PDA

View Full Version : Gumroad, anyone?

bearilou
08-02-2012, 07:40 PM
Funny. I've been around the boards for a few years now and I still dither over where something should be posted. :/

Has anyone heard of Gumroad (https://gumroad.com/) and its use as an ebook distribution source? I ran up on them while link jumping (and practicing my procrastination skills). Seems like they're more than just books but a little bit of everything.

*hopes she has the terminology and the designation correct and is open to correction*

merrihiatt
08-02-2012, 11:57 PM
Haven't heard of them.

stranger
08-03-2012, 03:16 PM
I think I read about a well known author using them. He used them to sell books direct from his blog/website to readers so he bypasses the change that Amazon/other bookseller takes from the bookprice (the amount gumroad take is a lot less.)

bearilou
08-03-2012, 03:34 PM
I think I read about a well known author using them. He used them to sell books direct from his blog/website to readers so he bypasses the change that Amazon/other bookseller takes from the bookprice (the amount gumroad take is a lot less.)

We may have read about it at the same place. :ROFL:

Ashurita
08-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Haha, a friend recommended it to me, but I haven't tried it (nothing to sell yet, so didn't investigate further either). She apparently had read the same thing stranger did, though.

stranger
08-03-2012, 04:47 PM
Selling direct seems a good idea. If you draw readers to your website/blog, why send them to Amazon when you can sell directly. However, I'm sure most people with Kindles are happier buying on Amazon (or with nook buying on B+N). Plus, when you get them to buy on Amazon, you get pushed up the Amazon popularity lists so the extra you make by selling direct might not to worth it. Possibly for someone with a very large blog/platform something like Gumroad makes sense.