Don't Query too early

Status
Not open for further replies.

naimas

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I hope I can help someone with this little bit of advice. If you are planning to write a nonfiction book or books, dont sent out a bunch of queries by email and expect to have weeks or months to work on the proposal.

Two times I submitted a Query letter by email about a book idea I came up. I figured it would take weeks for people to get back to me.

Twice I got back requests for a proposal the same day. The first time came within two hours of sending it.

It takes a while to write a good proposal. Unless you want to spend the next three weeks doing 12 hour days writing and rewriting a proposal you might never send out because you realize it is hopelessly failing your idea it would be wise to do the proposal, at the very least getting your sample chapters DONE before sending out any queries. I had five bites on two projects and did not have something to send in. I learned my lesson. I am working on a book proposal and will not even touch the net until it is finished. I wont look for agents or compile lists of names.

Not sending a proposal is the same as getting rejected, worse, it makes you look untrustworthy or unprofessional.

There is nothing (in my opinion) to gain by sending out a query too early. There is however much to lose.

Hope this helps someone.

AdamMac

Back for more
Registered
Reaction score
I sent out a query far too early about a year and a half ago because I had read about the months and months it takes for a reply. I sent my query to six agents at once, expecting to start accumulating rejections. Within the next 24 hours, four of them asked for the proposal - one of them about 30 minutes after I sent the query. Luckily, the agent I most wanted was patient enough to work me through the proposal. And it was exactly as you said, writing and editing 12 hours a day for precisely three weeks.

I learned the lesson that, by and large, it's much easier to get an agent for nonfiction than for fiction. Best be prepared.

A query letter is not meant to be about a book idea you're considering, it should be about a book that you are actually writing.

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
That's great advice. I just went through something similar. I sent in a query, got a request the same day, couldn't finish the proposal ( I had at least started it) for two weeks and now a month later, I'm still waiting on something I figured I'd have an answer on in a few days.

naimas

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
I am glad I am not the only one that made this mistake.

Also very glad about the comment that it seems it is easier to get an agent for nonfiction.

I am not even taking the chance with this one. I am putting in my 12 hour days now. I spent my entire summer trying to play catch up with the last one and in the end decided not to send it in. Sometimes ideas seem better in the head than in what gets fleshed out on paper. It is better to realize that alone and not burn bridges.

Levi

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.levibrackman.com
I don't agree %100

Often we have an idea for a book and we get excited about it but do not have the incentive to write a full proposal. I you are that type of person I would advise you to query even before the proposal has been written. This is what I did.

If we know that we have an agent or agents waiting for the proposal it is more likely that we will actually write it.

The main thing is to have all the parts in one's mind and to be sure that we have the ability to actually put a proposal together. If it is a really good idea and you have the platform to write about it in my experience agents will wait for the proposal.

mischa

Registered
Reaction score
I am a newbie here, and have a question on this subject....I am working on my first non-fiction, want to have a proposal ready before sending out any queries (thanks to all the great advice here).

What is the acceptable length of time for submitting a proposal after getting some interest on a query? Just wondering...

Mischa

erinbee

slanted and enchanted
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinblakemore.com
mischa said:
What is the acceptable length of time for submitting a proposal after getting some interest on a query?

I'd say as soon as possible. I, too, wrote a query before my proposal was complete and while it was the kick in the booty I so needed, time was definitely of the essence.

Levi

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.levibrackman.com
erinbee said:
I'd say as soon as possible. I, too, wrote a query before my proposal was complete and while it was the kick in the booty I so needed, time was definitely of the essence.

I did not find this to be the case. I started to query before I had started the proposal and the agents who were interested early on waited and those who took time to get back to me, or who I queried later on, had it as soon as they expressed interest.

Since I knew what I wanted to write it only took me a week and a half to put the proposal together.

Status
Not open for further replies.