PDA

View Full Version : Who removes dead bodies?

trumpetology
08-05-2012, 07:09 AM
When a person dies of natural causes at home while receiving hospice care, what agency is responsible for removing the body?

Thanks!

MaryMumsy
08-05-2012, 07:25 AM
In those circumstances, here is AZ, it would be the funeral home. Two years ago a client of mine died in a group home of cancer. Since he was under a doctor's care there was no requirement for an autopsy. He had arrangements with one of those 'donate your body to science' places. When he died the owner of the group home called the science place, they sent out a hearse from the funeral home they had a contract with.

MM

trumpetology
08-05-2012, 07:30 AM
That's MM.

Lawfire
08-05-2012, 12:00 PM
It would be the same in Michigan.

shaldna
08-05-2012, 02:48 PM
Here the funeral home would collect the body - assuming there was no need for a post mortem, for instance, if the patient was under doctors care for cancer etc.

KellyAssauer
08-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Same here in Pennsylvania.

I knew a guy that did this. He carried a pager, and when the funeral home had a 'pick up' he got a page, and he dropped whatever he was doing and then drove over the funeral home for the hearse and directions. The key to the home pick-ups (at that time) was that the County Coroner needed to have signed off on the cause of death on the official certificate - meaning no further investigation was needed.

WeaselFire
08-05-2012, 06:17 PM
If someone in Florida dies unattended, a doctor or coroner must sign off before the body is transported. Then it's the funeral home. In most cases, a police officer will stay with the body until a doctor or coroner signs.

Jeff

trumpetology
08-05-2012, 07:06 PM
My character is under a doctor's care, so the funeral home is the way to go. Thanks all!

And the beeper story is pretty morbid!

Specval
08-06-2012, 05:52 AM
My character is under a doctor's care, so the funeral home is the way to go. Thanks all!

And the beeper story is pretty morbid!

There are actually companies that specialize in body couriering. I recall a show, I believe TABOO, that described it just as Kelly did.

trumpetology
08-06-2012, 05:55 AM
well, I guess someone's gotta do it.