Who removes dead bodies?

trumpetology

Registered
Reaction score
When a person dies of natural causes at home while receiving hospice care, what agency is responsible for removing the body?

Thanks!

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In those circumstances, here is AZ, it would be the funeral home. Two years ago a client of mine died in a group home of cancer. Since he was under a doctor's care there was no requirement for an autopsy. He had arrangements with one of those 'donate your body to science' places. When he died the owner of the group home called the science place, they sent out a hearse from the funeral home they had a contract with.

MM

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Here the funeral home would collect the body - assuming there was no need for a post mortem, for instance, if the patient was under doctors care for cancer etc.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Same here in Pennsylvania.

I knew a guy that did this. He carried a pager, and when the funeral home had a 'pick up' he got a page, and he dropped whatever he was doing and then drove over the funeral home for the hearse and directions. The key to the home pick-ups (at that time) was that the County Coroner needed to have signed off on the cause of death on the official certificate - meaning no further investigation was needed.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If someone in Florida dies unattended, a doctor or coroner must sign off before the body is transported. Then it's the funeral home. In most cases, a police officer will stay with the body until a doctor or coroner signs.

Jeff

trumpetology

Registered
Reaction score
My character is under a doctor's care, so the funeral home is the way to go. Thanks all!

And the beeper story is pretty morbid!

Specval

Registered
Reaction score
My character is under a doctor's care, so the funeral home is the way to go. Thanks all!

And the beeper story is pretty morbid!

There are actually companies that specialize in body couriering. I recall a show, I believe TABOO, that described it just as Kelly did.