PDA

View Full Version : Short fiction contest?

CJacobo
08-05-2012, 12:24 PM
I wanted to feel out how much interest there might be in me sponsoring a writing contest for short fiction writers. The winners would be chosen by the board and first place would get 150 bucks.

The contest would be held to see who can present the most effective short story based on the following prompt:

Write a short story about a conflict between a man and woman, presented almost entirely in dialogue.

It would be a good chance to work out those writing muscles and make a bit of cash. If this sounds like something you all would like to do, reply with comments below; I think we would need at least 10 serious writers to agree to the contest to make it worth while.

archerjoe
08-05-2012, 06:58 PM
Sounds intriguing. What are the particulars such as word count, deadline, etc.?

CL_Hilbert
08-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Well, I'd maybe be game. Is there an entry fee for this contest? Are works submitted to this contest considered published? Is this contest open to all genres? (Because I write science fiction and fantasy and I notice those genres tend not to do so well in open-genre contests.)

Also, seconding ArcherJoe with word count and deadline.

mirandashell
08-05-2012, 08:31 PM
I would also like to know the above details. Especially is it considered published if I enter a piece? And if yes, who has the rights?

CJacobo
08-06-2012, 02:34 AM
I would also like to know the above details. Especially is it considered published if I enter a piece? And if yes, who has the rights?

This contest would be purely academic. The 150 bucks will be paid by me via PayPal. There is NO entry fee. I just want to get people motivated to work on their writing.

The works would not be considered published, they are just for the good of the board and it's community and yourselves. You can do whatever you would like with your stories after the contest.

As for a deadline, I was just thinking that all submissions should be in by the 15th of this month (August) and then the votes would be counted on the 1st of next month (September). For word count, no more than 3k words If we are aiming for 5 pages.

As for the genre, it is open to them all. The goal is to write an effective short story that satisfies the prompt the way you think it should.

Smish
08-06-2012, 03:56 AM
Is it your intention for AW to host this contest? If so, you need to run it past the board owner before you do anything.

AW Admin
08-06-2012, 04:20 AM
Since the site owner has not been consulted, I'm going to lock this until Mac can deal with it.

MacAllister
08-06-2012, 07:33 AM
The board owner has been consulted, and I'm okay with it - I've talked a bit with Caleb backchannel about the project.

Sounds like fun!

Re-opening, now.

CJacobo
08-06-2012, 07:53 AM
The board owner has been consulted, and I'm okay with it - I've talked a bit with Caleb backchannel about the project.

Sounds like fun!

Re-opening, now.

Thank you MacAllister,

As for the contest itself, it is purely academic. I wanted to get our short fiction writers writing and working on their craft.

I am putting up the 150 bucks for the contest, and will also be finding a fun prize as well, like a book on short stories of your choice or something.

Right now, I'm just trying to see if there is any intrest in actually holding the contest. If not enough people want to do it, then we have to figure something else out.

KellyAssauer
08-06-2012, 08:12 AM
If not enough people want to do it, then we have to figure something else out.

How many people are 'enough' for you?
-And how many days have I got to find them? ;)

benbradley
08-06-2012, 08:24 AM
Get paid for writing? What an idea!!!

MacAllister
08-06-2012, 08:28 AM
Well, Smish runs her annual back-to-school kid-lit contest, too, about this time of year. I'm thinking that we bump this conversation into a temporary room of its own, make it a board-wide contest, and look at a deadline before the holidays?

That would give folks who want to write something new time to polish a couple of drafts, and set up voting rounds and so on?

CJacobo
08-06-2012, 08:32 AM
How many people are 'enough' for you?
-And how many days have I got to find them? ;)

KellyAssauer,

I was thinking that we need 10 finalist and 3 winners, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places. 1st place would win the 150 bucks and a collection of short stories, and second and third place would win 50 bucks each. I know AW has held contests before, so you might help me on how many submissions we need to end up at the 10 finalists.

I was hoping to have all submissions in by the 15th of this month (open to change), then announce the winners on the 1st of next month. So that would be 10 days from now to have all the submissions in.

Does that sound doable?

EDIT: see next post as well. Mac has a good idea for the timing of the contest.

CJacobo
08-06-2012, 08:33 AM
Well, Smish runs her annual back-to-school YA and kid-lit contest, too, about this time of year. I'm thinking that we bump this conversation into a temporary room of its own, make it a board-wide contest, and look at a deadline before the holidays?

That would give folks who want to write something new time to polish a couple of drafts, and set up voting rounds and so on?

This sounds good.

CJacobo
08-06-2012, 08:42 AM
Get paid for writing? What an idea!!!

I know right? Hopefully the incentive will get our writer's fingers clicking away though, and that's what is important for me with this.

night-flyer
08-06-2012, 09:15 AM
Now that sounds like a very interesting and generous proposal. There's no way, with working 42 hrs a week, that I could make the 15th, but if the deadline is going to be before the holidays you can count me in.

I assume that more details will be given later after seeing if there's enough people interested?

CJacobo
08-06-2012, 09:31 AM
Now that sounds like a very interesting and generous proposal. There's no way, with working 42 hrs a week, that I could make the 15th, but if the deadline is going to be before the holidays you can count me in.

I assume that more details will be given later after seeing if there's enough people interested?

Hi night-flyer,

the timing will most likely move to before the holidays, so I'm glad we can count you in!

You are correct, more details will come out as we figure more out.

MacAllister
08-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Yeah, we've got a crapload of people who only log in a couple of times a week, too, because of work and family and meatspace obligations (I know, weird, right?). I know this stuff kind of seems to take forever to execute, but we had over 300 submissions from AWers for last year's anthology, as just one example.

My thought is that Caleb and I can put our heads together and hammer out some guidelines, timelines, and details and I'll set up a temporary room to run the contest out of. We need, for example, to post some actual contest details like which rights (if any) the winning entries are giving up, how the judging will work, and so on.

How many of you were around a few years ago when we ran the AW Idol contest? It was a months-long process. I don't think Caleb is envisioning anything quite so involved (and I know *I'M* not) but this could be a really fun fall project that inspires a lot of folks to stretch their wings.

night-flyer
08-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Good to meet you, Caleb. :)

I think this is a great idea to get people writing if they're not already, and even if they are it'll get them out of their comfy zone and into trying something new, perhaps.

I was just wondering about who would choose the winners, or if there was going to be an open forum vote, and where to send the stories when we were done. I'll keep checking back to see what you two come up with.

In the meantime, I'll go pester my muse if I can find it.

CJacobo
08-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Good to meet you, Caleb. :)

I think this is a great idea to get people writing if they're not already, and even if they are it'll get them out of their comfy zone and into trying something new, perhaps.

I was just wondering about who would choose the winners, or if there was going to be an open forum vote, and where to send the stories when we were done. I'll keep checking back to see what you two come up with.

In the meantime, I'll go pester my muse if I can find it.

I've got a great group helping me with the specifics here at AW, so as soon as we work out the details to answer your question, I'll post them up. Thanks again for your interest night-flyer.

EDIT: tell your muse to come see me when she isn't busy.

CJacobo
08-06-2012, 11:15 AM
Since KellyAssauer has the link in her signature, I thought I might give the people who see this thread something to do.

If you are interested in seeing this contest come to life, or are interested in participating, and haven't spoken up here, please leave a quick note letting me know.

Opinionated Ant
08-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Think it sounds great! not sure if I can do it since I'm going on vacation soon and embarassed but have no idea what holiday you all are talking about. I also forget my birth date...

Tweeted thread and interested to see how it goes!

KellyAssauer
08-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Since KellyAssauer has the link in her signature, I thought I might give the people who see this thread something to do.

If you are interested in seeing this contest come to life, or are interested in participating, and haven't spoken up here, please leave a quick note letting me know.

CJacobo, I think I can find you some interest!! - which is why I added this link to my siggy, and added it to the list of August AW prompts, challenges & contests which can be found here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234837&page=2).

With Mac's blessing, a global announcement, and a little assistance, I'm sure you'll have a very successful contest! If there's anything I can do to help, lemme know*. :e2cheer:

*without going overboard... right Mac? ;)

CJacobo
08-06-2012, 02:44 PM
CJacobo, I think I can find you some interest!! - which is why I added this link to my siggy, and added it to the list of August AW prompts, challenges & contests which can be found here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234837&page=2).

With Mac's blessing, a global announcement, and a little assistance, I'm sure you'll have a very successful contest! If there's anything I can do to help, lemme know*. :e2cheer:

*without going overboard... right Mac? ;)

Thank you for your help KellyAssauer, I appreciate the drive AW has shown to get the contest going.

I'm sure we will chat more as this thing rolls forward.

JMC2009
08-06-2012, 03:56 PM
+jumps up and down with her hand in the air+ pick me pick me! I wanna play!

:-)

But yeah, I couldn't have anything done by the 15. Its crazy right now.

How hard would it be to compile all the entries into an e-pub? Or maybe just a pdf that can be downloaded by AWers?

mirandashell
08-06-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm in. Does flash fiction qualify?

CJacobo
08-06-2012, 04:56 PM
I'm in. Does flash fiction qualify?
Great to hear it mirandashell!

As for flash fiction, we will announce the specifics on the length requirements when we can, but because of flash fictions extreme brevity, it may not be acceptable.

I hope that either way you will join in the contest mate!

CJacobo
08-06-2012, 05:26 PM
+jumps up and down with her hand in the air+ pick me pick me! I wanna play!

:-)

But yeah, I couldn't have anything done by the 15. Its crazy right now.

How hard would it be to compile all the entries into an e-pub? Or maybe just a pdf that can be downloaded by AWers?

Thanks for the interest JMC2009!

Great suggestion with e-pud/pdf and we will add it to the conversation as we figure out the details.

Also, I saw the donation link in your signature for the historical site in Kansas and I gave a little to help and posted it to my FB. I hope it can be saved.

victoriakmartin
08-06-2012, 05:30 PM
I'd be interested, assuming the deadline does get changed to be a little further away, which it sounds like it will. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for more details.

redwriter99
08-06-2012, 05:42 PM
I'd be interested as well, but the deadline and word count will probably determine whether I can have something ready for submittal.

I think it's a great idea for the contest whether I am able to make it or not.

CJacobo
08-06-2012, 06:03 PM
I'd be interested, assuming the deadline does get changed to be a little further away, which it sounds like it will. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for more details.

Glad to have you i_paint_the_sky!

I'd be interested as well, but the deadline and word count will probably determine whether I can have something ready for submittal.

I think it's a great idea for the contest whether I am able to make it or not.

Thanks for the support redwriter99! I hope the contest conditions will allow you to participate.

Angie
08-06-2012, 06:13 PM
Ooh, with a deadline closer to the holidays, I'd be in. I love these experimental prompts, like dialogue-only. :D

CJacobo
08-06-2012, 06:17 PM
Ooh, with a deadline closer to the holidays, I'd be in. I love these experimental prompts, like dialogue-only. :D

Sounds good Angie, the deadline is almost certainly pushed back to give everyone enough time. I'm exited to see your work!

soapdish
08-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Damn! I just sold a story like this. For a lot less than what you're offering to pay. :tongue

I'm very interested. Can't wait for more details.

CJacobo
08-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Damn! I just sold a story like this. For a lot less than what you're offering to pay. :tongue

I'm very interested. Can't wait for more details.

Congrats on the sell soapdish!

It's a good thing that you will have to start from scratch on this contest though. It puts more work under your belt and is good practice.

Hope to see your work in the contest mate!

Chris1981
08-07-2012, 12:00 AM
This sounds like a lot of fun. I'm probably in, but things are going to start getting crazy here at my house in about two and a half to three weeks. (One of my brothers is getting married and, then, the holidays are upon us. Woohoo!)

Sai
08-07-2012, 12:20 AM
This sounds neat. I'll be keeping an eye on this :).

holy_shiitake
08-07-2012, 12:39 AM
I'd be down to give this a shot!

CJacobo
08-07-2012, 03:19 AM
This sounds like a lot of fun. I'm probably in, but things are going to start getting crazy here at my house in about two and a half to three weeks. (One of my brothers is getting married and, then, the holidays are upon us. Woohoo!)

This sounds neat. I'll be keeping an eye on this :).

I'd be down to give this a shot!

Great to hear all! Thank you for showing interest.

ElsaM
08-07-2012, 04:12 AM
I'm interested, depending on deadline and length. I'm looking forward to hearing more about it!

Don Evan Scott
08-07-2012, 04:25 AM

With the link in Kelly's signature, your problem is not going to be having too few entries... :)

You can probably count me in as well. Conflicts with women is sort of my specialty :roll:

CJacobo
08-07-2012, 05:22 AM
With the link in Kelly's signature, your problem is not going to be having too few entries... :)

You can probably count me in as well. Conflicts with women is sort of my specialty :roll:

Let's hope we do get more than we need! Glad to have you Don Evan Scott.

bluntforcetrauma
08-08-2012, 08:29 AM
I'm in, but the link in Kelly's sig just brings us back to this thread...is that the intent or is there somewhere else we sign up?

Medievalist
08-08-2012, 08:36 AM
The details and timing are still being worked out.

Mac will make a forum-wide announcement when the details are finalized.

CJacobo
08-08-2012, 11:42 AM
I'm in, but the link in Kelly's sig just brings us back to this thread...is that the intent or is there somewhere else we sign up?

The details and timing are still being worked out.

Mac will make a forum-wide announcement when the details are finalized.

Hey bluntforcetrauma, thanks for you interest. Medievalist is quite right, we are still working on some of the specifics and hopefully within the next few days we will get an announcement out with the details. Hope to see you at the races.

Michael Myers
08-09-2012, 02:04 AM
Caleb, Mac:

Got here via Kelly's sig line. Count me in. I'll give it a shot. Some notion of parameters would be useful.

Michael

CasperPearl
08-09-2012, 04:06 PM
Hey Jacob, I mainly sit back and read the topics on this board, but I just wanted to let you know that I'd enter this contest. It sounds like a great idea, and any time someone is willing to host something like this to help motivate fellow writers, that shows great character!

CJacobo
08-10-2012, 01:50 AM
Hey Jacob, I mainly sit back and read the topics on this board, but I just wanted to let you know that I'd enter this contest. It sounds like a great idea, and any time someone is willing to host something like this to help motivate fellow writers, that shows great character!

Hey CasperPearl,

I look forward to reading your entry!

I appreciate your post very much. It takes a lot of character to speak up and recognize someone for their efforts like you have, so thanks mate.

druid12000
08-10-2012, 05:55 AM
Hells yeah I'm in, are all the logistics ironed out? I think this is a fantastic idea and would be willing to finance to keep it going in the future.

druid12000
08-10-2012, 06:09 AM
I'm in!!!!! absolutely stoked, can I help in any way?

CJacobo
08-10-2012, 08:01 AM
Hells yeah I'm in, are all the logistics ironed out? I think this is a fantastic idea and would be willing to finance to keep it going in the future.

I'm in!!!!! absolutely stoked, can I help in any way?

Hey druid12000, thank you for the amazing enthusiasm!

We are still ironing out some wrinkles, but as soon as we figure a few more things out, I'll give you a hollar if we need anything. Thanks mate!

CJacobo
08-11-2012, 07:31 AM
Hurray! The room is up and things are chugging along. The Rules and Regulations should be coming soon, so keep checking back. Thank you!

night-flyer
08-11-2012, 09:20 AM
*keeps checking back*

Foley
08-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Sounds interesting - art for art's sake, but cash prizes are some sweet pollen :) Is this open to new bees too?

Manuel Royal
08-12-2012, 01:15 AM
Just saw this for the first time. Great idea, Jacob! I'm in.

CJacobo
08-12-2012, 01:24 AM
Just saw this for the first time. Great idea, Jacob! I'm in.

Hey Manuel Royal,

Thank you for your interest, I'm exited to see your entry!

Foley
08-12-2012, 01:51 AM
Is that a cold shoulder I smell? Guess I'm 2 new 4 cool :(

CJacobo
08-12-2012, 02:04 AM
Sounds interesting - art for art's sake, but cash prizes are some sweet pollen :) Is this open to new bees too?

Is that a cold shoulder I smell? Guess I'm 2 new 4 cool :(

Hah! I'm sorry Foley, I just missed your post, my email only showed the one response. Sorry mate!

This contest is open to any AWer who wants to submit. I look forward to reading your entry!

Michael Myers
08-12-2012, 07:20 AM
*awaits details with fading hope*

CJacobo
08-12-2012, 07:32 AM
*awaits details with fading hope*

Oh no, Michael Myers, don't lose hope! MacAllister has my purposed Rules and Regulations along with an event list for the contest. She is reviewing it and we should have a big update sometime next week.

Thanks for your patience!

MacAllister
08-12-2012, 07:42 AM
No losing hope! We're working on the details -- but we don't want to step on the Back To School contest, either. So this WILL happen, but there's some timing and a few details to work out, and I've been utterly swamped this week, which doesn't help.

Keep the faith!

Foley
08-12-2012, 08:49 AM
CJ, I'm small, imperfectly formed and easily missed, but I really should know better than to harumph out loud. My bad, sorry dude. Your initiative with this comp. is rightly applauded here and N.A.S. sounds fascinating too. All the best. :gone:

Ambrosia
08-12-2012, 05:06 PM
Caleb...

I will try to enter, when you get the particulars down. Right now I up to my eyeballs in life's alligators, but this is just the sort of thing to take my mind off of the alligators for a bit. ;)

I know your contest will be awesome. I look forward to hearing the particulars.

Good luck!

CJacobo
08-16-2012, 09:56 PM
Caleb...

I will try to enter, when you get the particulars down. Right now I up to my eyeballs in life's alligators, but this is just the sort of thing to take my mind off of the alligators for a bit. ;)

I know your contest will be awesome. I look forward to hearing the particulars.

Good luck!

Hey Ambrosia,

I'm exited to read your entry! Thank you for the positive feedback.

taichiquan.panda
08-17-2012, 09:45 AM
I would love to be a part of this!!

Calliopenjo
08-18-2012, 02:12 AM
And I'm waiting for the details.

HarryHoskins
08-18-2012, 03:06 AM
And I'm well red

CaPooF
08-19-2012, 09:26 AM
Color me intrigued. :-)

Michael Myers
08-22-2012, 02:30 AM
I too remain curious.

Neriah
08-22-2012, 09:04 AM
Totally new to the forum, but would love to give this a shot, just to get back into things. Cant wait to get more information :)

amblack
08-22-2012, 10:34 PM
I wanna play! I'm in! =D

CaPooF
08-23-2012, 06:03 AM
Any details yet?

Michael Myers
08-24-2012, 09:20 AM
I think that's Jeopardy stage music playing in the background.

MacAllister
08-24-2012, 09:27 AM
Heh. We're not just stringing it out to build suspense, I promise. But the Back to School contest is in full swing right now, too -- and we're not going to step on that.

There's time, and there will BE time for those who want to participate. :) We just have to build it into

CaPooF
08-24-2012, 09:32 AM
Cool. I'll try to be patient. (That sound in the background is my husband laughing...)

amblack
08-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Heh. We're not just stringing it out to build suspense, I promise. But the Back to School contest is in full swing right now, too -- and we're not going to step on that.

There's time, and there will BE time for those who want to participate. :) We just have to build it into

Yay! I can wait and be patient. I say this as my boyfriend and cats look at me with judgement.

Bufty
08-27-2012, 04:55 PM
Just spotted this referred to by another poster in another thread. Love to try it. Wait to see the rules and conditions. Even clinging onto the end of any voting list would be worth the effort. Now -if I can just get the wife thoroughly pissed off and switch on the tape recorder :snoopy:

Kayley
08-28-2012, 07:24 AM
I would also be interested. :)

Skreth
08-29-2012, 03:25 AM
I would be interested, too. Dialogue is very tricky for me, so it would be a good exercise, if anything.

Diver
08-29-2012, 11:49 PM
I'd participate too. Rules and regulations: bring it on!
...says someone still worked up with the Back to School contest... :e2woo:

Diver
08-29-2012, 11:53 PM
Hey. I've reached the quintessential post 50 landmark. :)

kkbe
08-31-2012, 04:03 AM
This sounds very cool. I, too, am interested. . .waiting patiently. . .wondering if I've got the ba--

Yeah. Me gots 'em.

I think.:D

Manuel Royal
09-02-2012, 12:28 AM
Finally, it's September. Only two months of summer left!

Not Solomon Brown
09-02-2012, 12:56 AM

Today is the first day of autumn (here). Didn't really have a summer.

Kayley
09-02-2012, 03:26 AM

Two months of summer? O.o I thought my one remaining month was a lot. Many people have gone back to work/school already. So you don't start until November?

Manuel Royal
09-02-2012, 07:38 AM
Two months of summer? O.o I thought my one remaining month was a lot. Many people have gone back to work/school already. So you don't start until November?
It depends; I was exaggerating a bit. There's no month of the year when we're not apt to have days in the 70s. It doesn't feel like Fall to me here until, usually, mid-October at least.

I'd probably like Seattle. Although my ex-wife is there.

Kayley
09-02-2012, 07:44 AM
It depends; I was exaggerating a bit. There's no month of the year when we're not apt to have days in the 70s. It doesn't feel like Fall to me here until, usually, mid-October at least.

I'd probably like Seattle. Although my ex-wife is there.

Ah, that makes sense. We were in the low 50s this morning. Fall is definitely coming.

bearilou
09-02-2012, 09:36 AM
It's midnight oh-thirty, I'm wide awake, skimming the boards and lo! What do I see but an announcement for a contest!

So, this is me, dropping my name into the hat for prospective interest. A lot will depend on the timing. As in, I need time to get excited, plan, fret, dither, procrastinate, panic, write like a fiend and then collapse when I get my entry in hopefully before the deadline.

All with the fervent prayer that my entry idea doesn't turn into something that no longer fits the guidelines or takes on a life of its own (like it did for the Western contest).

Niniva
09-02-2012, 10:46 PM
I'm on this board mainly to find opportunities like this; count me in.

CJacobo
09-03-2012, 09:21 AM
Thank you all for taking interest in the contest. I will be sure to let you know as soon as I have more details on rules and regulations and timing.

night-flyer
10-08-2012, 03:12 AM
um...I assumed that this would take flight after the kid-lit contest was over. Has it been canceled? A no-go? Just wondering-- the holidays will be here before you know it. Just curious since I haven't heard anything.

Cybernaught
10-08-2012, 03:33 AM
I'm in. Conflicts between men and women has been somewhat of a recurrent theme for me.

Medievalist
10-08-2012, 03:42 AM
um...I assumed that this would take flight after the kid-lit contest was over. Has it been canceled? A no-go? Just wondering-- the holidays will be here before you know it. Just curious since I haven't heard anything.

It's here (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254183).

night-flyer
10-08-2012, 04:39 AM
It's here (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254183).

:) Thanks Medievalist. I should've looked there, I've been checking in here and didn't think. Thank you!

MacAllister
11-06-2012, 08:01 AM
Okay, folks - the 19 20 stories that made it through for the vote are posted (there were some disqualifications for not meeting the criteria) -- so listen up:

IF YOU SENT ME A STORY THAT IS NOT POSTED, and you DIDN'T get an email from me telling you how and where the story missed, PM OR EMAIL ME ASAP.

:) We'll open voting tomorrow, and I'll post instructions with a board-wide announcement, then.