Platypuses should be Platypi.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Who came up with how things should be spelled anyway? ... it's time for a word revolution!!

Other examples include:

Panic should be spelled Panick - for the purpose of phonic intensity. *smirk*

Self should be spelled Slef - simply because that is one of my most frequent typographical errors.

I thought it might be fun to see which words you think should be spelled or pronounced a certain way and why you think they should be...

psy7ven

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree. I saw a documentary on the english language. Strange.

naybor
skool
skedule
freek
downut
wissle
dum
hart
eer
dizeezez
shuger
cheez
kach
wach
laf
threw
comme
bom
momma

I could go on and too.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
Platypuses should be Platypi.
Nonsense.

To quote an interview with the ABC:
What is the plural of platypus, anyway?
Dr Melody Serena from the Australian Platypus Conservancy did manage to clear up the question when she spoke to Leon Compton. Apparently, 'platypus' and 'platypuses' are correct enough for common use but, if you really want to be technical, the term you're looking for is 'platypode'.
A comment on the source of the confusion (and an insult about American writers who insist they are right) see: http://chezphil.org/rtw/e130.html

On Uncle Brian's trip a slightly irritating American guy insisted that the plural of platypus is platypi. "What rubbish", I thought, but he insisted that he must be right because he's a professional writer. (Actually he works in advertising.) So I've looked it up in the Oxford Australian Dictionary, and it's the same as octopus, not surprisingly. The ending -pus is from the Greek word for foot, and in greek the plural of pus is podes. So if you insist on using an original-language plural form it should be platypodes and octopodes. The plural form -pi is from Latin.
Mac

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Only people who are seriously anal concern themselves with being right all the time. I just wanna be comfortable.

Platypi is easier for me to say than platypuses but, now that we have platypode, I'm happy!

See, I can compromise.

psy7ven

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
>Only people who are seriously anal ...

Seriously? What about those of us who are just anal on a casual basis?

And the argument about the plural for 'octopus' simply doesn't make any sense. It seems that since 'pus' means foot', the plural of it ('feet') is 'pode'.

Fair enough. But then the name of the 'octopus'='eight foot' should really be 'octopode' ='eight feet'.

The same argument also applies for a platypus. Since the platypus has FOUR flat 'feet', it should really be called 'flat feet' = 'platy-pode' not 'flat foot' = 'platypus'.

And don't get me started on Bigfoot...

Mac

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Hahaha!

I am neither seriously nor casually anal. I am chronically anal. I suppose it's all good in the end.

:D

Eveningsdawn

Just Sing.
Registered
Reaction score
So, how many dyslexics does it change to take a lightbulb?

Or if you prefer,

Did you hear about the dyslexic devil worshiper who sold his soul to Santa?

Those are probably pretty tasteless, but in my defense I heard them from a girl who is dyslexic.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, but what's the plural of nemesis? Or of apocalypse?

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Sage said:

I'm not certain I want to know a plural for apocalypse. Does that mean I have to live through more than one? ;)

This is reminding me of the Gallagher routine about language. I can't remember all of it, but part of his rant was about pronouncing comb/bomb/tomb.

English, a rule for everything and an exception to every rule.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
TheIT said:
I'm not certain I want to know a plural for apocalypse. Does that mean I have to live through more than one? ;)
Ask Buffy. That's actually where both the questions come from :D

I guess anybody writing a post-apocalyptic SF, might have to worry about a second apocalypse too....

nandu

Registered
Reaction score
Sage said:

The plural for nemesis should be nemeses.

Albedo of Zero

That didn't hurt
Registered
Reaction score
Mac H. said:
>Only people who are seriously anal ...

Seriously? What about those of us who are just anal on a casual basis?

And the argument about the plural for 'octopus' simply doesn't make any sense. It seems that since 'pus' means foot', the plural of it ('feet') is 'pode'.

Fair enough. But then the name of the 'octopus'='eight foot' should really be 'octopode' ='eight feet'.

The same argument also applies for a platypus. Since the platypus has FOUR flat 'feet', it should really be called 'flat feet' = 'platy-pode' not 'flat foot' = 'platypus'.

And don't get me started on Bigfoot...

Mac

After reading all of this, my logic says that my pussycat's kittens will grow up to be podeycats. I don't argue with my logic too much.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
In high school, my best friend's last name was "Heronemus." We used to joke that her family could be considered a group of "Heronemi."

On a similiar note, someone at work didn't believe me that the plural of "sheep" is "sheep." :ROFL:

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
TheIT said:
This is reminding me of the Gallagher routine about language. I can't remember all of it, but part of his rant was about pronouncing comb/bomb/tomb.

I *love* that Gallagher routine! Of course, it works much better when spoken rather than read.

"c-o-m-b comb, p-o-m-b poem? No, p-o-e-m. Alright, p-o-e-m poem. H-o-e-m, home?" And so on... cracks me up. Then again, I have a tendency to write phoenetically. :box: