Chick Fil A has been sued about a dozen times over discrimination

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
One of the big arguments you hear in favor of Chick-Fil-A is that, they don't discriminate actively discriminate when it comes to their employees and customers. Well, it turns out, that is only half right.

Is it legal? There are no federal laws that prohibit companies from asking nosy questions about religion and marital status during interviews. Most companies don't because it can open them up to discrimination claims, says James Ryan, a spokesman for the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Chick-fil-A has more freedom to ask whatever it wants of franchisees because they are independent contractors and not necessarily subject to federal employment discrimination laws. (Employees, however, may sue under those laws.)

Chick-fil-A, the corporate parent, has been sued at least 12 times since 1988 on charges of employment discrimination, according to records in U.S. District Courts. Aziz Latif, a former Chick-fil-A restaurant manager in Houston, sued the company in 2002 after Latif, a Muslim, says he was fired a day after he didn't participate in a group prayer to Jesus Christ at a company training program in 2000. The suit was settled on undisclosed terms.

The company might face more suits if it didn't screen potential hires and operators so carefully. Many Chick-fil-A job candidates must endure a yearlong vetting process that includes dozens of interviews. Ty Yokum, the training manager for the chain, sat through 7 interviews and didn't get the job. He reapplied in 1991 and was subjected to another 17 interviews--the final one lasted five hours--and was hired. Bureon Ledbetter, Chick-fil-A's general counsel, says the company works hard to select people like Yokum, who "fit." "We want operators who support the values here," Ledbetter says.
http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2007/0723/080.html

And this isn't just because of the current situation. The article is from '07, when there wasn't a public outcry against the company.

Last edited:

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Eh, 12 doesn't sound like a lot to me? But there's also no doubt in my mind that they have a preference for Christian employees.

That doesn't bother me as much as the money they threw into murdering African homosexuals.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Chick-Fil-A has a long-established very social conservative religio-political stance. They don't open on Sunday, and there are statements posted in stores explaining why. None of their other actions surprise me, and I haven't eaten in one in many years. We don't have any of their outlets where I live, but I do travel to place where they exist, and I avoid them. If I want cheap mass-market chicken products, there are always other choices. I seldom need to make even those choices.

caw

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Eh, 12 doesn't sound like a lot to me? But there's also no doubt in my mind that they have a preference for Christian employees.

That doesn't bother me as much as the money they threw into murdering African homosexuals.

Wait -- are you saying Chik-Fil-A is behind THIS?

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Wait -- are you saying Chik-Fil-A is behind THIS?

There are enough degrees separation to make it debatable. But the Family Research Council, who I've already discussed as an anti-gay hate group, threw money into lobbying *against* the US's vocal condemnation of Uganda's "kill the gays" measure.

The FRC has throw money at a lot of anti-gay causes, but actively trying to convince congress not to condemn the murder of LGBT is despicable. And I think you recall the story about the American evangelicals who went there to preach against homosexuality and who essentially roused the cause that passed the bill? One of them was a board member of Exodus International, another organization CFA poured money into.

I'm sure that if we were to dig, we'd find more. This could be the result of them throwing money at anyone who claims to have Jesus at the helm, but FRC is political and very frank about their aims. So imo it's more insidious than simple ignorance. Preaching love and financing hate. Admirable.

Also I know I'm going to get asked for links, but I'm at work and on an iPhone. So if anyone read the same stuff and wants to throw some links up, feel free. Otherwise I'll do it later tonight.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... by the way they carry on you'd think they were serving up ambrosia, rather poultry. I mean seriously. Isn't it a bit odd to hear so much preaching from a fast food joint?

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
... by the way they carry on you'd think they were serving up ambrosia, rather poultry. I mean seriously. Isn't it a bit odd to hear so much preaching from a fast food joint?

I had lunch there a few times a couple of years ago when I was driving across the country - before I knew what this was all about.

As far as food quality and service are concerned, the two I visited were better than KFC, McDonald's or Burger King. They were clean, and the food tasted good and fresh. I'd imagine that if you're a family group on a budget with kids, this chain would be a welcome refuge from the Big Three, especially if you're living in an area without many other choices. I had friends in LA who swore by Wendy's purely because it was a little better, and I'd say this chicken chain is better than that.

I'm also sure that the regionalism of the chain plays a part in what's going on.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
Did anyone from Chicago watch the news last night? I'm staying with my grandparents in South Holland and I drove by the Chick-Fil-A at Orland Park. It was disgusting.

Lines backed up into the street, slowing down traffic, all because a few hundred thought they were defending Christian values and the First Amendment. That's actually what they were saying. I must be pretty sheltered or something, but I never would've thought in this day and age that so many people would rally behind a fucking fast food restaurant to protest a group of people who've never done anything to them.

The above doesn't surprise me if it's true.

jmare

My own worst enemy
Registered
Reaction score
Lines backed up into the street, slowing down traffic, all because a few hundred thought they were defending Christian values and the First Amendment. That's actually what they were saying.

The irony is... well, pretty apparent. I wonder if anyone in that group remembered the parable about the mote and the beam. Probably not. I suppose it could be worse, at least the gays can repent and stop being an abomination; the poor black people are just cursed.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
The irony is... well, pretty apparent. I wonder if anyone in that group remembered the parable about the mote and the beam. Probably not. I suppose it could be worse, at least the gays can repent and stop being an abomination; the poor black people are just cursed.

Sadly, there were a few blacks at the Chick-Fil-A downtown, spewing the exact same BS that had been used to argue against interracial marriage.

jmare

My own worst enemy
Registered
Reaction score
Sadly, there were a few blacks at the Chick-Fil-A downtown, spewing the exact same BS that had been used to argue against interracial marriage.

That always amazes me, especially when you get in the really wacky segments of Christianity who seriously believe that black people are descended from Cain.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
That always amazes me, especially when you get in the really wacky segments of Christianity who seriously believe that black people are descended from Cain.

I just hope, when the time of pseudo-equality comes, gays don't follow this example and take after Dan Savage. From what I've read, he doesn't hold a high opinion of bi-sexuals, women, or transgender people. It seems like everyone has someone they consider further down the line than them.

As for that sect of Mormons, whom I assume you're referring to, I've got nothing against them. In fact, a few weeks ago I was asked to visit their temple/church/whatever in ABQ. I, personally, have no problem with being a descendant of Cain or Ham or Evil Dude of the Week #24. The mere fact that some used to judge others based on their ancestors and what they did/didn't do is enough to tell me that I should want no part in their Heaven.

And they make it bad for the Christians/Mormons who believe in equality for all. I'm an atheist, and I almost feel sorry for those whose religion is hijacked to preach intolerance. Jesus would not be pleased.

jmare

My own worst enemy
Registered
Reaction score
I just hope, when the time of pseudo-equality comes, gays don't follow this example and take after Dan Savage. From what I've read, he doesn't hold a high opinion of bi-sexuals, women, or transgender people. It seems like everyone has someone they consider further down the line than them.

As for that sect of Mormons, whom I assume you're referring to, I've got nothing against them. In fact, a few weeks ago I was asked to visit their temple/church/whatever in ABQ. I, personally, have no problem with being a descendant of Cain or Ham or Evil Dude of the Week #24. The mere fact that some used to judge others based on their ancestors and what they did/didn't do is enough to tell me that I should want no part in their Heaven.

And they make it bad for the Christians/Mormons who believe in equality for all. I'm an atheist, and I almost feel sorry for those whose religion is hijacked to preach intolerance. Jesus would not be pleased.

Actually, no, I wasn't referring to a Mormon sect. I was referring to an apostolic church in my area where I know a few people who attend. It's pretty fucking crazy.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
There are other people who believe that shit?

Where did they come up with it? Hilarious, considering where their religion originated. I've actually been to one of the churches Jesus visited. If skin color had anything to do with holiness, everyone praying there and keeping the church clean (but failing to do anything about those bathrooms) would be cursed.

I like the idea behind religion, I just wish it wasn't used the way it is by certain people.

jmare

My own worst enemy
Registered
Reaction score
There are other people who believe that shit?

Where did they come up with it? Hilarious, considering where their religion originated. I've actually been to one of the churches Jesus visited. If skin color had anything to do with holiness, everyone praying there and keeping the church clean (but failing to do anything about those bathrooms) would be cursed.

I like the idea behind religion, I just wish it wasn't used the way it is by certain people.
I just find it amusing that Christians (read: white) assume that the mark of Cain was dark skin and not light skin, which would actually make more sense given the geographic location where all that shit apparently went down.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I had lunch there a few times a couple of years ago when I was driving across the country - before I knew what this was all about.

As far as food quality and service are concerned, the two I visited were better than KFC, McDonald's or Burger King. They were clean, and the food tasted good and fresh. I'd imagine that if you're a family group on a budget with kids, this chain would be a welcome refuge from the Big Three, especially if you're living in an area without many other choices. I had friends in LA who swore by Wendy's purely because it was a little better, and I'd say this chicken chain is better than that.

I'm also sure that the regionalism of the chain plays a part in what's going on.

...fast food is still fast food, no matter how it's sliced and diced at least as far as my point went about the preaching. There's some truth to what you say though in terms of quality. A Wendys' burger is more appealing than a McDonalds' one, manufactured out of that nasty pink slime. Personally, I think that anyone who's on a budget (And who isn't these days?) is far better off grilling up their own stuff. Far cheaper and the quality isn't even to compare. But it is nice eating out on occasion, of course.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
If a CEO wants to be some Bible-brandishing politico in his spare time, fine.

If a company is run by religious people who close shop on their holy day, fine.

If the company puts up signs in their restaurants announcing that they close on Sundays so they can go to church as if the godless heathens who eat their food should be doing the same if they have any morals, I start to get offended on a personal level. I would not choose to eat in a place that copped attitude like that.

If a company that has nothing to do with religion (so far as I know the Bible says nothing about fried chicken sandwiches) insists on injecting religion into its business, that adds annoyance to the offense.

And if a company CEO who insists on slapping religion labels all over his entirely non-religious business also proudly proclaims, in relation to his business, his support for hateful policies of oppression and violence against selected minorities -- yeah, there's no chicken sandwich in the world yummy enough to overcome that foul taste.

I don't care how tasty Chik-fil-A sandwiches might be. It's just a fried chicken sandwich. They're not even good for us. I'm not going to prioritize a fucking sandwich over the rights of human beings. Mr. Pious Infant Cathy can yell hosannas over his Fryolators all he likes. I'm not interested.

But I will add this: I'm glad Chik-fil-a-whatever Appreciation Day was such a success. The lines forming up to get in will let me know who in my city I should not waste time talking to or trying to deal with on anything that matters in life.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
I just hope, when the time of pseudo-equality comes, gays don't follow this example and take after Dan Savage. From what I've read, he doesn't hold a high opinion of bi-sexuals, women, or transgender people.
Two things:

First, when used in this context, gays should always be capitalized and preceded by the word 'the';

Second, please don't judge Dan too harshly by what you may have read. Listen to his podcast or read a few of his articles. What you'll discover is that he's a misanthrope, not a misogynist. As another, I know how annoyed I get when people mistake the two.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Does Popeyes hate gay people? If not, that could be their next ad campaign..

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
Two things:

First, when used in this context, gays should always be capitalized and preceded by the word 'the';

Second, please don't judge Dan too harshly by what you may have read. Listen to his podcast or read a few of his articles. What you'll discover is that he's a misanthrope, not a misogynist. As another, I know how annoyed I get when people mistake the two.

1) I use gays as I use blacks, whites, lesbians, and women. It's not a proper noun. I wouldn't use "the Gays" anymore than I'd use "the Blacks."

2) I have. I've stopped reading it because I can't stand his attitude. IMO, he comes off as sexist, and prejudiced against bisexuals and transgender people. While he doesn't bother me as much as Perez Hilton, and I appreciate the work he's done with It Gets Better, I won't hold him up as a paragon of equality and change. He should know, more than most, that words hurt.

And I'd rather not see gay people follow the example of some blacks in years to come, looking down at another group further along the kyriarchy scale. Because I find it oh-so ironic that members of my family take it upon themselves to use every single insult that was used against our people against gays in conversation when the topic arises. And, occasionally, Hispanics. I'd have thought some of the older ones would've learned from history... apparently not.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
That's actually a very good article about Dan. I don't read his column (tho I enjoyed his book about adopting his kid); he attempts to deal with taboo subjects in a way that minimizes stigma (I do listen to his podcasts). He routinely offers a platform to people occupying the sexual outskirts of mainstream...sex.

And, judged solely by the percentage of straight female/lesbian/bisexual voices I hear on his podcast I often wonder how he gets such a bad rap. Does he speak for me? No more than anyone else. He does speak to me a lot.

Yorkist

Banned
Reaction score
This is probably not news, but just in case anyone was wondering who exactly was behind "Chick-Fil-A appreciation day" - looks like it was former Arkansas governor and Fox News host Mike Huckabee.

Makes sense that hate tastes kinda like chicken.

ETA:

Does Popeyes hate gay people? If not, that could be their next ad campaign..

I actually think this was colossally awful long-term business strategy. The country is on a quick and steady march leftward regarding LGBT rights. I live in the middle of the Bible Belt and I overheard several conversations that indicated that the under-30 crowd are, overall, incensed about this.

That demographic may not be very good about showing up to vote, but they probably eat as much or more fast food as anyone else. And I don't think they're inclined to forget.

I used to like Chick-Fil-A because they at least gave their employees one guaranteed day off a week, but I don't think I'll be patronizing their establishment... oh - ever again.

And if I were a franchisee I'd be pissed. One day of record breaking profits =! next year's profits.

Last edited: