Film Trailer: Dear White People

Status
Not open for further replies.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
So I heard a few people talking about this film because it's competing over at Indiewire's Project of the Month.

The title obviously caught my attention right away, but I rolled my eyes. I immediately thought of that recent PSA on white privilege. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised at the complexity here and of course it's pretty good indie quality production value.

About the film:
DEAR WHITE PEOPLE follows the stories of four black students at an Ivy League college where a riot breaks out over a popular "African American" themed party thrown by white students. With tongue planted firmly in cheek, the film will explore racial identity in "post-racial" America while weaving a universal story of forging one's unique path in the world.

And the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=watjO62NrVg

ETA: Probably not that clear above so! the film hasn't been made yet. There's just a screenplay and a concept trailer.

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
That actually looks interesting. The line "Dear White People, do not touch our hair. Does it look like a petting zoo?" cracked me up.

miss marisa

Registered
Reaction score
I really want to see this made!

And this reaction video is kind of funny in a sad way.

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
This reminds me an article on an incident that happened a while ago on a college campus.

Nice trailer. I liked the tone and I'd totally see that.

EarlyBird

Grinding it out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twentyfoursevenlife.com
That's exactly the kind of dialog society needs to engage in. Can't wait to see it!

Do white people really touch hair like that? Reminds me the first time I was in China and people kept touching my blond curls...one person even pulled my hair from the back. I started wearing it in a severe bun to ward off the hands.

Last edited:

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
I think that the trailer brought up some great points about racial stereotypes used in movies. God forbid there should be one movie made with an all Black cast that DOESN'T have gospel music and an overload of dumb humor. Not every Black person is a Baptist and a comedian.

Why can't there be an all Black cast in a horror movie or thriller? Something that I'd actually watch.

We need more movies like American Gangster.

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Interesting! I'd love to see this movie. I hope it gets made and is well executed. Thanks for this, missesdash.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
That actually looks interesting. The line "Dear White People, do not touch our hair. Does it look like a petting zoo?" cracked me up.

I've been known to ask people with interesting hair if I can touch theirs.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
I would LOVE to see this. It could spark much needed dialogue.

I have heard it all and yes,they will touch your hair. From an elderly White lady inquiring if I had White ancestry because my hair is long to a woman asking my 12 year old daughter if she was wearing a weave.

Status
Not open for further replies.