• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Need Beta for Screwball Novel (Swap?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanswofford

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, AW. I'm new here, and joined mostly because I read in Writers Digest a while back that you guys were the creme of the cop when it comes to beta readers. So, I went out on a limb and decided to take a chance...and here I am.

Enough about me, though. I'm working on a screwball/mainstream novel (think American Pie, except nerdier) that is divided into episodes, if you will. The first episode is 20,000 words, the second is the same, and the third is the same (for a total of 60,000 words).

As of right now, I only have about 6,500 words. So, as a way to prod me in the butt to finish this thing, I'd like to swap with someone who is also working on a novel and is at about the same word-count I am (a little more or a little less won't hurt...let's say you should have a minimum of 4,000 words/maximum of 8,000 words). The genre doesn't matter...excluding fantasy/sci-fi.

I'd like to swap as soon as possible. We can discuss the details or whatever later.

If you wanna swap, or for more details, just shoot me a PM! Thanks!

leon66a

Registered
Reaction score
Don't get discouraged. I think you may the victim of a misunderstanding of terms. Generally, when I think of a being a beta, I assume I will get a finished work that has been completely written and edited by the author. It should pretty much be ready to go. That's what I'm signing on for when I agree to be a beta.

What you seem to be looking for is a writing partner, someone to exchange ideas and encouragement with during the still rough parts of the novel. I think people get together and do that here, but it's not a beta.

People, like me, who would consider being a beta for a screwball novel would not respond to this thread because you want a writing partner. People looking for a writing partner wouldn't click on the thread because they're not ready to swap manuscripts.

When you finish you novel, shoot me a PM and I'd enjoy being a beta. I'm just not up for the trudging along with you during the process. I've got enough trudging of my own.

ElectricLights

Registered
Reaction score
I think I can help you with what you're looking for :) PM me what you have and I'll look it over, give feedback, corrections, suggestions, all the fun stuff :p

Status
Not open for further replies.