Not open for further replies.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Self-publishers who have used cover artists and designers, how was your experience? Please share. Were you satisfied? Was it difficult? What advice would you give other self-published authors?

sandyn

AW Aficionado
Registered
Reaction score
Self Pubbed Book Covers

I have found royalty free commercial use photos and used Gimp to do my own covers because I simply can't afford to use an artist to do covers for me, although I wish I could find someone to do them. I'm sure they would be much better than my own...

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I couldn't afford a cover artist to grace my first self-pubbed book. I just happened to mention on a writer's forum that I hadn't the talent or knowledge to construct one. A gal took pity on me and sent me a private email. She worked a cover up for me, titled it and sent it. I'm using that cover right now on Amazon, and I'm very happy with it. What's not to like when you're gifted.

Her name is Farah Evers and she does great work. She hangs out at the Accentuate Writers forum. You can visit her there.

My cover is here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008SDVEQU/?tag=absowrit-20

BTW: That's a free book--click on that sucker!

tri

Eriador117

Hobbit Botherer
Registered
Reaction score
I have used a few different artists, as I wanted each book to have a unique feel. For The Prince's Guard (m/m erotica short story) I used a premade cover from http://wicked-art.wix.com/wicked-cover-designs, which you can see here:
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/210787
The premades are only sold once. It was very reasonable and I received the file very quickly. It cost $20, a bargain I thought. Their prices for custom covers are quite reasonable too. I'd certainly think about using them in the future.

For Silent Screams, I used AMD designs for a custom cover. They had a special offer on at the time, where you got a custom cover for the price of a premade, $45 at the time. I told the designer what I wanted and got it on the cover. I like the mysterious feel to it. You can see that cover here:
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/9687

And AMD Designs is here:
http://amdesignstudios.net/

For Of Pets and Pleasures (short story m/m erotica), I used Jared Rackler and got a custom ebook cover for $35. It made that figure back and more the first day I posted it to allromance :) You can see that cover here:
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/49988

And Jared's site is here:
http://jaredrackler.wordpress.com/gallery-of-works/

Everyone I used was very prompt in getting designs back to me for approval and took into consideration things like changing fonts for example. I'd recommend all three.

I also had a lovely premade cover for The Chosen as mine was too short to go to print with the epublisher, as my parents for example don't read ebooks so I got a few done at Lulu. That was with author creations, but they are no longer doing book covers. The cover I got is here:
http://www.lulu.com/shop/annette-gisby/the-chosen/paperback/product-18808181.html

Take care,
Annette

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I have contracted one cover so far. It went fine until I tried to upload to Createspace (the platform I specifically had the cover designed for) and it was not accepted. Then the artist went silent on me and would not help, even with an offer to pay for her time.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Nope, it still isn't up--self-publishing is not very high on my priority list right now. I have a whole pile of reverted manuscripts I need to have reformatted and given covers. But I need it to be straightforward.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Send me a PM so we can exchange contact info.

I'll take a look at the image and see if I can fix it for uploading sometime between now and Monday.

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathyanncoleman.blogspot.com
I'm not going to name the designer here, because I do not know who is at fault for my current situation. What I can tell you is that the effort to get a cover designed for my book this summer has caused me more stress then it's worth.

I hired my cover artist on the 6th of July and paid her $115 up front via PayPal (this is the price she quoted me based on what I was looking for). This was to cover a front cover, a back cover and a spine. At the time I felt I was getting an absolutely amazing deal. (I want an eBook and print version via CreateSpace -- my dream is to hold my own book.)

We corresponded back and forth during the first few days and the e-mail prior to my paying her stated that she was going to send me a mail full of potential ideas (I assumed these were going to be descriptions -- I would not *dream* of expecting an artist to create something before s/he and I agreed on it). I did not get an e-mail from this individual that discussed anything to do with my project until the 23 of August. All of the time prior to that was me trying to play mail tag and figure out why nothing was getting done. (I had given her a due date of the end of this month -- August 31st -- as I felt that would give us loads of time to decide everything and her to put it all together.)

What makes that decision very bad, and it's definitely a lesson that will stick, is that by giving this much time I have lost any form of protection via PayPal. Now, I'm not the sort of person who would likely use that anyway. And for something like this I think using that would be difficult. You can't say a piece of art is "broken" the way a piece of glass might come in the mail. But still -- it wasn't smart and it shows my lack of knowledge regarding PayPal.

She asked for information about the lead character, who we had decided should go on the front cover. I provided the details, mainly about clothing and she has sent me two models. Neither of them make sense for what I thought we were going for. I specified that my lead would likely either be wearing pastels or holiday colors (since my book takes place around Christmas). These models were wearing black and brown.

I took time to look at them and calmed down before I wrote anything. I concluded that the artist must not have been able to find someone who looked right and had what I wanted. (And keep in mind that the way this cover's focus has gone still confused me. I never intended for the aspect of the character the artist has chosen to highlight to be on the cover and I still am not certain it makes sense.)

Aside from ignoring my requests on practically everything to do with the character's appearance, she also completely avoided my questions about what font(s) she was thinking of using for the title and my name. I'm not an expert at cover design but I know these things are important and I was curious what she had in mind. Even if she had said she hadn't gotten that far yet I wouldn't be as aggravated as I am that she just brushed this aside.

I wrote her back with feedback on each image. I told her what I liked about them and I told her my concerns about them. I also told her what I "felt" when I looked at them. One was more of an active image (the model looks like she is jumping, dancing or flying) while the other has a girl in a more stand-off position (like she might be arguing with someone or debating something.) I even went so far as I figure out a minor edit in my text that I could make which would make using the first image plausible if we chose it. My point here is that in no way have I tried to be deliberately difficult to work with.

That e-mail went to her on Sunday night / Monday morning. I still have not received a reply or any other form of acknowledgement that this individual received, read or at all considered anything that I said.

The "due date" is tomorrow, so I have to assume that she has gone ahead with whatever she decided as opposed to answering my e-mail so that we could both be on the same page with regard to making this decision. (If she was going to do that, why e-mail about it to begin with?) Of course this last bit is speculation and it is likely influenced by my long term frustration with this situation. Please excuse me. I'm usually not that quick to conclude things.

At this point I am not sure what I should do. If she sends me a cover do I use it? Am I obligated to use it? Here's the way I see things right now: regardless of what I do my money is gone. I obviously made a bad decision and did not look into this thoroughly enough. But my book is part of a series and it was / is my goal to try and work with one artist for the project so that the books will all look related to one another and since I figure(d) that will save me some trouble.

So if she does end up sending me a cover (and who knows what's going to happen and when at this point? I certainly don't.) and I use it, that means I'm going to wind up going through this again. And at this point I don't think there is a thing this person could do to salvage the situation. This has been a nightmare.

I am not certain what I should be doing at this point. And as I said at the start, I don't know whether I've caused my own problems here or whether this just ended up being a bad situation. If anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated. Thank you. :)

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
I've had 2 great experiences with cover artists, both for the cover of my book Hatchings. The first one was with a fellow AWer who put together the book's current cover (which I can't show you right now due to being on an iPad). The second was a paid artist ($100) who did an absolutely amazing cover which, unfortunately, didn't sell the book.

I have zero complaints about either artist, but these days I do my own covers from digital photos, royalty photos found online, etc., and GIMP.

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
I made my own covers for my first 3 self-pubbed books for the same reason as a few other posters. Lack of funds.

But I'm considering commissioning someone for my next book, despite I'm still broke. I've been looking into commissioning an anime/digital artist at DeviantArt, but I'm iffy about it.

Rosalyn_Kae

Better to be forgotten than sued!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deathbyink-rosalynkae.blogspot.com
I've been working with Inkspell Publishing for a design for my indie debut and so far, I am very pleased. The designer has really done a phenomenal job on getting my vision on paper and is very prompt. Plus, the pricing is great. They're doing a ebook and print cover for me as well as a book banner and button all for $150. I would so far recommend these people to anyone who asks. I put up the first draft cover for my book on my blog.

Dreadful Romantic

Registered
Reaction score
I hired a cover artist for my first novel and was delighted with the results. I chose her because she had designed gorgeous covers for a self-published author I like, her online portfolio had more beautiful covers, and her fees were very reasonable.

I sent her some information about the book's characters and setting and links to covers I like in the sub-genre I write in (sci-fi romance). I was specific about the colour scheme I was looking for and what I didn't want in a cover as well (no shirtless men!).

Years ago, I used to hang out with a graphic designer and I remember her mentioning that it drove her crazy when clients told her, "You're a professional, I'm sure you'll come up with something I like." It made her job much easier when clients were as specific as possible about what they were looking for, and I kept that in mind when I contacted the cover artist.

I worked with Robin Ludwig at Go Book Cover Design and would recommend her to anyone in a heartbeat.

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I hired a cover artist for my first novel and was delighted with the results. I chose her because she had designed gorgeous covers for a self-published author I like, her online portfolio had more beautiful covers, and her fees were very reasonable.

I sent her some information about the book's characters and setting and links to covers I like in the sub-genre I write in (sci-fi romance). I was specific about the colour scheme I was looking for and what I didn't want in a cover as well (no shirtless men!).

Years ago, I used to hang out with a graphic designer and I remember her mentioning that it drove her crazy when clients told her, "You're a professional, I'm sure you'll come up with something I like." It made her job much easier when clients were as specific as possible about what they were looking for, and I kept that in mind when I contacted the cover artist.

I worked with Robin Ludwig at Go Book Cover Design and would recommend her to anyone in a heartbeat.

I contacted her. Fingers crossed. Thanks for posting.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score

Awesome stuff! I'll keep her in mind. Thanks for the recommendation.

Choosing a cover artist is nearly as stressful as choosing an editor. I am very nervous but I trust the recommendations of fellow writers. It makes the process easier.

Isobel Lindley

writing as Eleanor Beresford
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.eberesford.com
I've been looking into commissioning an anime/digital artist at DeviantArt, but I'm iffy about it.
I've done just that, and I'm thrilled so far. The concept designs she's sent me have been great, and she's suggested also doing some pen and ink drawings for internal illustrations, which I hadn't thought about but, on reflection, I'm keen on. There's no harm in finding someone whose work you love and dropping them a note to see if you'd work together well, especially if their commission rates are reasonable.

It all depends on your genre. Seeing mine can be brutally boiled down to schoolgirl lesbian romance, we thought a shojou-ai style would really not hurt in reaching a target audience. :D

Nick Rolynd

50% Dark, 50% Snark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
knitewrites.wordpress.com
I'm also with Robin at Robin Ludwig Design. She designed me an excellent cover last week in just a few days. Timely and professional. I may go back to her soon for a spine/back cover addition to my e-book cover once I've finished my WIP and headed on over to Amazon to publish. I'd really like to offer both e-book and paperback versions of my works.

Anyway, I highly recommend her. She has a large portfolio spanning many different authors and several genres.

annetpfeffer

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annepfeffer.com
I used Australian designer Scarlett Rugers www.scarlettrugers.com

I had a great experience. She designed the cover for my new book Girls Love Travis Walker (currently my avatar, although I do change it). She has great software for sharing artwork and ideas -- it makes the process easy and efficient. Her prices are reasonable -- she offers different packages at various price points.

I'd tried four or five designers before her and found her to be the best by far.

SR Roddy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.srroddy.com
My cover designer is very picky about shadows and lighting matching between models and pictures and tends to reject ones I like. She's opinionated and rolls her eyes at me often. She's also my teenage daughter and I've felt very lucky that she does the work for me. Yes, I do pay her for her work. I tried looking through premade sites, but I didn't like their work and I enjoy the control over my cover designs that she allows me to have.

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
I've been working with Inkspell Publishing for a design for my indie debut and so far, I am very pleased. The designer has really done a phenomenal job on getting my vision on paper and is very prompt. Plus, the pricing is great. They're doing a ebook and print cover for me as well as a book banner and button all for $150. I would so far recommend these people to anyone who asks. I put up the first draft cover for my book on my blog.

Ooh are you working with Naj? I think she's the in-house designer for inkspell.

The covers in my sig are both by Najla Qamber of Qamber designs and I've had a great experience. She makes it easy by having a form ready to fill in, and you can pick colour schemes and stock photos. She's way better at finding good stock photos than me, and seems to be able to create the atmosphere I was wanting even when I'm not too sure what I really want!

For shorter work I've had a go at GIMP and really liked it. In fact I've started putting together some pre-mades for possible sales.

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
I forgot to say that before I settled on my designer I trawled through the yellow pages on kindleboards and looked around. It's important to compare prices and look at portfolios before settling on an artist. You need to think about who you'll work well with and who 'gets' your genre.

AlterEgox5

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
abooksellerblog.blogspot.com
I was actually trying to contact a completely different cover designer when I found Regina Wamba on DeviantArt by accident. Realized she was in charge of Mae I Design and Photography and after contacting her, ended up using her for my cover. Totally worth every penny. I am absolutely going to her the next time I publish something. She was bright and chipper throughout all our emails and made me a cover that made me "Oooooooh" with delight. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.