Personalized rejections

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Picking up on a thread I started in the Rejections and Dejections section, why would an editor compose a beautiful three page letter rejecting a manuscript if he/she didn't want to publish it instead of just sending back a form?

How often does this happen? Is there any chance, when in receipt of such a sterling rejection, to turn it around with that editor?

sirensix

Mediocre Sorceress
Registered
Reaction score
I'm no editor/agent, but as someone who has directed plays, I imagine it's the same principle: You only have so many spots to fill on your client roster or so many books you can put out a year, and you've found several things you like better, for the time being. But you want the writer to feel encouraged, because you can see they have potential.

VeggieChick

Registered
Reaction score
!

I agree. Sometimes it's just not something they feel they can take on, or their list is full. I'd take it as a good sign to keep submitting. Good luck!

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
VeggieChick said:
I agree. Sometimes it's just not something they feel they can take on, or their list is full. I'd take it as a good sign to keep submitting. Good luck!
ditto. It's a rejection, so don't go back to the editor with the same manuscript, but know that he or she thinks you have promise. Good luck

dlcharles

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dlcharles.com
Count yourself fortunate! Most of us don't even rate the formality of a return of our mss. after we included the return postage. It places you in the higher percentile of 'almost ready' authors.

9 more to go until I get the Holy 50