Gothic Romances?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GradyHendrix

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering if people could recommend some of the best gothic romances? I'm specifically looking for 20th century novels, and if it's got a woman in a diaphanous gown running away from a dark house in the background with one lit window, then all the better.

There must be some really great/absurd/classic/unexpectedly wonderful gothic romances out there, but I am entirely ignorant about the genre. Thanks in advance!

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
The gothic romance novels of Victoria Holt. Lots of diaphanous gowns and creepy castles. Haven't read one in years, but I used to eat 'em up.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Mary Stewart. AIRS ABOVE THE GROUND, THE MOON-SPINNERS, and NINE COACHES WAITING are still masterpieces of mid-20th Century gothic romance. All of her works feature rich and vivid descriptions and tight plots - do not read these if you skip long paragraphs of description and set-up, because you'll miss evocative passages and vital clues.

JoyceH

Registered
Reaction score
Website
joyceharmon.wordpress.com
I second the Victoria Holt recommendation. Her gothics were really the best of the genre.

Is anyone writing gothics anymore? Back when Holt was a best-seller, seems like publishing houses really glutted the market with third-rate paperback gothics and killed off the genre for at least a generation - has it ever recuperated?

Evangeline

Twirling in a glass of champagne
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edwardianpromenade.com
Third the recommendation for Victoria Holt. I am an absolute geek over gothic romances. They were the first books I discovered in the adult section of the library as a teenager, and I devoured anything with those now stereotypical covers. I highly recommend Jill Tattersall, Nancy Buckingham, Jane Tooms, Virginia Coffman, Lucinda Baker, Dorothy Daniels, Dorothy Eden, Alexandra Manners, Rona Randall, Mary Linn Roby, Barbara Michaels, and Phyllis A. Whitney.

You should also visit The Gothic Journal, the Gothic Romance Forum, and the Gothicked blog.

Evangeline

Twirling in a glass of champagne
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edwardianpromenade.com
I second the Victoria Holt recommendation. Her gothics were really the best of the genre.

Is anyone writing gothics anymore? Back when Holt was a best-seller, seems like publishing houses really glutted the market with third-rate paperback gothics and killed off the genre for at least a generation - has it ever recuperated?

I think that after those knock-offs oversaturated the market, gothic romances were finished off by romantic suspense, and later, paranormal romance. Jennifer St. Giles and Diane Tyrell published gothic romances in the early 00s, historical and contemporary, respectively, but it's so difficult to convince people to read gothics because the elements of which they are comprised have become such a cliche. Plus, there's the complaint that they are all about weak, fainting women falling for dark, mysterious and overbearing men (funny, considering that this trope is a staple across all romance sub-genres).

ETA: there is a growing number of authors self-publishing gothic romance. Belinda Kroll is one, and Amanda DeWees is another.

Last edited:

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
I think that after those knock-offs oversaturated the market, gothic romances were finished off by romantic suspense, and later, paranormal romance. Jennifer St. Giles and Diane Tyrell published gothic romances in the early 00s, historical and contemporary, respectively, but it's so difficult to convince people to read gothics because the elements of which they are comprised have become such a cliche. Plus, there's the complaint that they are all about weak, fainting women falling for dark, mysterious and overbearing men (funny, considering that this trope is a staple across all romance sub-genres).

ETA: there is a growing number of authors self-publishing gothic romance. Belinda Kroll is one, and Amanda DeWees is another.

It's a shame, because I love them in all their sillyness.

I think if someone could write one now, turning some of the cliches on their heads (how about a weak, fainting man falling for a dangerous, brooding heroine?) and reworking others, it might work.

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
Deanna Raybourn wrote one recently, THE DEAD TRAVEL FAST. It was lots of fun, and I suspect she had fun writing it.

oldhousejunkie

Registered
Reaction score
Deanna Raybourn wrote one recently, THE DEAD TRAVEL FAST. It was lots of fun, and I suspect she had fun writing it.

I second Deanna Raybourn. She's one of my favorite writers and very nice. I e-mailed her once asking some questions about pitching my non-traditional historical romance, and she's great.

THE DEAD TRAVEL FAST was a stand alone outside of her Lady Julia Grey series. I liked it a lot but I think some people didn't. The heroine was not your typical weak willed woman; very independent, etc. I thought it worked.

While not mid-20th century, let us not forget the pioneers of the genre. Ann Radcliffe's MYSTERIES OF UDOLPHO and THE ITALIAN, and Jane Austen's NORTHANGER ABBEY. I'd even throw in Charlotte Bronte's JANE EYRE because of the sinister castle and crazy ex-wife in the tower thing. :)

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lisa Greer has one out, The Master and the Governess. I think it's part of a new gothic romance series she has planned.

JenniferGoodnight

Registered
Reaction score
It's a shame, because I love them in all their sillyness.

I think if someone could write one now, turning some of the cliches on their heads (how about a weak, fainting man falling for a dangerous, brooding heroine?) and reworking others, it might work.

LOL. Someone DEFINITELY needs to write that.

GradyHendrix

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much! Seriously, this is so helpful to me.

By the way, has anyone else noticed that the TomKat narrative is an old gothic romance? Innocent young woman marries a dark-haired, overbearing rich man who can give her anything she wants, but who has a tormented past (two former marriages) and a dark secret (we all assume). And now she has escaped! She's running from the castle!

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
Then there's Vincent Virga's Gaywyck, if you have any interest in a gay-themed gothic.

"He was so innocent, until he fell captive to the brooding master and sinister secrets of Gaywyck."

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Thanks so much! Seriously, this is so helpful to me.

By the way, has anyone else noticed that the TomKat narrative is an old gothic romance? Innocent young woman marries a dark-haired, overbearing rich man who can give her anything she wants, but who has a tormented past (two former marriages) and a dark secret (we all assume). And now she has escaped! She's running from the castle!

Run, Katie, run! Run like the wind!

God, I never thought of it that way. Plus, now she has the narrative of saving her daughter from the same fate. Run, Katie, run!

*snicker snicker* Bwahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.