In this crazy, crazy world, is a new laptop one of the new major highs?

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. My dell is crapping out on me i've only had it two years. Buying a new one with a university grant in 2 months 4gb ram, i5, dedicated graphics card... not dell ofc.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
It's good and bad. It'll be faster, shinier, etc...but then there's all the transferring of programs, downloading of other programs, taking the useless crap the computer company puts on it back off, getting everything to look like you're used to having it look. It was a steady week of work last spring for me, and it undercut the fun of the new toy.

congrats on your new toy tho.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
It's good and bad. It'll be faster, shinier, etc...but then there's all the transferring of programs, downloading of other programs, taking the useless crap the computer company puts on it back off, getting everything to look like you're used to having it look. It was a steady week of work last spring for me, and it undercut the fun of the new toy.

congrats on your new toy tho.
yes. though i travel light so the crossover wasnt to bad.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
I don't need one
so...
I've never bought one.

Therefore,
you must be wrong. ;)

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
Programs take the longest to install, but even with that, I have the new computer up and running and customized in under 4 hours. I'm just a pro like that. ^_^

I do get excited about appliances. I got a new dryer last March. It was only slightly less exciting than when I bought my shiny travel laptop.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I was really happy when I got my new laptop late last year. I used it every day, watched movies on it, wrote on it... It was fabulous.

Then I bought new speakers for my desktop computer. Now I use the desktop every day, write on it, watch movies on it... The poor laptop doesn't know what to do with itself.

OC-138

Registered
Reaction score
I love getting a new laptop. I love getting any new toys actually. Its always fun to play with a new gadget.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I think I prefer playing with someone else's toys...

I just got back from the grandparents' place. Grandad has a nice organ. I played it 3 times in as many hours.

My new guitar doesn't get quite that much love anymore... There's just something about the idea that I can only play the organ every so often that makes me want to play it even more. Whereas my guitar... Well, I can play that whenever. It's not quite as tempting on a minute-by-minute basis.

Hiroko

Which of them was the machine?
Registered
Reaction score
My laptop just died 1.5 weeks ago from drowning (i.e., a lemonade spill). To get a new one - one with the specs I'd like - would be pret-ty thrilling.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I hate getting new computers of any kind. Mainly because there always seem to be new bells and whistles that I don't like as well as the old rusty ones, plus so much software I really like suddenly won't work on them. The computer I had before my current one was nearly 15 years old when a virus destroyed it, otherwise I'd probably still be using it quite happily. I don't see a laptop in the foreseeable future... Now, a new chainsaw - that will get me shivering in anticipation!

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
hmmm. well i guess i dont usually attach to many bells n whistles. all in need can be sorted in a few mins.

one advantage of being techno-Luddite i suppose.