Not open for further replies.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Here's a place to showcase great book cover design and illustration, those books that stopped you in your tracks, their covers were so amazing.

Please link to the covers; don't hotlink them into this thread unless you have the copyright owners' express permission.

Wherever possible, include the illustrator's and designer's names.

I'd like to start with a set of three covers for the Australian editions of Celine Kiernan's Moorehawke Trilogy, which won the Australian Book Design Award for best designed children's series last year. I love them because they're unusual (one almost never sees atmospheric pen-and-ink rendering like this) and they work well to make a panoramic image.

Here are the cover images.

The covers were designed by Bruno Herfst and illustrated by Elise Hurst.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Those are gorgeous. I also suspect they would fail utterly in the American market, and I'm a little hesitant to say why (because I'm going to have to work hard to keep it from a rant). Or perhaps the children's market in the US is more open to drawn and painted covers? The YA market certainly seems swamped with Photoshopped-from-model pieces.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I can't remember the author, never mind much else about it, but there was a mid-forties (?) novel called King Harold's Son which had the single most awesome fully-painted viking cover I have ever seen - a fantasy version, IIRC, but one of the few covers I can think of seeing and wishing I could do something so cool...

OC-138

Registered
Reaction score
The chinese cover for the name of the wind is gorgeous.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I meant to post in AW about one I saw last fall at Wordstock Book Fair in Portland, Oregon. It was from McSweeneys and had 3 (3!) dust jackets, each cut a little differently so that they could all be seen at once, and they worked together beautifully. Wonderful paper, not just shiny stuff, and then taking off the dust jackets revealed a wonderful cover too, and it was all so beautiful I was going to buy the book just for the cover(s) ... but didn't and now I can't find it on their website.

But I think they do a great job with many of their books. Here's a link to their current fiction.

https://store.mcsweeneys.net/t/categories/books/fiction

LucyGray

Registered
Reaction score
So I'm not the only one who buys a book for the cover? Or doesn't buy a book because of the cover. I am amazed by the crappy shimmery photo covers on many self-published books these days. If you're proud of your writing, why settle for a photo of your cousins in period garb pretending to be vampires? Hmm, that sort of answers the question, doesn't it?

Pinguicha

Has the cutest cat in the world!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pinguicha.wordpress.com
I've read two books with beautiful covers recently. Both YA. One was Jodi Meadows's Incarnate. The other was Wither by Lauren DeStefano. Incarnate's cover was exceptionally striking and fit the book perfectly.

aibrean

Author, Designer, Imaginative Being
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilsadowski.com
Status
Not open for further replies.