Status
Not open for further replies.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
I just purchased a new nikon D5100. I don't want to exhaust my camera from playing with the video features since it's not what I purchased it for. Do any photographers here know how shooting video affects the lifetime or total shutter cycles of a camera if at all?

Sorry... I googled and googled and came up with nothing.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Hmm, interesting question. I'm not sure if it acts entirely like a camera, and constantly keeps firing the shutter, or if it has a new mechanism. You might look at information for the Canon 5D Mark II or the Canon 7D, and see if anything tells you how the video modes work. I'm more familiar with Canon than Nikon, though I haven't worked with the newer cameras.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...Do any photographers here know how shooting video affects the lifetime or total shutter cycles of a camera if at all?
An electronic sensor, not the the physical shutter, is used continuously while in video mode. It counts as only one actuation each time you choose the live view option and start shooting video.

Your new camera is rated for 100,000 shutter actuations, at minimum, so you should be enjoying it for a long time. :)

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
An electronic sensor, not the the physical shutter, is used continuously while in video mode. It counts as only one actuation each time you choose the live view option and start shooting video.

Your new camera is rated for 100,000 shutter actuations, at minimum, so you should be enjoying it for a long time. :)

So do I. Thanks for the info.

I'm hoping not to run into that notorious black screen I've heard so much about. But that's me being cynical. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.