PDA

View Full Version : Mentioning Your Own Book in Reviews [moved from Book Promotion]

JustJas
08-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Is it ever ok to refer to your own book in a review?

I recently reviewed a book with a premise almost identical to one of my own and I was torn about whether to mention this in the review (I didn't).

I do feel it's in bad taste to promote your own book when reviewing others. On the other hand it wouldn't bother me if an author mentioned their book in a review of mine if it was very similar to my own. If it was just a random mention, with no connection to my book I'd be put out, and I'd hate to see it becoming common practice for authors to try and ride the coat tails of more successful books by flogging their own books in reviews.

I think I've already answered my own question, but I was wondering how others feel about this?

Terie
08-06-2012, 12:32 PM
No. NEVER.

Old Hack
08-06-2012, 12:58 PM
I think that in some cases it's ok for a reviewer to have a one- or two-line bio at the end of their reviews, in which they could mention one of their books; but to include a mention in the main review? Nope.

I'm going to move this to the Round Table, as it's not specifically to do with book promotion.

fireluxlou
08-06-2012, 01:00 PM
No and I think it's against Amazon rules as well. Plus it looks like shameless promotion.

Archerbird
08-06-2012, 01:51 PM
If I saw someone mention their own books in a review of someone else's book, I'd stay way clear of both the reviewer and their books.

shaldna
08-06-2012, 03:49 PM
N. it's not professional and it's not classy.

Stacia Kane
08-06-2012, 04:33 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't even review a book that similar to my own, much less mention mine. It makes the whole review look suspect.

scarletpeaches
08-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Another one chiming in to agree with everyone who's posted so far.

As shaldna says, it's not classy.

I've noticed a habit with some writers to relate their books to news items or suchlike. "I have a book out soon which deals with this very subject..." and, sad to say, to me, it just looks like tasteless opportunism.

rebekahmichel
08-07-2012, 01:17 AM
seems rude to me. The review is supposed to be about the other person's book, not yours.

veinglory
08-07-2012, 01:18 AM
Never

Pinguicha
08-07-2012, 02:08 AM
Yeah, never. A review is supposed to be about the book in question, not yours.

JustJas
08-07-2012, 05:49 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't even review a book that similar to my own, much less mention mine. It makes the whole review look suspect.

My intention was to start writing reviews under my pen name, giving honest but not harsh feedback (nothing under 3-stars). I see your point though that this could be taken the wrong way, particularly if the review is less than glowing.

You've now got my wondering if its ever appropriate for authors to write reviews on other authors' books, even if they're not in the same genre. I know a lot of authors endorse each others books, which is a different thing, but shoud authors publicly comment on each other's work? Or should reviews of other authors be confined only to positive feedback?

I'd be interested to hear what other people think and if you ever use your author name to write reviews.

RexJameson
08-07-2012, 06:41 AM
My intention was to start writing reviews under my pen name, giving honest but not harsh feedback (nothing under 3-stars). I see your point though that this could be taken the wrong way, particularly if the review is less than glowing.

You've now got my wondering if its ever appropriate for authors to write reviews on other authors' books, even if they're not in the same genre. I know a lot of authors endorse each others books, which is a different thing, but shoud authors publicly comment on each other's work? Or should reviews of other authors be confined only to positive feedback?

I'd be interested to hear what other people think and if you ever use your author name to write reviews.

Even if you mean well by this, you should be careful with reviewing books in your genres. Reviewing authors in your area with a 3 star review might not only earn retaliation from the author but also their fans, because they'll think you're either 1) riding the author's coattails, 2) reducing a competitor book's rating so yours looks better, or 3) being bitter about another author's success.

I don't personally feel this way, but I have heard enough horror stories to know that you probably don't want to open this can of worms. If you're going to review other author books, especially on Amazon or B&N, you may want to stay away from your writing name. Do not mention that you are an author or anything like that. Simply give a reader's perspective and leave it at that.

Old Hack
08-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Why do you want to use a pen-name for your reviews?

If the link between your reviewer-name and your writing-name is discovered--and it will be--I can see all sorts of problems ahead for you.

JustJas
08-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Why do you want to use a pen-name for your reviews?

If the link between your reviewer-name and your writing-name is discovered--and it will be--I can see all sorts of problems ahead for you.

My pen name is my writing name....which I've been using to write reviews, linked to my author account on various sites, but I am now wondering if this is a good idea. I just wanted to know if other authors wrote reviews using their author name (whether this be their real name or pen name). Hope this isn't too confusing!

Old Hack
08-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Ah--I got it wrong. I thought you meant that you were going to use a pseudonym for your review-writing to hide your identity, and separate those reviews from your other writing. I get it now.

Stacia Kane
08-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Even if you mean well by this, you should be careful with reviewing books in your genres. Reviewing authors in your area with a 3 star review might not only earn retaliation from the author but also their fans, because they'll think you're either 1) riding the author's coattails, 2) reducing a competitor book's rating so yours looks better, or 3) being bitter about another author's success.

I don't personally feel this way, but I have heard enough horror stories to know that you probably don't want to open this can of worms. If you're going to review other author books, especially on Amazon or B&N, you may want to stay away from your writing name. Do not mention that you are an author or anything like that. Simply give a reader's perspective and leave it at that.

This is my feeling as well, but when I dared to say so a while ago people behaved as if I'd said if you review another author's book you'll never get published ever.

My point was far less about other authors/the industry and far more about how readers perceive such reviews and how even before publication writers need to be careful what they say in public, but nobody wanted to pay attention to that part.

Jamesaritchie
08-07-2012, 05:41 PM
The only way I'd even review a book in my own genre is if I loved it so much it made me forget all about my own book.

And, no, I'd never, ever mention my own book in the review.

But it is permissible to mention any book you have out in a bio attached to the review.