PDA

View Full Version : Full request and chapter break down?

Project Deadlight
08-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Hi,

Just had my first request for a full manuscript and a chapter break down.

a) they asked for exclusivity, I presume it is ok to suggest a limit on that as I have partials out at other agents? What is the etiquette here?

b) any suggestions for how to present a chapter break down? Is it similar to synopsising or can you say "we learn that Bob's tumour turns out to be his mother..."

Thanks so much in advance.

Oh and what's an accepted time limit to respond to such a request?

amschilling
08-01-2012, 06:46 PM
I can't really speak to item B, but for A, you can't give them an exclusive because you have partials out already. In this scenario, I would just explain that other agents have the manuscript so an exclusive is not available.

JanDarby
08-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Or you can say that partials are out with other agents, but that they can have an exclusive for two weeks (or a month) on the full.

I'd guess that a synopsis would satisfy the agent, with respect to the chapter breakdown.

Project Deadlight
08-01-2012, 09:39 PM
thanks guys -- they have my synopsis already. Guess I know what I'll be writing the rest of tonight! :)

Debbie V
08-07-2012, 02:02 AM
My impression is that a chapter break down is more of an outline. A synopsis isn't necessarily split chapter by chapter. However, you can ask them.