Writing For Charity: Kick Start Idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I'm not really motivated to write for either fame or fortune, and so far I've not produced much anyway. . .but if I did get my rear in gear, I'd seriously consider donating my work to charity.

So, wouldn't it be nice if someone would start an e-pub site on which one could offer their work and assign profits to charities of their choice?

If you'd like to take this idea to Kick Start, feel free.

::

(this post dedicated to banksy)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Giving your work to charity is fine, but only if no one else involved is getting paid. It's amazing how well-paid most charity organizers are, but also expect writers to work for free.

I have nothing against writing an article for a charity, but for the most part, why would a charity want anything else from a completely unknown writer? If you aren't known, and if you can't sell your work commercially, why on earth do you think it's going to generate any profit if you give it to a charity.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Lacewing,

I have to agree with James on this. If you want to donate your writing to your own established eepub for charity you have to be either (1) so well known that people want to read what you write and will donate to charity or (2) so good that word-of-mouth about your writing leads others to your website and to donate to charity.

As for taking the idea to kick-start, I'm sure that plenty of people who have come up with this idea and maybe even tried it.

My question to you: why have you not sought publication for your work? If you establish an e-pub to donate proceeds to charity, getting some of your own work published first and establishing a readership would be the way to go. :)

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Giving your work to charity is fine, but only if no one else involved is getting paid. It's amazing how well-paid most charity organizers are, but also expect writers to work for free.

I have nothing against writing an article for a charity, but for the most part, why would a charity want anything else from a completely unknown writer? If you aren't known, and if you can't sell your work commercially, why on earth do you think it's going to generate any profit if you give it to a charity.

I got to thinking (eventually) of these same issues, James.

First: I'd want such an endeavor to be closely associated with and endorsed by an outfit like Charity Watch, for instance.

Second (part A): there seems to be lots of free/low cost short stories available on smashwords/amazon maybe/other sites that have buyers who purchase on the basis of user reviews, word of mouth/blog, etc.

Second (part B): The charities who would like to participate might want to get involved as endorsers and/or editors, especially if they produce their own magazines. For instance, they might want to publicize some writer's efforts (with permission, of course) that they support.

Here's one scenario I've been envisioning (which needs work): Someone says to other writers, Hey, lets all work on writing for The Nature Conservancy, for example. That group writes and critiques each other's work. They "submit" their work individually for consideration by The Nature Conservancy, which then selects perhaps all or some for their endorsement. Or they what? Vote by group (anonymously?) for the pieces they want to publish together to create, for instance, a book of short works, all donated for their chosen charity?

Charities whose concern is literacy might play a big role, yes?

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Lacewing,

I have to agree with James on this. If you want to donate your writing to your own established eepub for charity you have to be either (1) so well known that people want to read what you write and will donate to charity or (2) so good that word-of-mouth about your writing leads others to your website and to donate to charity.

As for taking the idea to kick-start, I'm sure that plenty of people who have come up with this idea and maybe even tried it.

My question to you: why have you not sought publication for your work? If you establish an e-pub to donate proceeds to charity, getting some of your own work published first and establishing a readership would be the way to go. :)

Susan, good points. In response, I'll ramble a bit on what your post prompts:

My first two online pubs in 1996 and 1997 came with my own home-grown version of a Creative Commons license. They started their operation in 2001 . . .

My blog doesn't bother with any copyright info; maybe I need to CC it -- Oh! Maybe Creative Commons would be interested in this.

I have as much interest in "what makes the world go round" as I do in writing; I'm kind of curious if such a group would motivate me to produce more; I'm not at all interested in taking tax deductions or doing the bookkeeping of writerly income, which I'd expect to be so small as to be more nuisance than anything else. I just don't "do" business stuff if I can avoid it.

Hmm. Furthermore, if I were to get a "charity publication credit" to my name, that would count in some circles, especially the kind of circles I gravitate towards. Better that than a non-paid publication in some online lit mag that only lasts a few years. IMO, YMMV

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Yeah, the Creative Commons linkage -- what if they hooked up with the likes of Charity Watch and created another kind of license, one that allows free usage by properly vetted charity organizations?

:: This post dedicated to Creative Commons ::

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Yeah, the Creative Commons linkage -- what if they hooked up with the likes of Charity Watch and created another kind of license, one that allows free usage by properly vetted charity organizations?

:: This post dedicated to Creative Commons ::

More: What if one could CC something, say a blog post or even an epub on smashwords or whatever, with particular charity and choose to donate the copyright either without remuneration or with some specified amount? Creative Commons would notify the charity who could review it and "adopt" it under those terms (or maybe make a counter-offer?). That might stroke my writerly ego sufficiently.

Hmmm. Might also need PayPal involvement? I can imagine Facebook involvement, Google and other "like/share" services that seem to be everywhere for those whose works are endorsed by charities.

Adding: Maybe what would happen is that CC would get involved the in the like/share thing in the way that Facebook, google, stumble-upon, etc. are. It might be shown as "CCC" for "Creative Commons Charity."

Last edited:

lucky8

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting idea. I've been thinking about something like this but more likely the first months takings. I know that people have contributed to collections where all the money goes to charity but a whole novel is a big undertaking. Also not sure that Kick Starter is the best way to go as there are a lot of countries that it doesn't curently support.

Status
Not open for further replies.