Not open for further replies.

RemusShepherd

Banned
Flounced
VPXI
Reaction score
Website
remus-shepherd.livejournal.com
A simple question that's surprisingly difficult to answer -- what is it like to live with hip-length hair? How long does it take to comb? How often do you need to comb it? How long did it take to grow? Do strands fall out? (An eyelash in the sink is noticable; I can't imagine missing a three-foot-long strand of hair.) Do you keep it under control with ties, braids, or hats?

The character in question is female and polynesian, but I'm interested in anyone's tales about living with very long hair. Thanks.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
My son has hip-length hair

How long does it take to comb?
Deoends on how thick your hair is I guess - my son's is VERY thick. Combing...well we don't usually. It woudl take a week. Takes 10-15 mins to brush in the morning, and a few minutes each time during the day. After a brush with windy weather....as long as it takes.
How often do you need to comb it?

Again, will depend on hair, coarseness etc. Son brushes his three times a day + (or it gets unmanageably knotty)
How long did it take to grow?

I think it was about 4 years.
Do strands fall out? (An eyelash in the sink is noticable; I can't imagine missing a three-foot-long strand of hair.)
Well, yes. Hair still goes in growth cycles, no matter how long it is. Clogs up the Hoover I know that!

Do you keep it under control with ties, braids, or hats?

He wears it in a Sikh style bun/scarf arrangement for school, other than that it's left free.

Tbh, the thing that makes it more trouble than my daughter's shoulder length hair is the thickness of it, not the length. And the fact some days he has a job getting a brush through it!

KatieJ

I think I'm back....
Registered
Reaction score
My hair is not as long now (mid-back) but I used t have hair that long, as did my three daughters. Theirs was never cut, my oldest daughters was long enough at the age of 2 1/2 that I needed to include "pull your hair over your shoulder" as one of the steps of potty-training.

what is it like to live with hip-length hair? It's heavy and hot if you leave it down. It's very hard to wash - you find yourself washing it once or twice a week because it takes so long. If you put it up after you wash it, it is still wet hours later. If you comb or brush it wet, you pull more hairs out than if you let it dry first.

How long does it take to comb? I've never timed it, but maybe ten minutes? It feels very good to comb/brush it (or even to run your fingers through it)

How often do you need to comb it? AT LEAST daily, twice a day is better.

How long did it take to grow? Everyone is different, I grew mine from about aged twelve - it was hip length by twenty. My daughters were all different, but all had hip length hair by twelve or thirteen I think.

Do strands fall out? (An eyelash in the sink is noticable; I can't imagine missing a three-foot-long strand of hair.) YES, YES, in the brush, in the comb, in the shower. My husband had to snake the drain all the time. We have a handful of those little plastic snakes under the sink for the girls to do it themselves - as if they would.

Do you keep it under control with ties, braids, or hats? Yes, braids are best - I think. Headbands slip off. I prefer combs, you can also use hairsticks and hairpins.

Every culture is different, so this wouldn't answer Polynesian hair questions. Hair gets drier the longer it gets, brushing distributes the scalp oils through the hair strand. It CAN get thinner as it gets longer, too, although we haven't seen much of that.

Hope this helps!

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I never had my hair cut (except for split ends) until I graduated high school. My mother kept my hair in two braids, and it took a good 30 minutes every day before school (I hated sitting still that long!). Mine is thick and fine, so braiding was the only way to keep it anywhere near manageable, and even then the knots were horrid, especially after washing (which was a whole 'nother mess, considering we didn't have a shower when I was a kid - bent over the kitchen sink!). Once I got into high school, I quit wearing braids and went with pony tails or barettes, and combed it out, section by section, several times a day. And yes, it's hot and uncomfortable in the summer, no matter what you do.

Nowadays I can't stand my hair even long enough to touch my shoulders - off it goes! :tongue

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
I used to have hair to just below my waist. My hair is very straight and moderately fine, so as long as I conditioned the ends regularly it was never any trouble to comb. I used to wear it in a low plait or a high ponytail - I rarely left it down as it would get tangled pretty quickly, particularly if it was windy out (pro tip: never wear lipgloss on a windy day if you've got long hair) I used to brush it a few times a day to get the knots out if I did leave it loose.

When strands did fall out, it was usually broken hair as opposed to the entire strand - say, the last third or so of the strand. My mum used to complain about drain-cloggage. I don't think long hair sheds any more often than short hair (mine's now boy-short) it's just that it gets snagged on things more easily, is pulled out through tangling, and looks more substantial when it gathers in the plughole.

Mutive

Blissfully Clueless
Registered
Reaction score
A simple question that's surprisingly difficult to answer -- what is it like to live with hip-length hair? How long does it take to comb? How often do you need to comb it? How long did it take to grow? Do strands fall out? (An eyelash in the sink is noticable; I can't imagine missing a three-foot-long strand of hair.) Do you keep it under control with ties, braids, or hats?

1. It takes me about 5 minutes to brush through my hair. I do use a gigantic brush to help, though, as well as various hair oils that make it easier to manage. It's pretty much wash and wear.

2. I brush it maybe 2-3xs a day. (In the morning, before I sleep, before I wear it down, sometimes an additional time if I want to change its style.)

3. About 10 years. Although most of the length was there after maybe 3-4.

4. Strands are constantly coming out. Someone thought that a golden retriever used my car as they couldn't figure any other reason as to why it was matted in blonde fur. You can usually tell where I sit because there are piles of hair everywhere. If I leave it up, this isn't too bad. But I sometimes get handfuls of hair falling out if I sit with it down for a few minutes.

5. My hair is up about 90% of the time. It's close to unmanagable down. Sometimes I even sleep with it in braids. Usually I use braids or a bun. At the very least, I tend to tie it back from my face. Swimming is a nightmare (I only dunk my head under water if it's been braided up before hand. Otherwise, I'd never get it untangled). I almost never get my hair wet other than when washing it (and give it maybe 3 hours before bed to dry). It takes ~1 hour to blow dry (I have very thick hair in addition to long hair, so this would differ for someone with less hair.)

Strangely, it's pretty easy other than this. I can braid it back in <5 minutes and put it into a bun in about 10 seconds. When it was shorter, it actually took more work between the blow drying, gelling, mousing, etc. (But I did swim more often.)

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have hair down to my butt for the third time. Our daughter's hair is longer. Our son's hair maybe eight inches shorter, nearing his waist.
A simple question that's surprisingly difficult to answer -- what is it like to live with hip-length hair?
It's easier than living with shorter hair. All I have to do is keep it clean and brushed, trim it a couple times a year, and I'm done. No styling products, no bad hair days.
I rarely comb, only brush to remove tangles. It rarely takes more than three minutes, often as little as one.
Once or twice a day will do it, unless I've been out in the wind or done something else which rearranges it.
I think this time it was around six or seven years. I wasn't paying attention once it got past my shoulder blades.
Do strands fall out? (An eyelash in the sink is noticable; I can't imagine missing a three-foot-long strand of hair.)
Of course they do. The rule at our house (and now, our kids' homes) is that you do not brush your hair over the sink. Long hairs are easy to sweep up, although they do tangle into certain weaves of carpet and sweaters. The worst issue with fallen hairs is that they wrap around the beater bar of vacuum cleaners, move to the ends, and prevent the bar from turning, burning out the motor. So you have to either cut the hair off the beater bar, or take apart the vacuum every room or two.
I braid it overnight, because it was disturbing my sleep. Now the braid occasionally wraps my throat and I dream of hanging. I tie it back for cooking and put it up with barrettes or spring clips for baking involving kneading. I can work it through the opening of a cheap baseball cap for working out; it's cooler to have it up off my neck.

The character in question is female and polynesian, but I'm interested in anyone's tales about living with very long hair. Thanks.
Things to add to make her experience realer:
  • Strangers compliment my hair occasionally, which is cool.
  • Strangers feel free to touch my hair occasionally. Not cool.
  • People undergoing chemo ask if they can have it. I never know what to say, but it's happened a half-dozen times or so.
  • People ask why I don't cut it off and donate it to Locks of Love. Uh, because I want to keep it? (And because they won't take hair with any white strands, which I've got plenty of.)
  • In stadiums and on subway trains, long loose hair gets in the way and is accidentally pulled by people just sitting in their own seats or holding onto the hand grips. I pull it in a ponytail for baseball games.
  • I often wash only the part near my head. The rest doesn't get all that dirty.
  • That said, I always seem to drag a few strands across the plate when we're having pancakes.
  • When your hair's thick, it's really hard to find barrettes and clips which will hold all of it. It's nearly impossible to put up without them. Mine's thinned a bit as I've gotten older, and it's easier now.
  • Split ends are the enemy, and the hair dryer is their ally. Even in winter, I never dry the ends with heat.
  • Depending on just what one is doing, long hair can cause problems with one's sexual partner, who accidentally tugs it when shifting positions or moving a supporting hand or elbow.
If long hair questions come up as you're writing, put me on your list of people you can ask.

Maryn, self-styled expert

Pinguicha

Has the cutest cat in the world!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pinguicha.wordpress.com

Those all depend on the food you eat, the shampoo you use (I know, sounds dumb, but it's true) and of the type of hair.

I had hip-long hair for a long time. It took me around 1 1/2-2 years for it to grow that much. I was around 16 when I decided to let it grow out, and at 17/18, I already had a respectable hair length.

Now, because I have extremely straight hair, I only had to comb it once, twice a day (morning and after showering). It didn't really get all knotted and wild - I'm lucky in that aspect. I only ever tied it to eat (long hair is a pain in the ass when you're eating. If you're not careful, it gets in your food) and to play roller hockey. Curiously, at least once or twice in a match, if I skated past someone from the other team, they'd try to grab my hair to make me stop. This happened. A lot.

I also used pigtails whenever I wanted to look childishly cute and innocent.

Hats, if not carefully chosen, look awful with long hair, so I never used them. Except for beanies after practice, to keep me from catching a cold, and even those I took off immediately upon arriving home.

The loose strands were a mess - especially after showering. My brush would be FILLED with them. And when I combed my hair in the morning, the floor would always end up with a lot of them, too. My mother would yell at me to clean up after myself and tell me to cut my hair because of that.

The worst of it was (I doubt you'll need this info, but here it goes anyway) was that I somehow got lice while taking my driving lessons (we use the school's car, not our own). Granted, I have shitty blood for lice and by the time I noticed I had them they'd all died out, but because I had such long hair, I had to wash it at least four times and spend hours in the backyard while my parents check my head. It was awful and the absolute worst inconvenience of long hair.

And then, two years into college, I was in a relationship that ended badly and I chopped it all off. Short hair is low-maintenance in comparison, so I've kept it like that for a couple of years. I'm letting it grow back to hip-length now, though.

Also, in the beginning I said food, shampoo and type of hair matter because:

- good shampoo keeps your ends from breaking, hence, the hair grows better
- a balanced diet (especially one with loads of vegetables) makes your hair grow faster
- People with straight hair tend to get dandruff :p I can only use shampoos from either the pharmacy or the hairdresser. With supermarket shampoos, it's like it snowed in my hair and it's disgusting.

Last edited:

ladyleeona

fluently sarcastic grandma offender
Registered
Reaction score

It's...interesting. I actually just cut mine to a few inches above hip-length, and it's still a lot to deal with. I have really fine textured hair, so I really don't comb it much. I generally wear it in a braid or a bun, so combing or brushing is usually only in the morning right before I put it up. On the odd occasion when I wear it down, I brush it pretty much constantly. I use assorted products, including a leave-in conditioner, that keeps the tangles from developing into monsters. It took me about about 4 years to grow it out.

As far as strands falling out--I shed a ton. I finger-comb it in the shower whenever I have my conditioner in, and a bunch of hair falls out every time. (At which point I stick them to the shower wall--to be thrown away when I get out--because the alternative is them going down the drain.) My fiance LOVES it when I forget to throw the hairballs away.... My car always has hair in it, but at least it's usually contained to the driver's seat.

Keeping it under control is usually not too much of a problem (again, braids, rubberbands, etc.), but when it's loose I have closed it in doors before (car door, usually. house doors are extra fun--maximum yankage.) It does catch on things. And, because of the length, I've managed to wallop myself in the face before with the tail end of my braid while playing basketball. Ended up with a black eye and a really sad story.

Last edited:

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Things to add to make her experience realer:
  • Depending on just what one is doing, long hair can cause problems with one's sexual partner, who accidentally tugs it when shifting positions or moving a supporting hand or elbow.

+10 Nothing can ruin a moment quite like, "Ow! You're on my hair!"

My hair is straight and waist length. I normally keep it in a ponytail, but if I'm doing something very active that would involve a lot of bending (which would cause my hair to constantly get in my face and eyes) I braid it, or clip it up out of the way.

Windy days are the same. Getting your own hair whipped into your eyes is a stinging and unpleasant sensation. The lip gloss problem someone stated earlier is also an issue. The hair sticks or gets drug through the gloss and all over your face.

Everyone has covered most of things I can think of.

Hair shedding and clogging vacuums and drains here, too. Sometimes I get a handful of hair when I use cream rinse. I'll wind it around my fingers to keep it together, then throw it away right away, so it doesn't go down the drain.

Mutive

Blissfully Clueless
Registered
Reaction score
+10 Nothing can ruin a moment quite like, "Ow! You're on my hair!"

It also gets in your mouth when you try to kiss.

So tired of people thinking it's the sexiest thing ever to have my hair down in bed. It's not. Half back is okay, if your partner thinks long hair = super sexy. But not tied back at all? Ugh...

ArtsyAmy

Registered
Reaction score
I'll try not to repeat what's already been said. Now my hair is half-way down my back, all one length, pretty thick. It's been longer. It's super, super easy! Just shampoo then condition while in the shower--apply extra conditioner to the ends, and let it sit 30 seconds or so about once a week before rinsing. I brush mine while it's still pretty wet--I don't have the breakage problem that some have when doing that, and it's easier to brush while wet. Brushing takes 5 minutes or so. Just divide it in half, pull around the left side and brush, pull around the right side and brush, put both sides back and brush the back. I just let it air-dry. Depending on humidity, it's usually dry in 30-40 minutes, I suppose. Blow drying would be a big hassle. One downer: can't wash it right before bed--no good falling asleep with wet hair. No styling products--that's good. I don't have the hairballs or shedding that others have written about. Once in a while I'll spot a hair that has fallen out, and my brush does fill up.

I'll add that I've found a big difference between half-way down my back hair and hair that is longer--even by a few inches. When longer, I've experienced it getting caught under the elbow of someone sitting next me--that kind of thing, and it does take longer to air-dry. Oh yes, when a person with loose, long hair bends down (say to pick up something on the floor), hair can spill to the floor--gotta watch for that. Also, if someone's getting sick, the hair has to be pulled back so it doesn't get vomit on it. (Sorry to be gross--it's true, though.)

Edit: When brushing, it's not roots to ends at first. Start seveal inches from the ends, brush that section out to the ends. Move up several inches, brush that through to the ends. Keep moving up, until eventually you are brushing roots to ends.

Last edited:

Jericho McKraven

Registered
Reaction score
My girlfriend has hip length hair, she usually conditions it in the shower and runs a comb through it. Takes her all of two min. She has a very natural look though, I have no idea what it would be like if someone wanted to style it every day.

Also, when she tells me she is going to straighten it before going somewhere, I know I will have about an hour of free time on my hands because she'll be in the bathroom forever.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I forgot one: When you happen to be naked, the longest part can get stuck in nature's cleft, without your realizing it until you happen to nod.

Maryn, laughing because that's happened a fair number of times

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
A simple question that's surprisingly difficult to answer -- what is it like to live with hip-length hair? How long does it take to comb?

I don't use a comb. It takes me maybe 5 minutes or less to brush it with a plastic brush like this one.

I brush it once a day if I put it into a braid. If I leave it loose I usually touch it up a few times throughout the day. A brush lives in my drawer at work.

I cut it to shoulder length with bangs (fringe) in 1987 and it probably took ... three years? to grow this long. I haven't cut it since, except for occational trims to even it out. I think the last trim was three years ago. It's now as long as It's going to get.

All the time. But usually in the brush. Some get caught in waist bands when I have it loose. It gets into the back of my (fabric covered) chair, too. I have to keep the vacuume roller cleaned as it does tend to get on the floors at home.

Usually a single braid down the back.

When very hot, I'll do it in two braids--one on each side--and then use a hair elastic to tie the ends together. This keeps it off the back of my neck and behind me so it doesn't get in my way.

Sometimes I'll tie it into a knot at the nape of my neck. (See first photo in that thread. Photo is not of me. That community might help you with your questions. I found it when Googling for a photo of a hair knot.)

When I do a hair knot like that, I have to use a hair stick to hold it in place (with a string tied to the hair stick that figure-eights around each end of the stick and is cinched in place with a half-hitch. A manover anyone who does boats will be familiar with--bowlines go around cleats exactly the same way.)

I don't know about others but I cannot wash my hair everyday or the ends turn into straw. Even using Mane 'n Tail (cannot recommend that stuff enough!). At most, I wash it three times a week.

ETA: Drying! I also condition in the shower with Mane 'n Tail and then brush. I then usually braid my hair while wet to let the Mane 'n Tail soak in. It will take over 12 hours to dry when I do that. Or longer, especially if it's humid (hello Samoa!). I have to unbraid the next morning, re-brush and leave it loose for it to dry thoroughly. Also, if you have feather pillows, you've got to use a lot of towels if you wash your hair at night or you get moldy feathers after a while. I run mine through the dryer on occation to get them very dry because I really hate morning showers.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I only have shoulder-length hair (very thick, falls out often enough that I find strands of it everywhere... bit of a nightmare when cooking) but I feel like I've learnt quite a bit about hair maintenance from this thread.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

You've probably got plenty, but since I'm a Sikh :)...

5 minutes to comb, twice daily. Goes up in a "rishi knot." I wind it up in a knot on the back center of my head (a Sikh man puts it up in the front center), use 2 hair pins, place a white cotton men's handkerchief (women's have too much frilly stuff) on top and use a ponytail holder to hold it. Turban goes on over that. Turbaning process takes 5-10 minutes. Not much of a problem during the day. Turban comes off and hair comes down at night.

Wash hair 2x a week. Don't put it up until it's dry. Don't eat (well, not usually) while it's down. Have to be careful using the bathroom at night.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Pinguicha

Has the cutest cat in the world!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pinguicha.wordpress.com
I only have shoulder-length hair (very thick, falls out often enough that I find strands of it everywhere... bit of a nightmare when cooking)

SO TRUE. When I came to college and started living alone, I had to start using ponytails while cooking because my hair would fall and, because I have such bad luck, it would inevitably fall onto the pan. Eugh.

Of course, now I have a Persian cat. It makes all my former long-hair-falling problems seem silly. There's cat fur everywhere in my house -- more often than not, on my toast and on my dark shirts.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Mine is very long now, but not to my hips -- almost to my waist. I wear it in a braid or a long bun-thing daily unless I'm dressing up.

Mine sheds a bunch, but only when I brush it or wash it (every other day or so). I have tons of hair, as in numbers of hairs on my head, so it's thick because of that. When I dress up, I make sure to pull on the bottom of my hair all around to get any that may want to come loose. No stray hairs out at dinner, no.

The brush looks ridiculous after I've washed it. So much hair, lol!

Mine is curly textured, so if I don't put it up overnight, I wake up with dreads starting. I could have waist-length dreads in about 3 days, probably, if I wanted to go there :D Too tangly for my taste, since you have to cut them out!

I use a ton of conditioner; there's never enough at hotels, for instance :D I use about two (3?) of those bottles each time I shampoo.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Agree with what everyone says about taking forever to dry, going through heaps of conditioner (Mane&Tail was awesome stuff!), tying it in a knot to get it out of the way when you're working and don't have a hair-tie or rubber band handy, and leaving great wodges of hairballs trailing behind you everywhere you shed. Also, I'm one of those people who twists and turns constantly in my sleep, and when I had really long hair it would sometimes get tangled around my throat and choke me. I learned to tie or braid it back at night to prevent that.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
A simple question that's surprisingly difficult to answer -- what is it like to live with hip-length hair?

My daughter has hip length hair - never been cut. ever.

Not long for her - her hair is pretty fine, although there is plenty of it. We use a lot of spray in conditioner to prevent tangles, and she only gets her hair washed once a week, so it's easy enough to deal with in that sense.

At least twice a day, every day, sometimes more depending.

As an aside - spray in conditioner or detangler with a warm comb is much easier than just trying to brush it out. When it's really badly tatted separating it out with your fingers works best. You can get detangling combs which move with the hair, although I find that brushing it while damn with a wide tooth shower comb deals with most of the hassle. Also, a paddle brush is your friend.

As always though, you need to start at the bottom of the hair and work your way up - never start at the crown and just brush down - that's an act of war.

My daughter is 5 1/2 and has never had her hair cut, although on of my friends is nearly 20 and has waist lentgh hair that she grew out in about two years, so it depends. Hair grows about an inch a month.

Yes, sometimes it's like she's casting.

It's not a lot though, hairs in the brush etc, the same as everyone else.

When she leaves the house it is. But her hair seems to have Medusa tendancies and within 10 minutes of me carefully tying and pinning it into place it's flying around her face like a feral lion.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
[*]In stadiums and on subway trains, long loose hair gets in the way and is accidentally pulled by people just sitting in their own seats or holding onto the hand grips. I pull it in a ponytail for baseball games.

Oh god, this too.

My hair isn't terribly long (just above bra strap) but I wear it up mostly in pins or sticks, frequently my daughter with her feral hair will get tangled up with me when she hugs me. Cue hilarious moment of trying to untangle and separate.

[*]Split ends are the enemy, and the hair dryer is their ally. Even in winter, I never dry the ends with heat.

I have a friend who has NEVER blow dried her hair. Never straightened it. Never coloured it. And it's the most amazing hair you've ever seen. I'm seriously jealous every time i see it.

Mane and tail shampoo etc is awesome. Can't get it over here though :(

For a second I thought you were talking about the Horse shampoo we have here.

That said, for REALLY bad times with thick, and especially wiry hair, you should check out 'Canter Mane and Tail' - it is a spray on detangler for horses, but I know several folk who swear by it for their own hair, and hey, if it works...

Status
Not open for further replies.