Know a book jacket artist??

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucyGray

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings, I've joined to get some candid feedback about book cover artists. One thing we can count on: writers are a candid bunch :) and love to express their opinions.
We're a husband-and-wife writing team who specialize in men's adventures. We're looking for a new jacket artist, but have reached Maximum Frustration Point looking at portfolios and applications on graphic artist and illustrator sites. Responses to our ads include artists who specialize in fairies, magicians, cartoons, children and other genres totally NOT related to our topic, and we don't even want to discuss the competency level of 97% of the applicants. Does ANYone out there have a great illustrator or know a graphic artist who would like to work with us on our series? Thanks so much.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to move this to our Art&Design Forum

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
I have experience in these things, though I'm not sure I'd like to throw myself into the fire of incompetence.

Also there's Alessandra, our mod, who did a nice jacket for a recent AW anthology. And her skin is much thicker than my own.

CaPooF

Registered
Reaction score
Hm... I'm a graphic designer, and I've done a few book covers. Don't know what you're looking for, though. If you want to check out my work, my portfolio is at cpfdesign.wordpress.com

Paige

Joe Simmons

Book Cover Illustrator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jsimmonsillustration.com
Greetings, I've joined to get some candid feedback about book cover artists. One thing we can count on: writers are a candid bunch :) and love to express their opinions.
We're a husband-and-wife writing team who specialize in men's adventures. We're looking for a new jacket artist, but have reached Maximum Frustration Point looking at portfolios and applications on graphic artist and illustrator sites. Responses to our ads include artists who specialize in fairies, magicians, cartoons, children and other genres totally NOT related to our topic, and we don't even want to discuss the competency level of 97% of the applicants. Does ANYone out there have a great illustrator or know a graphic artist who would like to work with us on our series? Thanks so much.

Let me throw my name into your hat:
JSimmons Illustration

LucyGray

Registered
Reaction score
Book cover specifics

SBibb, I'm sorry I didn't give more detail about what we were seeking for our book covers. On this site, I was looking for author referrals, and didn't realize there was a forum for artists! Thanks for the reminder to be more specific.
Our ad on graphic artist sites read: "Seeking artist for book covers for men’s fiction adventure series (not sci-fi or fantasy). Need someone skilled at unique lighting, establishing dark mood and tone (noir), portraying “tough guy” male figures in cityscapes with vintage vehicles and motorcycles. We have photos and mock-ups of specific items to be included on each jacket per the book subject, and welcome your interpretation and creativity. Looking for a mix of painterly realism with action style composition. Basic drawing and composition skills a must."

Thanks again to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.