PoC Forum Favorite Fiction Book Recs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

djrashn

Deus ex Harry Potter.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here, but I've done some looking and have been unable to find a thread about books with POC as the protag. I could have missed it, but...
I experience this same problem whenever I walk into Barnes and Noble. It could be because I live in Montana, but ;) maybe not.
Is there a list here of books with POC as the protag?
If not, I'm confident that this group knows some great stories that I've never heard of.
Could we devote a few moments, share our resources, make a list and make it a sticky?

While I am really only looking for the kind of books I like to read, Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, The Name of the Wind, Dresden Files(Mostly YA/MG Fantasy), this could be an inclusive list with authors like Walter Dean Myers, Octavia Butler, and Stafford Battle.(Just to name a few)

I know these types of books exist, I just have a hard time finding them and while I no longer wish to read thug books, overcoming racism books, POC token books, minority sidekick only books, black buffoon books, Asian martial artists stories, scifi Africa, blacks with drug problems, angry black man, drug dealer, books where the characters use the words 'brotha, sistah, homeboy', slave stories, mammy, maid, or house keeper stories, etc...................... if you like these stories I don't mean to offend. Read what you will.

Such a list would be helpful to me, and maybe others as well.:)

Thanks in advance.

I'll even start it with:

1. The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer.
2. The Kane Chronicles by Rick Riordan.

Last edited:

djrashn

Deus ex Harry Potter.
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, here's another book I really enjoyed.

3. A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Just a couple more:

Moxyland by Lauren Beukes. Cyberpunk set in South Africa. Cell phones and police dogs can kill you. Sometimes in that order. Fun times.

Misfit by Jon Skovron. YA horror, protag is part-demon, Middle Eastern, struggling to tap into her powers and find out more about her family history. Really good read--definitely exceeded by expectations.

This is a slightly less current example, but Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman. The modern-day adventures of the descendents of a Maori trickster god. Possibly my favorite thing Gaiman's written.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
Thank y'all for this!

The Vampire Huntress series by LA Banks.

Almost anything by Tananarive Due.

The Gilda Stories By Jewel Gomez

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Could you guys specific the ethnicity of the POC protag?

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
N K Jemisin's The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, a fantasy whose MC is a dark-skinned/dark-haired (presumably equivalent to black/African?) woman.

Karen Lord's Redemption in Indigo, a folk-tale type of novel set (somewhere in, sorry can't remember) Africa.

Jackie Kay's Trumpet, a story about the post-death experiences of a black transgender jazz musician's family.

djrashn

Deus ex Harry Potter.
Registered
Reaction score
Sure...

The House of the Scorpion..... Matt....Hispanic from a strip of land between Mexico and the US called Aztlan

The Kane Chronicles..............Carter and Sadie Kane...Biracial....Black and white....If I remember right, Carter grew up in the US, while Sadie was raised in the UK by her grandparents. They have Egyptian heritage.

A Single Shard.....................Tree-ear....Korean

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Carl Brandon Society site has lots of good book recs as well! I could name a ton of them but at the moment my brain feels like it has been replaced by taffy. Soon though. In the meantime I bestow upon you a better thread title.

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
N K Jemisin's The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, a fantasy whose MC is a dark-skinned/dark-haired (presumably equivalent to black/African?) woman.
First protagonist is roughly half Mayan, I think. (I thought I caught kinky hair mentioned, but that might have been just me).

Protag of second book is roughly supposed to be African (Also blind for interest in other kinds of diversity--BTW, look at her blog for notes about that and how she said she messed up.)

Protagonist of third book was kind of a mess up... but I'm not quite sure how to tell her and I haven't read it yet. Third protag is supposed to be male, and CHINESE. But she modeled him after Bi who is clearly NOT Chinese, but Korean... (Which is a screw up...)

Despite that, the stories are really good. (Haven't read the third one.)

Throne of the Crescent Moon by Saladin Ahmed. South Western Asia? The country isn't very specified. There are Arabic terms used, though. Roughly Islamic South Western Asia. (I refuse to use the term Middle East. Middle East of WHERE?)
I started it, but I'm struggling through it since I'm not too keen on long descriptions of war and battles. I'm more into things like how the markets work, how to make a rug, what does it take to make a meal, social relationships to survive in a society... but I've always been like that. Also I kinda lost track of the story because there were a few flashbacks... I'm powering through it for now.

The Blood of Flowers by Anita Amirrezvani
Persia, set from a woman's POV. It's about Persian rug making at the height of it. The story should feel familiar since the structure of it follows Aristotle. (I recognized it was so about halfway through)

Indu Sundaresan--all of the books she writes The Twentieth Wife (And sequels, as well as other books)

Palace of Illusions by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni (India or Indian-American)

Virginia Hamilton--The People Could Fly (One of my favorite books) Features several stories with African Americans or Africans. Great for kids. It started my hard core love of Anansi, the spider-trickster.

Their Eyes were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston.
Starts out with a woman burying her husband. It's ultimately about women in Louisiana dealing with men and race, but more on love than it is on race.

Well, personally, all of Zora Neale Hurston.... but that's another story. She also has folktale collections from Creole roots.

And because it'll be mentioned... Beloved by Toni Morrison. Which is about the best treatment to date I've seen on the psychology of slavery and slavery. It's kind of an answer to "Uncle Tom's Cabin."

Waiting to Exhale by Terry McMillian Women's fiction.

How Stella got her Groove Back (Which has controversy around it, but I like the book, particularly since it features an older female protagonist and some stylistic choices that I like as well.)

http://chickenspaghetti.typepad.com/chicken_spaghetti/2007/11/i-asked-for-sug.html

Magic's Silken Snare by Elizabeth Gillian (a Romani descendant)--since they originally came from Indo-European India, I believe it counts, especially since the book is set historically. Also has a woman protagonist.

Silver Phoenix and Fury of the Silver Phoenix by Cindy Pon. For the first one, if possible, support the FIRST cover, not the second edition. =P Kinda an F-you to the publisher for whitewashing....

Korea... Linda Sue Park (all books) and Marie G. Lee both write with Korean protagonists. Younha Lee is Korean, but doesn't write with Korean protags so far. Both YA, though... TT I'm the only Korean trying to write adult books based in Korea while living in the US... my fellow Koreans need to help out too. (And get off of the Memoirs of Lady Hyegyong--unless there is a drama done from her POV, then no.)

Japan? Kokoro (meaning roughly heart/mind) by Natsume Soseki. I like it for the almost every day nature of the stories. It looks at relationships and connections.

Unfortunately, contemporary, non-sci-fi/fantasy isn't being translated as much, so you'll have to hunt down for translations.

Nnedi Okorafor of Nigerian descent. A range of African protagonists.

Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler

Amy Tan--Chinese protagonists.

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden Meh. Kinda feels like a white man's fantasy... I rather read the biographies of actual Geisha.

Huntress (On my to-read list) by Malinda Lo has a Native American and Japanese protagonist with a thankfully PoC cover. Also Lesbian protags without going into the usual stereotypes.

I can't remember the one set in China with paper folding... Didn't like that one so probably better not to list it.

Ahh~ I have holes in Polynesia, Native American, First Nation and South America. Aboriginal Australia I only know light folktales about that. (I'm not a huge fan of Magic Realism... but that's what's being imported. Blech.)

Probably missing a few that I've read over time... they are in my Parent's house on my childhood room's bookshelf.

If you want nonfiction included, I have a host of other books too. Just ask.

Last edited:

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I love and admire the writing of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Her books are:

Black Narcissus -- a harrowing story of child abuse in rural Nigeria, but not only.

Half of a Yellow Sun -- set against the background of the Biafra crisis -- younger people won't remember this, but I do, and it was great to read a book about a disaster I was too young to understand at the time.

The Noose Around Her Neck -- a book of beautiful short stories -- and I don't usually reas short stories.

All with black African protagonists.

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
-- Lisa See. Chinese MCs

May I add my own books? They are mostly out of print but still available second hand.

Of Marriageable Age - set in Guyana, England and India. Main protags are Indian, but also black MCs.

Peacocks Dancing -- set in Guyana and India. African-Indian-Amerindian mixed race MC.

The Speech of Angels -- set in India, Indian MC

Last edited:

djrashn

Deus ex Harry Potter.
Registered
Reaction score
There is a book titled SOLD, written by Patricia McCormick. It's about a little girl from Nepal who's sold into sex slavery. It was so sad that no one in my family would finish it, so I sent it to my oldest sister. If you like that kind of story, the first chapter was pretty good.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Oh gosh. I ache for that but probably couldn't finish it either. I wrote a novel about it, but fairly mild; Peacocks Dancing. I researched girls sold into sex slavery in Indian in Bombay for that book. My interview with the doctor helping those girls is here.

djrashn

Deus ex Harry Potter.
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome interview, but sad. Sometimes I wonder why women don't run away and start their own country.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Does anyone have any suggestions for Urban Fantasy and/or some Suspense/Thriller with a black character as the protagonist? I've heard Octavia Butler and L.A. Banks mentioned before. Are there any others I've missed?

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
Does anyone have any suggestions for Urban Fantasy and/or some Suspense/Thriller with a black character as the protagonist? I've heard Octavia Butler and L.A. Banks mentioned before. Are there any others I've missed?
Blade is the only UF I can think of with a black protagonist, but that's comic books. There are other comic books, but for a story novel-sized long, can't think of any.

If you want PoCs in a subgenre of speculative fiction where they haven't really shown up, there is Steampunk...

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com

I don't really like Orson Scott Card for a variety of reasons, but he wrote Magic Street which features a black MC in LA in an Urban Fantasy-esque environment.

Everyone else pretty much listed my other picks.

djrashn

Deus ex Harry Potter.
Registered
Reaction score
He doesn't write fantasy, but Walter Dean Myers is prolific in fiction:

Where Does the Night Go?, illustrated by Leo Carty. (Parents Magazine Press, 1969)
The Dancers, illustrated by Anne Rockwell (Parents Magazine Press, 1972)
The Dragon Takes a Wife, illustrated by Ann Grifalconi (Bobbs-Merrill, 1972)
Fly, Jimmy, Fly!, illustrated by Moneta Barnett (Putnam, 1974)
Fast Sam, Cool Clyde, and Stuff (Viking, 1975)
The World of Work : a Guide to Choosing a Career (Bobbs-Merrill, 1975)
Social Welfare (Franklin Watts, 1976)
Victory for Jamie (Scholastic, 1977)
Mojo and the Russians (Viking, 1977)
Brainstorm, illustrated with photographs by Chuck Freedman (Franklin Watts, 1977)
It Ain't All for Nothin' (V, 1978)
The Young Landlords (Viking, 1979) - A group of kids take over an apartment building and struggle to maintain it
The Golden Serpent, illustrated by Alice and Martin Provensen (Viking, 1980)
The Black Pearl and the Ghost; or, One Mystery after Another, illustrated by Robert Quackenbush (Viking, 1980)
The Legend of Tarik (Viking, 1981)
Hoops (Delacorte, 1981) - A promising basketball player tries not to end up like his former pro-playing coach
Won't Know Till I Get There (Viking, 1982) - A 14-year-old boy, his newly adopted brother, and his friends are forced to work in a retirement home
Tales of a Dead King (William Morrow and Company, 1983)
The Nicholas Factor (Viking, 1983)
Motown and Didi: A Love Story (Viking, 1984) - A young couple's romance, and their struggle living in Harlem
Mr. Monkey and the Gotcha Bird, illustrated by Leslie Morrill (Delacorte, 1984)
The Outside Shot (Delacorte, 1984) - A talented Harlem basketball player goes to college to play
Crystal (1987) - The life of a girl who becomes a model.
Fallen Angels (1988) - Young men in the army during the Vietnam war
Scorpions (1990) - a 12-year-old is asked to lead his brother's gang
The Mouse Rap (1990) - A 14-year-old is determined to find the loot from a 1930s bank heist.
Now Is Your Time! The African-American Struggle for Freedom (1992)
The Righteous Revenge of Artemis Bonner (1994) - a 12-year-old boy goes after a man that murdered his uncle.
Darnell Rock Reporting (1994) - A 13 year old boy joins the school newspaper.
The Glory Field (1994) - A family's account of their struggle in America from the 18th century to the 1990s.
Shadow of the Red Moon (1995)
Slam (1998) - A young black teen with an attitude problem deals with life on and off the basketball court.
Monster (1999) A 16-year-old black boy is charged with murder.
We Were Heroes: The Journal of Scott Pendleton Collins - A World War II Soldier, Normandy, France, 1944 (1999)
145th Street: Short Stories (2001)
Greatest: Muhammad Ali (2001)
Bad Boy; A Memoir (2002) (a part of the Amistad Series) - Myers' life as a young boy growing up in 1940s Harlem
Handbook for Boys: A Novel (2003)
Somewhere in the Darkness (2003) - A young boy travels to Arkansas with a father he didn't grow up with
Thanks & Giving: All year long (2004)
Shooter (2004) - two friends of a school shooter give an account of him to the police
The Beast (2003) - A 17-year-old boy comes back to his home in Harlem from his boarding school to find that the girl he loves is using drugs.
Autobiography of My Dead Brother (2098) - A 14-year-old boy copes with life in Harlem by drawing
Street Love (2006) - A poetic novel of a romance in Harlem
What They Found: Love on 145th Street (2007)
Harlem Summer (2007)
Game (2008)
Sunrise Over Fallujah (2008) - A sequel to Fallen Angels, taking place in the Iraq War.
Dopesick (2009) - A teenager kills a policeman, and must contemplate his future
Riot (2009) A fictional account of the New York Draft Riots in 1863, during the Civil War, by the 15-year-old daughter of a black man and an Irish immigrant.
Amiri & Odette (2009) Myers takes classic Swan Lake ballet and recasts it into hip-hop verse.
Lockdown (2010)

This list is from Wikipedia, so I don't know if it's 100% accurate, but if not I guess it's close. I've been reading WDM since middle school and haven't found one I don't like yet, although sometimes I get tired of reading about crime, drugs, poverty, racism, and death.
Fast Sam Cool Clyde and Stuff, Game, and Handbook for Boys are my favorites. Handbook for Boys has been and is required reading for all of my kids, even the girls.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Ben Aaronovich writes a really great series. Midnight Riot/Rivers of London is amazing, and the sequel is Moon Over Soho. You notice that the cover character is shown in silhouette so nobody could ever know he's black. The protagonist is an English dude of African descent I Believe.

The Chaos by Nalo Hopkinson is a great atypical YA UF about a biracial Canadian girl who identifies as black. She is the kid of a white Jamaican dad and a black Canadian mom.

Oh, and Anansi Boys! Yeah!

The trouble with UF as a whole is that it sucks at portraying PoC, queer people, ppl with disabilities, etc, because it is so big on "monster as superficial metaphor for various sorts of otherness". Which tends to have the unfortunate side effect of erasing actual minorities in most cases. (not all UF, but an enormous majority of it)

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
If you want PoCs in a subgenre of speculative fiction where they haven't really shown up, there is Steampunk...

I haven't really read that much of Steampunk. I know a lot of people who like it though. I heard it was good. Any authors/books I should start with?

I don't really like Orson Scott Card for a variety of reasons, but he wrote Magic Street which features a black MC in LA in an Urban Fantasy-esque environment.

Everyone else pretty much listed my other picks.
Interesting. I can look at him.

Ben Aaronovich writes a really great series. Midnight Riot/Rivers of London is amazing, and the sequel is Moon Over Soho. You notice that the cover character is shown in silhouette so nobody could ever know he's black. The protagonist is an English dude of African descent I Believe.

The Chaos by Nalo Hopkinson is a great atypical YA UF about a biracial Canadian girl who identifies as black. She is the kid of a white Jamaican dad and a black Canadian mom.

Oh, and Anansi Boys! Yeah!

The trouble with UF as a whole is that it sucks at portraying PoC, queer people, ppl with disabilities, etc, because it is so big on "monster as superficial metaphor for various sorts of otherness". Which tends to have the unfortunate side effect of erasing actual minorities in most cases. (not all UF, but an enormous majority of it)

Oh. Cool. Thanks. I might look into the YA recc., but I don't know. I'm not that big of a fan of YA honestly, and I mean that in the least non-offensive way.

I don't know if it sucks at portraying PoC. Mostly because I don't see that much of them. Right now, the only two prominent UF MCs I can name that are PoCs are Jane Yellowrock and Mercy Thompson. Granted, I'm not extremely well versed in the UF genre yet. However, I seriously don't see that many PoCs as main characters, which honestly kind of makes me just a bit sad. :(

Don't forget the Ladies' Detektive Club series -- which I haven't read, so this is not necessarily a rec. But black female MC.

I read a small little section that. It didn't grab as I thought it would but I guess I could always give it a second chance.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
I really liked The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing by MT Anderson (YA). It's historical fiction and there are two books. A quick summary of the first (thanks wikipedia)

The greater part of the story is told by a boy named Octavian, who grew up with his mother Cassiopeia, an African princess, in a house full of philosophers and scientists in colonial Boston. Under the watchful eyes of Mr. Gitney, also known as 03-01, Octavian has received a classical education as well as a musical education which has made him into an extremely skilled violinist. Octavian eventually comes to understand the price of his powdered wigs and education: he is not only the "property" of Mr. Gitney, but he is also being used as an experiment to test whether the African race is inferior to the European race.

Also in YA Dia Reeves writes black female protagonists and her work is all dark speculative fiction, horror fantasy, even: Bleeding Violet and Slice of Cherry

djrashn

Deus ex Harry Potter.
Registered
Reaction score
Mike Resnick....... Kirinyaga and Bwana.

Bwana is a short story by Resnick and appears in Hunting the Snark and Other Short Novels. It's a short story from the Kirinyaga world, which I truly enjoyed. It's a mix of ancient Africa and sci-fi.

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
Tales of a Korean Grandmother by Frances Carpenter (collector)
I loved these as a kid, though it is a bit depressing to have to have someone who is white to get it to be published... :p Does that mean my overly white Jewish name can sell books.

Anyway, it covers most of the major Korean folktales. Currently using what I remember of it to build the magic system...

Status
Not open for further replies.