PDA

View Full Version : to hyperlink or not to hyperlink?

CoffeeBlack
08-06-2012, 11:38 PM
Hi all,

I am publishing an ebook for a nonprofit. 25 chapters by 25 authors. All donated.

What do people think about hyperlinking? I ask because I know in the journals and online conferences, there is not much of this. So, for example, when an author mentions an organization, book or university, do you hyperlink it in the ebook for the reader? Do you hyperlink their professional website or book from their bio?

My gut is to have very few hyperlinks - just hyperlink the nonprofit, the way to donate to the nonprofit, and maybe a few more important organizations and books. The fear of course is that when you hyperlink, readers leave your book for something else.

Does anyone know the "norm" for hyperlinking in nonfiction books?

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

merrihiatt
08-06-2012, 11:53 PM
If the intention is to raise funds for the nonprofit, I would state that links are at the end of the e-book and then list them all at the end of the book.

Medievalist
08-07-2012, 12:00 AM
I'd list them all in a section at the end of the book.

I'd do it like this:

Name of Site/Organization with the link
(example.com)Brief one or two sentence description.

Christopher Wright
08-07-2012, 12:22 AM
If you include live hyperlinks in your ebook you won't be able to distribute it on Barnes & Noble's website via pubit. If you weren't planning to do that anyway, then it's not really that big a deal, but it's something to keep in mind.

benbradley
08-07-2012, 12:35 AM
Yes, hyperlinks can be a problem for several ebook distributors/retailers. Look at the terms to see just where you can and cannot link. Holly Lisle just went through a problem with that recently with Apple even though she was within the guidelines. It got straightened out, though perhaps only because the story went viral and got the attention at a higher-up with Apple who knew what they were doing.

As far as how hyperlinks are handled within the text, they are often treated line any other reference/footnote: listed at the bottom of the page, at the end of the chapter, or the end of the book, whatever style you think is appropriate.

CoffeeBlack
08-07-2012, 12:42 AM
If you include live hyperlinks in your ebook you won't be able to distribute it on Barnes & Noble's website via pubit. If you weren't planning to do that anyway, then it's not really that big a deal, but it's something to keep in mind.

Wow, thanks everyone for the helpful responses.

I had no idea that hyperlinks could cause such a headache, and I would like the book to be available via Barnes and Noble. So I am thinking I should forget the hyperlinks and just include the main url on the first page.

I am not including photos or graphics because I don't want headaches, so keeping hyperlinks out is a good idea too I guess, unless anyone wants to talk me out of it :)

CoffeeBlack
08-07-2012, 12:43 AM
Yes, hyperlinks can be a problem for several ebook distributors/retailers. Look at the terms to see just where you can and cannot link. Holly Lisle just went through a problem with that recently with Apple even though she was within the guidelines. It got straightened out, though perhaps only because the story went viral and got the attention at a higher-up with Apple who knew what they were doing.

As far as how hyperlinks are handled within the text, they are often treated line any other reference/footnote: listed at the bottom of the page, at the end of the chapter, or the end of the book, whatever style you think is appropriate.

Thank you! What I am trying to figure out is why folks use hyperlinks in ebooks if they can cause such a headache.

Medievalist
08-07-2012, 12:47 AM
Wow, thanks everyone for the helpful responses.

I had no idea that hyperlinks could cause such a headache, and I would like the book to be available via Barnes and Noble. So I am thinking I should forget the hyperlinks and just include the main url on the first page.

I am not including photos or graphics because I don't want headaches, so keeping hyperlinks out is a good idea too I guess, unless anyone wants to talk me out of it :)

I'd just make a separate ebook for B & N.

I wonder how Smashwords, who seem to be able to hybridize a single file to all the major online ebook retailers, handles external-to-the-book links?

CoffeeBlack
08-07-2012, 12:53 AM
I'd just make a separate ebook for B & N.

I wonder how Smashwords, who seem to be able to hybridize a single file to all the major online ebook retailers, handles external-to-the-book links?

Hmm, great question. I was going to upload to Smashwords and Kindle, so I was assuming that hpyerlinks are a bad idea for Smashwords because of B & N.

Wow, how nice it would be if one file worked for all ebook companies.

benbradley
08-07-2012, 01:27 AM
Since this seems to be a potential problem for a lot of people's ebooks, here are linke to Holly's Apple problems:
http://hollylisle.com/things-dont-look-good-for-my-future-with-apple/
http://hollylisle.com/amazing-apple-turnaround-well-accept-htts-lesson-6-with-the-links/

Medievalist
08-07-2012, 02:00 AM
Yeah, there's a ticky-box that you HAVE TO CLICK that says, essentially, "this file has been corrected wrt to previous change requests."

It's a very bad UI on Apple's part, since the ticky box is not obvious nor in a logical position on the screen. It's bitten a lot of uploaders.

Medievalist
08-07-2012, 02:01 AM
Hmm, great question. I was going to upload to Smashwords and Kindle, so I was assuming that hpyerlinks are a bad idea for Smashwords because of B & N.

Wow, how nice it would be if one file worked for all ebook companies.

Yeah, really. That will probably happen in the next two years, with the exception of metadata which is always going to be different.

I essentially hand-code multiple versions of a book. Yes, it's a PITA, but the books look purty.

merrihiatt
08-07-2012, 05:58 AM
I always include a link to my website in the back of my e-books. The link works fine for most e-readers. When I checked my book on the Nook app for iPad, it wasn't live, but it is there. Since my URL is http://merrihiatt.com, it wouldn't be hard for someone to remember. I format a separate book for B&N's PubIt!

Medievalist
08-07-2012, 06:20 AM
I always include a link to my website in the back of my e-books. The link works fine for most e-readers. When I checked my book on the Nook app for iPad, it wasn't live, but it is there. Since my URL is http://merrihiatt.com, it wouldn't be hard for someone to remember. I format a separate book for B&N's PubIt!

That suggest that authors could still include a list of links on a Website, just for readers of a book. They'd simply put a single link to that page/site at the end of the book, like you do.

This is pretty common for tech books; authors will often create mini site with links, and video, or explanations of code that would have made the book too long.