Acceptance

Status
Not open for further replies.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Not wanting to clog up my other thread with too many tangents, here's a different questions for writers who have gotten agents and/or gotten published.

What types of rejections (and how many) did you get on that specific manuscript before it was eventually accepted?

Mike Coombes

Guru
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writers.ktf-design.com
I don't think there's any rule of thumb here. I know of one author off another board who got snagged by the first agent they submitted to, who had 3 publishers bidding for the book, and signed a 3 book deal with the one who offered the best advance. That's what we all would like.

Conversely I know of one who went through 6 agents in 4 years before finally getting a publishing deal.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
But even that proves the point. In order to get so many agents, you have to first be accepted by them, which is a step up the ladder.

I'm just trying to determine if and when you can tell if you're getting warmer.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
popmuze said:
But even that proves the point. In order to get so many agents, you have to first be accepted by them, which is a step up the ladder.

I'm just trying to determine if and when you can tell if you're getting warmer.

These are the steps as I understand them.

STEP 1
Form rejections
Then personalized rejections
Then rejections that are downright apologies.
Then requests for partials
Then for the ms
(Repeat the rejections of Step 1)

STEP 2
An agent wants to sign you
A year later you realize he is an idiot, a criminal, or both
(Repeat Step 1. You may skip Step 2, because you’re now too smart.)

STEP 3
A real agent wants to sign you, and you sign.

STEP 4
Step 4 is a repeat of Step 1, but your agent is doing it with publishers
Success! A publisher wants to sign, and you sign

STEP 5
A year or two of revisions and waiting
At long last, publication!

STEP 6
Book fails in the marketplace
Agent drops you, for you are an idiot, an incompetent, or both

STEP 7
Repeat Step 1

STEP 8
Change name
Repeat Step 1

STEP 9
You die
Your estate repeats Step 1

Last edited:

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
I believe I'm on step 7 (for the 10th time).

But as soon as I hit it big, all those out of print books will start selling again. Except it will be for 25 cents apiece on Amazon (and I won't even get my 2 cents royalty).

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Warmer

popmuze said:
Not wanting to clog up my other thread with too many tangents, here's a different questions for writers who have gotten agents and/or gotten published.

What types of rejections (and how many) did you get on that specific manuscript before it was eventually accepted?

I think the only way you know you're getting warmer is when a legitimate, selling agent agrees to take you on as a client. That's warmer. Hot is when that agents sells your novel.

I sold right off the bat. My first short story sold, then the first agent I queried took me on, and sold the first novel she saw to the first editor she submitted it to in only a month or so.

travNastee

in a bulletproof vest...
Registered
Reaction score
Jamesaritchie said:
I sold right off the bat. My first short story sold, then the first agent I queried took me on, and sold the first novel she saw to the first editor she submitted it to in only a month or so.

And here I thought my ratio thread would be depressing on some level.

Mike Coombes

Guru
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writers.ktf-design.com
Jamesaritchie said:
I think the only way you know you're getting warmer is when a legitimate, selling agent agrees to take you on as a client. That's warmer. Hot is when that agents sells your novel.

This is true. Anything less is stone cold.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Jamesaritchie said:

In a similar confessional spirit, I got my first book deal when a fellow author introduced me to his editor. My first YA novel came from a non fiction proposal submitted by my agent, when the editor said, "I'd like to see him try this as fiction." That lasted for three books and two agents.
Most of the agents I've gotten through the time honored way of coming to them with a book deal already in hand.
The last agent sold my non-fiction proposal about three months after my previous agent told me it would never sell.
But since this agent wasn't interested in adult fiction, I've been shopping my manuscript without an agent for the first time since 1976. Having had a rocky relationship with fiction throughout my career, it's been interesting to see the responses of agents and editors to this manuscript.
Obviously, until it gets published, it's not good enough to be published.
I'm just wondering how to determine if it's good enough to be shopped.
If you ask me, on any given day, my answer varies.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
popmuze said:
In a similar confessional spirit, I got my first book deal when a fellow author introduced me to his editor. My first YA novel came from a non fiction proposal submitted by my agent, when the editor said, "I'd like to see him try this as fiction." That lasted for three books and two agents.
Most of the agents I've gotten through the time honored way of coming to them with a book deal already in hand.
The last agent sold my non-fiction proposal about three months after my previous agent told me it would never sell.
But since this agent wasn't interested in adult fiction, I've been shopping my manuscript without an agent for the first time since 1976. Having had a rocky relationship with fiction throughout my career, it's been interesting to see the responses of agents and editors to this manuscript.
Obviously, until it gets published, it's not good enough to be published.
I'm just wondering how to determine if it's good enough to be shopped.
If you ask me, on any given day, my answer varies.

I've always gone with the assumption that anyting I write is good enough to be shopped. This isn't from arrogance, but because time after time my judgement has proven wrong. Things I believe are lousy sell, and things I believe are great never find a home.

So I follow the Heinlein advice of submit it, and keep submitting it, until there isn't a place left to submit it. It's worked out pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.