Latin phrases translation (or, fun with declensions)

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
I recently found three Latin phrases that I think my husband wrote a few years ago. I get the gist of them but wanted some more knowledgeable insight if possible:

nusquam est certus
nusquam est pollicitus
mutatio est necesse

I think the first is "nothing is certain", the second is "nothing is promised", and the third "change is necessary"?

(These were all on a computer printout I found crumpled up with other documents he was compiling when he first decided he was walking out on me and our kids, so I think they have something to do with that, if that context helps at all in translation efforts.)

He never took any Latin in school, so I think he Googled what he wanted to express and cobbled together what he found, not worrying about declension or other specifics - like, I think mutatio might actually be the verb "I change" or "I modify" but I think he may have used it as the noun "change," or even the infinitive "to change." Same thing with pollicitus - I only remember the first declension endings (-a -ae -ae -am -a, -ae -arum -is -as -is) and a few of second declension (-o, -orum, that's it), so I don't remember if -us could ever be used for a verb and if that would change the meaning of the second phrase.

Gah, I'm probably making more of this than there is. My high school Latin still serves me well, but I adore the intricacies of translation/transliteration and sometimes my brain doesn't know when to stop analyzing. ;) Thanks in advance for any comments or insight anyone might have. :)

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
nusquam est certus
nusquam est pollicitus
mutatio est necesse

I don't think he's correct with the first two. Nusquam is an adverb meaning nowhere, in nothing, for nothing.

in nothing / nowhere is certain
in nothing / nowhere
was promised

mutatio est necesse does mean change is necessary. mutatio is the noun for change. 3rd declension F with mutationis as the genitive form.I would render the other two as:

Nihil certus est.
Nihil promittitur.

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I don't believe the "mutatio" is a correct form. I didn't find it on the two sites that I checked, but there were related forms that indicated that the "io" ending might be correct for some third declension nouns.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Mutatio is the correct nominative. I don't like the word order, though. Suggest:
Mutatio necesse est

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I don't believe the "mutatio" is a correct form. I didn't find it on the two sites that I checked, but there were related forms that indicated that the "io" ending might be correct for some third declension nouns.

It is correct as Ben said above and the "io" ending is both correct and common in third declension nouns. In fact, you won't find any nouns with a nominative in "io" in any other declension.

"io" is one of the suffixes that can be added to the present or supine stem of a verb to form a feminine, 3rd declension noun which names an act or the result of an act.

In this case, "mutare" (to change) has the supine form "mutatum". By removing the "um" and adding "io" for the nominative and "ionis" for the genitive, the noun "mutatio" is formed.

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, thanks you guys! It's times like this I'm struck (again) by just how much of the language I've forgotten. Even basic things like word order, which I should've seen myself right off the bat.

I really appreciate everybody's input. I find it fascinating. Thanks!