.)

brokenfingers
01-16-2006, 11:26 PM
Someone comes up to you on the street with an ugly baby. What do you say to the parents?Wow. Is that thing real?

writerterri
01-17-2006, 03:34 AM
My babies were so beautiful people would flock around them from across the store.

But my friend did have an ugly baby. I told her don't worry they get better looking when they get older. It didn't happen. I lost contact.

But here's one of my babies.
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=947&stc=1

rhymegirl
01-17-2006, 03:49 AM
It didn't work Terri. It says invalid attachment or something like that.

poetinahat
01-17-2006, 04:28 AM
I agree with reph.

Why must people feel compelled to comment, especially when all they have to say is hurtful and has no constructive value?

Just because an opinion exists doesn't mean it should be exposed to anyone around.

writerterri
01-17-2006, 04:34 AM
It didn't work Terri. It says invalid attachment or something like that.

That's strange, it did it for me. You can see it in my profile. Thanks for the heads up though.

ps. my friends baby did grow up to be a very beautiful girl and we've been in contact since we were 16. I think all babies are presious. I especially love new borns.

pconsidine
01-17-2006, 06:52 PM
It's funny - both of my nieces were pretty funny looking as babies. Then, when they hit about a year old, they turned into these beautiful little people. Of course, then they started talking and it's been downhill from there, but at least they're cute.

The latest Christmas card photo:

http://static.flickr.com/34/71260297_45ccb56654.jpg