Brewing information

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I was wondering if there are any commercially produced ales or beers made principally from corn (maize). I know that there are some beers and ales use small amounts of corn, and that the alcohol potential is about the same from all grains.

Also, has anyone had corn ale. If so, then how was it?

Jericho McKraven

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not much of a drinker myself, but if you are looking for opinions on beer made of corn, or with corn (along with other ingredients) I suggest googling "Celiac beer, corn ale" there are a ton of people out there with celiac's that can't have beer brewed with hops and a lot of them have put their opinion on which flavor tastes the best.

I'd have given a specific sight, but a lot came up that I thought maybe you would want to weed through yourself.

Hope that helps.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicha
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4532569

I've never tried either but from what I've been told, don't expect it to taste like beer.

No, it probably wouldn;t taste like commercial beer, but that has more to do with the brewing method.

I've tried a couple of beers for celiac patients. One was made from amaranth. Another was made from something I don't remember. They sortof tasted like beer, sort of like how non-alcoholic beers taste a bit off.

I wasn't aware that people with celiac disease had trouble with beer, since it is gluten that causes the problem, and there is very little, if any, gluten in any grain except wheat. I thought that gluten was one of the things that yeast ate. I'll have to look into that.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't aware that people with celiac disease had trouble with beer, since it is gluten that causes the problem, and there is very little, if any, gluten in any grain except wheat..

Technically you are right however there is so much cross contamination when they package the grains that a sack of barley will end up having some wheat in it.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering if there are any commercially produced ales or beers made principally from corn (maize). I know that there are some beers and ales use small amounts of corn, and that the alcohol potential is about the same from all grains.

Also, has anyone had corn ale. If so, then how was it?
Utterly foul. Like thin, slighly sour, very pissy, poor-quality lager.

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Technically you are right however there is so much cross contamination when they package the grains that a sack of barley will end up having some wheat in it.

I also learned that there are related compounds in other grains that can trigger the same reaction.

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Here's one list of beer styles with descriptions. You can search through by using CTRL+F "corn" to see which beers may be made from corn.

Thanks, that's almost what I wanted, and it is interesting information anyway.

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Utterly foul. Like thin, slighly sour, very pissy, poor-quality lager.

That's what I wondered. After more searching I discovered that there can be different styles of ale made from the same basic materials, and it appears that corn is mostly used to add quantity with little attempt to make it good. For example, Bud has corn as an ingredient, but Harpoon IPA does not.

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
If you intend to brew it by yourself you can start here.

Thanks, that is interesting. After more searching and some thinking, I decided that malting corn and drying it in various ways could result in some interesting flavours. Mixing unmlted corn with the mat could make some good ale.