Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
What hardly anyone knows about me is that I actually was planning to go into Art as a career - the English and writing thing was going to be my back-up -- and I'm still sort of an Art History Geek. :D

So I still read a great deal about art, look at art, and DO art. A recent and delicious site I've found (via PNH at Making Light) is Ex Urbe -- here's a great example of why, with a discussion about porphyry and another lovely set of examples about the differences between Florentine Byzantine/Medieval Madonnas and Renaissance innovations.

What are some of everyone else's favorites? I'm greedy about beautiful art, and my bookmarks are just waiting for new treasures!

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
And then I like MacAllister's Written in Stone art.

I love river pebbles like those. I grew up in the styx, and there was a creek I spent a lot of time at about a mile from my house. We'd skip rocks there all the time, and I remember one time almost throwing a soft shelled turtle mistaking it for a rock.

All that to say, I like the stones. And sorry for the OT.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
No worries - the stones carved with words are enormously popular with the market crowds, but my heart really belongs to the bigger pieces with the carved horses or ravens or other original designs. Those are, of course, deeply influenced by much older art.

Rhubix

New kid, critique harshly!
Registered
Reaction score
I live at conceptart.org It's the AW of concept art. Members range from complete novice to pro, fine artist to cartoonists. Plus plenty of people willing to offer personal advice and meaningful critics.
My favorite forum is the sketchbook one. I love looking at peoples sketches and struggles, more then finished products.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Thanks to all from for the links.

Went to the De Young last week and went through the early Americas collection. Simply astounding. Wish they would put all their stuff online.

Mac, if you want to blend interests, I'd suggest M : The Man Who Became Caravaggio

Part biography, part art history, part social history, part whodunnit. He was the equivalent of today's out of control rock star, and an intensely talented man. Terrific book.

BTW, my late aunt, Helen Levitt, was one of the premier American photographers of the 20th century.

Here's one of my many favorites of hers.

And another.

One more

Status
Not open for further replies.