PDA

View Full Version : teenage/teenaged

lorna_w
07-30-2012, 05:24 PM
I'm obsessing over individual letters in my synopsis now. :Shrug:

Do you have an opinion over the use of "teenage" versus "teenaged" as an adjective? My understanding in the latter is "correct" but the former is now perfectly acceptable. Or would you save four or five letters and go with "teen"?

I'm in insanesynopsismode the US.

Kerosene
07-30-2012, 05:31 PM
This is just a case of, "What ever sound bestestestestest."

If you had the sentence, we could find the right context.

onesecondglance
07-30-2012, 06:41 PM
The "d" on the end sounds odd to me.

"Teenage kicks, so hard to beat..."
"Teenaged kicks..."

Nope, sounds weird.

"Nothing so ridiculously teenage and desperate"
"Nothing so ridiculously teenaged and desperate"

Hardly makes a difference.

I'd veer towards "teenage", personally.

MoLoLu
07-30-2012, 07:02 PM
Definitely with SecondGlance on this. Teenage. But I live in Europe. Us expats are know to be weird.

evilrooster
07-30-2012, 07:33 PM
My feeling is that "teenage" is more appropriate in the US, and "teenaged" is more British.

Google tells me there's a US TV show called "I Hate My Teenage Daughter", which will both indicate and influence acceptable usages.

Go with "teenage". And breeeeaaaatheeeee...it'll be OK :Hug2:

Roger J Carlson
07-30-2012, 07:37 PM
See now, "teenaged" sounds better to me. Which just means that either will probably sound jarring to someone.

What about avoiding the issue altogether and go with "teenager"?

ETA: Interestingly,

"I Hate My Teenage Daughter"

and

"I Hate My Teenaged Daughter"

sound virtually identical.

lorna_w
07-30-2012, 08:29 PM
It described character: teenage(d) Joe does thisandthat.

I started with "fourteen-year-old"...may revert to it because this issue is driving me nuts. ;) I'll try and breathe, ER. I'm relatively sure the "d" will not be a make or break issue for the synopsis: "Gee, what a great idea, loved your chapters, riveted by story/voice/characters but alas, you put a 'd' on 'teenage.' So go eff off." Probably not going to see that email soon.

ArtsyAmy
07-31-2012, 04:15 PM
I used to use "teenaged" rather than "teenage." Thought only "teenaged" was correct. But recently looked it up and learned that "teenage" is also acceptable. My understanding is similar to yours--perhaps at one time only "teenaged" was acceptable, and now "teenage" also is. I've found that sometimes "teenaged" sounds stuffy, so I recently deleted the "d" in something I was writing. (I'm from the U.S.A., if that's relevant here.)

SophieM2401
08-01-2012, 12:32 AM
I'm from the UK and I'd use "teenage" almost always unless it was in a string of similar adjectives, eg "Like he thought I'd ever fancy him, the gormless, spotty, teenaged lout."

dobnarr
08-04-2012, 03:34 AM
I don't know what's right, but "teenaged" sounds off to me. If pressed, I'd be OK with "teenaged" for a person (my teenaged daughter) and "teenage" for non-people (a teenage obsession). But I'd probably try to avoid both of them, since now that I think about it, they both sound kind of weird.

Kevin Nelson
08-07-2012, 11:55 AM
Either one sounds good to me. I'd use "teen" as an adjective only in a very informal context though.