PDA

View Full Version : MBA with an attitude

a_niki
01-11-2006, 01:35 AM
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, so forgive me if I jump in a little blindly.

I'm working on a screenplay, and I need some info on corporate life. My main character is a young man fresh out of business school. He's full of energy and ambition, but he's terribly green. He's been hired by a local retail chain that's being threatened by a national chain. The owner of the company mistrusts college boys, but he's desperate so he takes a chance on our hero. He's got to come up with a new marketing strategy, and fast. I need him to have talent, but I also need him to make terrible blunders. Any ideas? What are some of the most aggravating things a green MBA could do?

Thanks in advance!

Jenny
01-11-2006, 11:12 AM
My mind's gone blank, although there should be tons of stuff. You can start with the guy quoting experts and templates and thinking that a consultant can save everything - and don't forget that he wants to remind people of his exciting, brand new MBA. Maybe have him drinking out of a mug plastered with 'MBA'. Even nice people get overcome with the excitement of earning an MBA, or doctorate, or whatever.

I guess you're looking for the gap between theory and practice. So he orders a huge stack of promotional t shirts for the store - but in the color of the area's hated, rival football/baseball team.

Or he invests in a radio/tv advertising blitz and then puts it on during a show that the local area's boycotting because ...

And I bet there's a site out there somewhere on the web that gives you marketing bloopers. Sorry I couldn't come up with anything useful.

Jenny

a_niki
01-11-2006, 12:07 PM
Those are great ideas, Jenny. Just the kind of thing I was looking for. Something that will not only offend the boss/company, but the community at large. Thanks! If you think of anything else, please let me know.

Jenny
01-12-2006, 05:18 AM
Glad I could help. And just for fun (and to show that anything can be a marketing mistake) how about Barbie splitting with Ken - and for an Aussie surfer dude! - two days before Valentine's Day http://money.cnn.com/2005/03/02/news/fortune500/branding_blunders/ ?

a_niki
01-14-2006, 06:24 PM
Thanks.

I'm still looking for more stories, so if anyone else has something to share...