Spanish phrases

Lidiya

Skimming galaxies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.themacaw.wordpress.com
I don't know if there's another place here where you can ask for help in different languages, so I'm posting it here.
Mods, feel free to move it.

So, in a chapter, MC is in a plane that might just crash. The pilot (or whoever says things in a plane through the speakers -- I don't really know) says some things, and since the plane is going from Utah to Costa Rica, he's got to say it in English and Spanish.

I know a little Spanish, but not enough to translate it all. Any help, please? :)

Oh, and this might be obvious, but please can it be translated how it would be said in a plane? Not how friends would say it to each other (now I don't know if what I said makes sense). Also, does it sound...natural? I think they say things like that, because I go on a plane 2 times every year. Not sure, though.

Thanks!

---

"Ladies and gentlemen, we seem to have hit some turbulance. Please return to your designated seats, and make sure you have your seatbelts on. Thank you."

"Please do not panic and remain seated, thank you."

"Please put the protective masks over your nose and mouth, and breathe in deeply and evenly. Please do not panic, we are trying to get this under control."

---

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
"Damas y caballeros, estamos teniendo un poco de turbulencia. Regresen a sus asientos, por favor, y asegúrense de tener puesto su cinturón de seguridad. Gracias."

"Por favor no se asusten y permanezcan sentados, gracias."

"Por favor usar las máscaras protectoras sobre sus bocas y narices y respirar profundo y constante. Por favor no se asusten, hacemos lo posible para controlar esta situación."

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd make it:

"Ladies and gentlemen, we seem to have hit some turbulance. Please return to your designated seats, and make sure you have your seatbelts on. Thank you."

"Damas y caballeros, tenemos un poco de turbulencia. Por favor permanezcan en sus asientos y abrochen sus cinturones de seguridad. Gracias."

"Por favor no entren en pánico y permanezcan sentados, gracias."

"Please put the protective masks over your nose and mouth, and breathe in deeply and evenly. Please do not panic, we are trying to get this under control."

"Por favor colóquense las máscaras protectoras sobre boca y nariz, respiren profunda y calmadamente. No entren en pánico, estamos tratando de mantener la situación bajo control."

Lidiya

Skimming galaxies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
If you guys are still here, can you help me with another one?

"Sorry for the rough ride! We have everything under control now, and the turbulance seems to be behind us! May we also apologize for any injuries, panic and spilled food. Thank you."

Thank you!

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
It could vary on how corteous the speaker is.

"Sorry for the rough ride! We have everything under control now, and the turbulance seems to be behind us! May we also apologize for any injuries, panic and spilled food. Thank you."

"Lamentamos el viaje ajetreado. Tenemos todo bajo control y hemos dejado atrás la turbulencia. Igualmente pedimos disculpas por cualquier herida, pánico, y comida derramada. Gracias"

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
You're more than welcome. Considering how many tv shows, books and videogames half-ass their translations as long as they sound spanish (I'm looking at you, Deus Ex and Young Justice), it's really nice to help.

Lidiya

Skimming galaxies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
You're more than welcome. Considering how many tv shows, books and videogames half-ass their translations as long as they sound spanish (I'm looking at you, Deus Ex and Young Justice), it's really nice to help.

I once watched a movie with Spaniards who just said things along the lines of "Arriba! Arriba!" the whole time.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
One episode of Young Justice features a cult of superpowered spaniards... or something. It's glaringly obvious that they're english-speakers reciting literal-babelfished lines.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
One episode of Young Justice features a cult of superpowered spaniards... or something. It's glaringly obvious that they're english-speakers reciting literal-babelfished lines.

And don't get me when they mangle Spaniard, Mexican, Argentinean, etc. accent. I was actually surprised during a SNL sketch with Sofia Vergara that they did a rather good impression of Penelope Cruz's Spanish European accent.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't for the life of me think why you feel you have to write out what the pilot or cabin steward says in Spanish.

If I know routine announcements are in Spanish and English I don't need to have them written out in both languages.

Why does the announcement have to be typed out in full in both languages?

I don't know if there's another place here where you can ask for help in different languages, so I'm posting it here.
Mods, feel free to move it.

So, in a chapter, MC is in a plane that might just crash. The pilot (or whoever says things in a plane through the speakers -- I don't really know) says some things, and since the plane is going from Utah to Costa Rica, he's got to say it in English and Spanish.

I know a little Spanish, but not enough to translate it all. Any help, please? :)

Oh, and this might be obvious, but please can it be translated how it would be said in a plane? Not how friends would say it to each other (now I don't know if what I said makes sense). Also, does it sound...natural? I think they say things like that, because I go on a plane 2 times every year. Not sure, though.

Thanks!

---

---

Last edited:

Lidiya

Skimming galaxies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I can't for the life of me think why you feel you have to write out what the pilot or cabin steward says in Spanish.

If I know routine announcements are in Spanish and English I don't need to have them written out in both languages.

Why does the announcement have to be typed out in full in both languages?

I won't exactly type the announcement in English and then the full thing in Spanish again. I'll kinda use only some words or phrases...things like that. I want to know the full sentence though, so I can change what the person says if I need to.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure I follow this, but I wish you luck.

I won't exactly type the announcement in English and then the full thing in Spanish again. I'll kinda use only some words or phrases...things like that. I want to know the full sentence though, so I can change what the person says if I need to.