PDA

View Full Version : Olympics 2012

mirandashell
07-29-2012, 08:33 PM
Mods, ok if I open a thread in here to talk about the events specifically?

mirandashell
07-29-2012, 08:55 PM
Anyone watching the archery? Pretty good stuff. China v Korea in the final.

CrastersBabies
07-29-2012, 09:15 PM
I haven't watched the archery. I have hours recorded so far, so I imagine I'll get to it. Been watching swimming and gymnastics so far. Phelps dethroned! Whoah!

And the Men's gymnastic's team looks pretty solid this year. Go Great Britain, too!

dolores haze
07-29-2012, 09:17 PM
I've been enjoying the gymnastics trials. I was surprised that there are two gymnasts in their late thirties (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/29/sports/olympics/in-late-30s-olympic-gymnasts-continue-to-compete.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=olympics) competing. Holy wow!

I watched female weightlifting for the very first time time yesterday. The ladies were about 100 lbs of solid muscle lifting more than twice their own body weight. Holy wow again!

mirandashell
07-29-2012, 09:25 PM
I'm going to watch the gymnastic trials on catch up. Archery spoiler: Well done Korea. Won it on the last arrow!

I like watching the weight lifting as well. Amazingly strong, some of them.

CrastersBabies
07-29-2012, 11:30 PM
I saw the man from Bulgaria in the men's gymnastics. Pretty amazing! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the German gymnast that injured his ankle during a bad vault landing. He's hanging in there.

Women's qualifying tonight. I'll be recording that and FF'ing through a lot. I'm already sick of the commercials. :)

I also caught some of the female weightlifting. Holy cow. I just cannot imagine not only the strength required, but the balance.

mirandashell
07-29-2012, 11:45 PM
Football shocker: Spain are losing to Honduras! They could be out!

mirandashell
07-30-2012, 12:45 AM
OMG!

Spoiler: Spain are out! Beaten one-nil by Honduras. And they damn well deserved it because of their behaviour. Man, they can unsporting!

Silver King
07-30-2012, 03:44 AM
Mods, ok if I open a thread in here to talk about the events specifically?
Yes, of course. Talk away. :)

IAMWRITER
07-30-2012, 03:58 AM
Watched the men's beach volleyball and was surprising enthralled. Saw some archery and was amazed - I did archery once and sucked at it. Also looking forwad to the wrestling too.

But though I'm a big football fan, I'm not too interested.

Chrissy
07-30-2012, 05:08 PM
Wow, synchronized diving??? I'd never seen that before. So cool!

Also, agreed as to enough commercials already! Reminds me why I usually just watch movies.

But this one was a major tear jerker.....: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRaQRbAxXaA

mirandashell
07-30-2012, 06:05 PM
Commercials - one problem we don't have on the BBC!

God bless the TV licence.

CrastersBabies
07-30-2012, 10:00 PM
I loved watching the synchronized diving. I've always been a diving fan (used to dive back in the day myself), but this new synchronized deal is hella fun.

U.S. Girls did good for gymnastics qualifying (thought heartbreaking to see how it ended all the same).

Men's relay, wow. So close!

Stiger05
07-30-2012, 10:07 PM
I agree, the synchronized diving was pretty interesting. One thing I love about the Olympics is watching the under-represented sports like archery and fencing.

Men's relay was exciting. Would have been more exciting if Twitter hadn't spoiled it for me.

US Women's gymnastics, what a surprise! Spoiler: I felt back for the one chick, Jordyn, for not making it to the all-arounds, but then again, nothing kept her out but herself and the other girl, Aly, scored better, so she deserves to compete. The new rules suck, but at least the chick already has a world title. I thought it wasn't fair to the girls who made it that the spotlight kept being put on Jordyn, and it wasn't fair to Jordyn that her crying-dreams dashed face will be replayed every time it's mentioned now. End Spoiler.

I'm looking forward to the Men's and Women's Gymnastics finals, and I'm excited about the Track and Field events starting!!

IAMWRITER
07-30-2012, 10:14 PM
Just watched some men's gymnastics - wow! They make it seem so easy and natural.

waylander
07-30-2012, 10:29 PM
Huge result for Britain's Men's gymnastics team!

mirandashell
07-30-2012, 10:30 PM
Ok. There is about to be a massive spoiler if you haven't seen the men's gymnastics. And I can't white it out. So if you don't want to know, go away and come back later.

WE WON A BRONZE! A bloody bronze! Unbelievable!

:hooray::snoopy::Thumbs::banana::Jump::e2moon:

We beat the Russians, the Germans, the Americans......

I'm going for a lie down. My poor old heart can't stand it!

dolores haze
07-30-2012, 10:31 PM
I love, love, love the gymnastics. My only complaint is that the US seems to be the only team competing. What's that you say? There are other teams? Hmm. I guess someone should tell NBC that.

veinglory
07-30-2012, 10:56 PM
I wish they would air some equestrian events.

Sophia
07-31-2012, 12:16 AM
My favourite is the fencing. I've been watching every single match on the dedicated channel the BBC has devoted to it - the first time I've caught any Olympic fencing in my life. There was a sad point tonight, with a Korean fencer losing out on a place in the women's epee final due to human error in the time keeping of the match, which stirred up a lot of emotion in the arena. It took over an hour for the result to be finalised after the Korean coach officially protested it, during which the Korean fencer had to sit alone on the piste (leaving would mean that she accepted the referee's decision). It was a frustrating and rather polarising incident, which will no doubt lead to changes in both the time-keeping and the decision-making process. I was very annoyed by one of our commentators - not only did he have a clear bias in favour of the Korean fencer after that, but he talked about her as if she was a fragile little flower. Grr.

mirandashell
07-31-2012, 12:43 AM

You should be able to see that on the internet.

Stiger05
07-31-2012, 12:50 AM

Yes! No offense to cycling enthusiasts, but that would be so much more exciting than cycling, which they seem to be airing all the time.

frimble3
07-31-2012, 04:19 AM
OLN(Outdoor Life Network) is showing the cross-country phase of the 3-day-eventing today. (Dressage was apparently yesterday) If you don't get OLN, or missed it due to time-shifting, you might find it on-line.

CrastersBabies
07-31-2012, 08:04 AM
Wow, as an American....

I'm kinda bummed about the men's gymnastics team. What was that? They completely choked. I truly feel bad for these guys. But.....

Holy cow, Great Britain! That made it all worthwhile to watch the event. Good on them.

dolores haze
07-31-2012, 08:13 AM
My husband has officially declared his favorite moment of these Olympics. While watching the the final results of the men's team gymnastics, my jaw apparently dropped open and hung there for approximately thirty seconds. A perfect ten of amazement. That event was freakin' epic!

mirandashell
07-31-2012, 03:16 PM
It was, wasn't? I still grin when I think about it. To think, 9 years ago we were 28th in the world..... thank you Lottery money!

mirandashell
07-31-2012, 07:41 PM
I thought Jordan Whatserface didn't get in the American team for the finals? Could swear I just saw her.

Stiger05
07-31-2012, 07:49 PM
She didn't make the All-around competition. They'll all compete during the team finals, though.

mirandashell
07-31-2012, 07:54 PM
Ah right. That explains it.

Duh! Sorry.

mirandashell
07-31-2012, 08:17 PM
Yes! Go on girl!

Glad we've got the beam out the way. We are MUCH better on floor.

Chrissy
08-01-2012, 03:34 AM
I love, love, love the gymnastics. My only complaint is that the US seems to be the only team competing. What's that you say? There are other teams? Hmm. I guess someone should tell NBC that.
Oh good, it's not just me. I thought maybe I was being unpatriotic. :D I want to see ALL the competitors!

frimble3
08-01-2012, 07:18 AM
Oh good, it's not just me. I thought maybe I was being unpatriotic. :D I want to see ALL the competitors!
I think that as part of the 'official coverage' deals they make, there should be some sort of facilities made available for the smaller countries. Even if it's just getting volunteers to record the opening rounds and putting them on the 'Net.
A lot of small countries only have a handful of athletes, in 'minor' sports, and they'll be out in the first rounds, which seldom get shown anyhow. I'll bet most of them don't get any record other than whatever home-movies their coaches, or team-mates shoot.
Surely there would be film students, and wanna-be sportscasters, who could put together little 'A Brave Attempt by ...' films that would give the folks back home something to look at, and a keepsake for the athletes.
And, something for the volunteers' portfolios.

mirandashell
08-01-2012, 04:21 PM
Good to hear that the badminton players that tried to manipulate the draw have been disqualified. Stop anyone else trying it.

mirandashell
08-02-2012, 01:18 AM
Is anyone watching the boxing?

This is some of the most ridiculuous stuff I've ever seen and I've been watching Olympic boxing for years!

1st fight - pretty good

2nd fight - we get half way through the first round and the ref starts giving penalties for holding! There wasn't much holding at all. And then he disqualifies the Iranian. Who wasn't doing any more holding than the Cuban! The Iranian refuses to go to the middle of the ring. He's shouting at his coach. Then he goes and shakes hands with the Cuban coaches, who look really embarrassed. The ref is standing in the middle of the ring holding the glove of the poor Cuban boxer and signals to the Iranian to come to the middle. The Iranian shakes his head. Another signal. Another shake of the head. Then the Iranian just climbs out the ring and walks off!

Next fight - massive Italian fella comes out to the tune of Where's your head at? Which I thought was most appropriate for the previous fight! He comes to the middle of the ring but there's no sign of the other fighter. Turns out the latter didn't turn up for his medical check before the fight. So the ref lifts the Italian's hand for a walkover and he jumps out the ring and walks off, waving to the crowd!

LOL!

robeiae
08-02-2012, 03:51 AM
Good to hear that the badminton players that tried to manipulate the draw have been disqualified. Stop anyone else trying it.

Meh. I think the decision was grossly unfair. Teams do this in group play for soccer (football) all of the time. Just today, Japan and Honduras stopped playing near the end of the game to make sure both would go through. Yesterday, the Japanese women were instructed by their coach to not score, to avoid travel and a potential match-up with the U.S. or France.

The Chinese women--in badminton--apparently wanted to avoid playing another team from China. Can't say that I blame them.

All that's been accomplished here is to force teams to be more clever with such moves. Next time, they won't make it so obvious or the'll just forfeit a match by citing some health issue.

Priene
08-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Meh. I think the decision was grossly unfair.

They weren't thrown out of the competition on a whim. They are cheats who broke two sections of the players' code that they themselves signed up to when they entered the Olympics: "not using one's best efforts to win a match and conducting oneself in a manner that is clearly abusive or detrimental to the sport."

And given it would probably cost a family of four a couple of hundred pounds for a day out to London to see that event, they're lucky they didn't get lynched.

mirandashell
08-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Absolutely!

mirandashell
08-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Well done to the South African coxless four on their gold medal! Fantastic race!

robeiae
08-02-2012, 05:00 PM
They weren't thrown out of the competition on a whim. They are cheats who broke two sections of the players' code that they themselves signed up to when they entered the Olympics: "not using one's best efforts to win a match and conducting oneself in a manner that is clearly abusive or detrimental to the sport."

And given it would probably cost a family of four a couple of hundred pounds for a day out to London to see that event, they're lucky they didn't get lynched.People paid money to see football matches like those I mentioned. Those teams didn't adhere to that code either, did they? Nor did all of the swimmers in various heats who backed off at the end to conserve their energy for the finals.

With group and round robin play, these kinds of moves are gonna be a given. It's either about winning medals or its about pure competition; can't be both, here. The fix is to make every match count. Win or go home.

Bufty
08-02-2012, 05:57 PM
Judo - Go Gemma Go! Well done!

Priene
08-02-2012, 06:09 PM
With group and round robin play, these kinds of moves are gonna be a given. It's either about winning medals or its about pure competition; can't be both, here. The fix is to make every match count. Win or go home.

Thnkfully, the Olympics have rules to prevent cheating. They cheated. They went home. Good.

robeiae
08-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Thnkfully, the Olympics have rules to prevent cheating. They cheated. They went home. Good.

And the soccer teams that did they same? Shouldn't they be sent home, too? Note that the Japanese coach told his team not to score (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/london/soccer/story/2012-08-01/Japan-soccer-not-win-Olympics/56657300/1) before their match. How does that mesh with the rules?

Look, I don't thing it was a great thing to do on the part of these women. If I had been there, I would have probably joined in the booing. And I would have been pissed that I paid to see people tanking a match on purpose. But that doesn't mean I have to agree with kicking them out. I don't. It's overkill and it was a self-satisfying, ego-stroking move imo.

mirandashell
08-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Judo - Go Gemma Go! Well done!

I know! Fantastic!

And we've just won gold in the Clay Pigeon and the Canoeing! Yah!

mirandashell
08-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Rob, Priene...

Please could you take this argument elsewhere? Maybe open a thread about sporting ethics?

mirandashell
08-02-2012, 07:12 PM
Well done Gemma! Good silver.

Bufty
08-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Sorry about Victoria Pendleton and Jess's disqualification but what a great attitude from Victoria.

mirandashell
08-02-2012, 09:18 PM
I feel so sorry for Victoria Komova in the gymnastics. She tried so hard in that floor exercise. I love the elegance and grace she shows.

And I much prefer that style of gymnastics. I don't like how some teams concentrate so much on power. If it goes on like this, we will lose what is special about the women's gymnastics. It will be like watching a man in a leotard.

Silver King
08-03-2012, 03:23 AM
Rob, Priene...

Please could you take this argument elsewhere? Maybe open a thread about sporting ethics?
Why? Their posts are on topic, interesting and perfectly suited for this discussion.

You started this thread to talk about the events specifically, which everyone has done thus far, including Rob and Priene. And I'd encourage them both to continue sharing their views here.

Chrissy
08-03-2012, 04:25 AM
Okay, so this morning, I opened my home page and there was an announcement on it as to who had won the women's individual gymnastics competition. My first thought was, oh no! I missed it! I had thought it was tonight. Turns out, it IS tonight, and that dang home page spoiled it for me!

Grrrr.

Oh well. Congrats (spoiler) Gabby!! I wanted you to win! :D

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
08-03-2012, 08:04 AM
And the soccer teams that did they same? Shouldn't they be sent home, too? ...<snip>... I don't. It's overkill and it was a self-satisfying, ego-stroking move imo.I don't think they should have been disqualified. They didn't technically "cheat"--the way the tourney was set up left a big gaping loophole for these players to take advantage of.

What I think should happen is the rules of the tourney should be examined to ensure that a team is always rewarded for playing to the best of their ability. As it stands now, badmiton is designed to reward the occasional throwing of a match. Anyone who wants the best shot at gold can hardly be faulted for taking advantage of the (poor) way the rules were written.

And, um, in other news, can someone tell me when the Rings were dropped from mens' gymnastics?

Priene
08-03-2012, 11:06 AM
And I'd encourage them both to continue sharing their views here.

Oh, I've moved on from that old argument anyway. Going down to the big smoke on Sunday to watch women marathon runners dodge lightning bolts up and down the Embankment.

Stiger05
08-03-2012, 05:58 PM
And the soccer teams that did they same? Shouldn't they be sent home, too? Note that the Japanese coach told his team not to score (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/london/soccer/story/2012-08-01/Japan-soccer-not-win-Olympics/56657300/1) before their match. How does that mesh with the rules?

Look, I don't thing it was a great thing to do on the part of these women. If I had been there, I would have probably joined in the booing. And I would have been pissed that I paid to see people tanking a match on purpose. But that doesn't mean I have to agree with kicking them out. I don't. It's overkill and it was a self-satisfying, ego-stroking move imo.

Rob, I think they all should have been punished. As a former athlete, I can't imagine not playing to win every single time.

Swimming, however, is a different matter. They still had to try their best to make it through semis, they just saved fifth gear for the finals. Your place in the semi doesn't necessarily gain you a place in the final if the swimmers in the next heat were faster, so it's not like they didn't put forth the effort. You didn't see any swimmers tanking heats. In fact, Soni made a new world record in a heat last night.

It's like a cyclist hanging back and conserving his energy for the final push at the end. That's not cheating, that's smart. And it's completely different from losing on purpose so you have easier opponents.

And I much prefer that style of gymnastics. I don't like how some teams concentrate so much on power. If it goes on like this, we will lose what is special about the women's gymnastics. It will be like watching a man in a leotard.

I'm so stoked for Gabby!! My heart broke for Komova, watching her cry at the end, and I thought her floor was better and more graceful, however, I thought Gabby did better on the other apparatuses. I, too, prefer the Russian style. They're so much prettier to watch, and most of them look like women. They've got curves and are muscular but not bulky. Their routines aren't about power but about style and grace and technique. I would love if USA gymnasts took ballet.

mirandashell
08-03-2012, 09:51 PM
Well done to the GB boys in the Cycling team pursuit! Superb stuff!

Not only did they get the gold medal, they also broke their own World record.

And they humiliated Australia. Which is always nice to a Brit.....

:tongue

And well done to the GB Women in the team pursuit! They did the same.

Except for the last bit!

mccardey
08-03-2012, 09:54 PM
And they humiliated Australia. Which is always nice to a Brit.....

:cry:

mirandashell
08-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Well done Victoria Pendleton! Superb!

IAMWRITER
08-03-2012, 10:33 PM
These Olympics are really making me proud!

And I said I wouldn't watch them as well...

mirandashell
08-03-2012, 10:50 PM
I didn't know Uzbekistan had 100m runners! There was a woman in the same heat as Sally-Ann Frasier! And she came fourth!

robeiae
08-03-2012, 11:48 PM
And I'd encourage them both to continue sharing their views here.Synchronized diving shouldn't be an Olympic event.

robeiae
08-03-2012, 11:53 PM
Rob, I think they all should have been punished. As a former athlete, I can't imagine not playing to win every single time.
Fair enough. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, after all.

But I agree with JohnnyGottaKeyboard: the system is set up incorrectly; it makes the occasional throwing of a match a smart move. It worked great for Japan. Their women's soccer team intentionally played not to win, took a lower seed, rested all their top players, didn't have to travel, and came out with a great game against Brazil, today. If they win the Gold, the coach's move will be viewed as a smart one.

mirandashell
08-04-2012, 01:03 AM
Just found out that Ethiopia's best ever Olympic middle-distance runner is.....

Tirenesh Dibaba! Yeh!

ETA: She's female, by the way. Just in case you didn't know.

Xelebes
08-04-2012, 01:18 AM
Synchronized diving shouldn't be an Olympic event.

How is Canada supposed to get its medals?

robeiae
08-04-2012, 01:21 AM
Curling?

OC-138
08-04-2012, 10:51 AM
I havent been interested in these olympics to be honest. Could be the fact it is Australias worst olympics in living memory?

Bufty
08-04-2012, 02:33 PM
Heptathlon athlete Jessica Ennis has a magnificent body - and I mean that in a physique sense.

fredXgeorge
08-04-2012, 03:26 PM
I havent been interested in these olympics to be honest. Could be the fact it is Australias worst olympics in living memory?
I love the Olympics, but holy crap. I wake up every morning, check the medal tally and feel sick every time I see that our gold hasn't changed. I don't understand what's happened.

Priene
08-04-2012, 04:47 PM
I love the Olympics, but holy crap. I wake up every morning, check the medal tally and feel sick every time I see that our gold hasn't changed. I don't understand what's happened.

Has your Sports Minister invested (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/feedarticle/10355006) in a GB tracksuit yet?

zahra
08-04-2012, 06:30 PM
Someone I am actually friends with has won a gold medal today!

Yay, Pete Reed!

mirandashell
08-04-2012, 06:57 PM

Was reading in the Independent newspaper this morning about the reactions in the Aussie press. Sounds like no one is understanding it

Priene
08-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Was reading in the Independent newspaper this morning about the reactions in the Aussie press. Sounds like no one is understanding it

I read some great quotes a few days ago from the French press when Great Britain were 20th in the medals table. Plenty of seriously premature gloating.

mirandashell
08-04-2012, 10:49 PM
Well, that's the French press for you. I bet they are choking on it now!

Priene
08-04-2012, 11:11 PM
I have to say I felt a little bit sorry for that French canoeist sobbing after being gubbed by the British.

mirandashell
08-04-2012, 11:23 PM
I'll tell you what's getting on my damn nerves... the GB track and field team. With the honourable exception of the heptathletes, they are a bunch of numpties.

I was watching the 110m hurdles. One of our blokes was in a heat. He came fourth. In a heat! In the interview afterwards, he was all chirpy and smiling. He actually said 'I gave it my all.' No mate, you didn't! Cos if you did, you would have been crawling off the track! Not standing there grinning like you're proud of yourself! Gaah!

The winner of the Bronze medal in the men's single sculls, he gave it his all. He couldn't walk when he got out of that boat, he was so exhausted. That's giving it your all.

There is something seriously wrong in the GB Track and Field team. The amount of money they get from the Lottery and for what? Nothing but 'I gave it my all'. If that's your all, what the hell are we paying you for?

I agree with Michael Johnson on this one.

Niti Newtfinger
08-04-2012, 11:24 PM
Man, has anyone been watching the trampoline events? I didn't even know it was an Olympic sport, but just watching everyone do these flips made me slightly dizzy. *awestruck*

mirandashell
08-05-2012, 12:04 AM
YAY! Jess Ennis!

YAY! Greg Rutherford!

Netz
08-05-2012, 12:20 AM
I loved the camaradarie of the other competitors afterwards when Jessica Ennis was doing her victory lap. :) There seemed to be such genuine warmth and delight for her.

Izhitsa
08-05-2012, 12:20 AM
Ennis, 'the face of Olympics', has dominated the event under the incredible pressure of great expectations. Amazing!

mirandashell
08-05-2012, 12:30 AM
Someone I am actually friends with has won a gold medal today!

Yay, Pete Reed!

Was that in the Clay Pigeon? I watched that. He was very cool until the last shot.

mirandashell
08-05-2012, 01:03 AM
Oh lor.... football-GB v S Korea

Penalties........ oh no.....

Alessandra Kelley
08-05-2012, 01:04 AM
Well.

I haven't watched the Olympics since, I think, 1972. But family was watching the 10,000 meter race and I just saw Mo Farah win it for the UK. Galen Rupp came in second for the US, and it was an unexpectedly moving moment.

crunchyblanket
08-05-2012, 01:04 AM
Oh, Mo, Mo, Mo! My hero! A black Muslim immigrant wins a gold for team GB. that sound you hear is every Daily Mail reader's head exploding.

mirandashell
08-05-2012, 01:06 AM
It was fantastic, wasn't it! I was screaming when he kicked away.

Track athletes no longer on the numpty list: Jess Ennis, KatrinaThompson-Johnson, Greg Rutherford, Mo Farrah.

crunchyblanket
08-05-2012, 01:08 AM
Even my Italian in-laws were screaming at the TV when Mo broke away. I think I actually shed a tear when he won. I'm so proud.

fredXgeorge
08-05-2012, 05:23 AM
Yep, we're in a state of shock here. And what makes it worst of all is that the KIWIS are beating us. Oh, the shame! We do have quite a few medals, so if we manage to get a few more gold then we'll charge back up the tally a way, but if we can only get one in the swimming then I'm not confident.

Xelebes
08-05-2012, 08:00 AM
For those curious what the current standings are in "Weighted" medal tallies (gold = 3, bronze = 1)

United States of America - 119
People's Republic of China - 119
Great Britain - 64
Russian Federation - 49
France - 44
Germany - 41
Republic of Korea - 38
Japan - 38
Australia - 34
Italy - 28
Kazakhstan - 15
Netherlands - 15
Canada - 15
Democratic People's Republic of Korea - 13
New Zealand - 13

But of course, golds are all that matters so. . .

Anyways, Canada is not doing terrible so far. 10 medals fetched by Saturday.

mirandashell
08-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Yep, we're in a state of shock here. And what makes it worst of all is that the KIWIS are beating us. Oh, the shame! We do have quite a few medals, so if we manage to get a few more gold then we'll charge back up the tally a way, but if we can only get one in the swimming then I'm not confident.

I'm guessing that afterwards there will be some serious discussion about what to do about it in time for the next Games.

Being beaten by us is bad enough but to be beaten by the Kiwis........

What's happening with the swimming? Will there be changes in the coaching set-up?

mirandashell
08-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Ennis, 'the face of Olympics', has dominated the event under the incredible pressure of great expectations. Amazing!

How are the Russian press covering the Games? Any discussion on the gymnastics?

mirandashell
08-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Well.

I haven't watched the Olympics since, I think, 1972. But family was watching the 10,000 meter race and I just saw Mo Farah win it for the UK. Galen Rupp came in second for the US, and it was an unexpectedly moving moment.

Is long-distance running popular in the US? I thought you didn't pay too much attention to it. So I was surprised to see Rupp come in second behind Mo.

Bekele must have been shocked to his socks!

Izhitsa
08-05-2012, 05:08 PM
How are the Russian press covering the Games? Any discussion on the gymnastics?

The coverage is quite comprehensive and, er, calm (although the Minister for Sport promises to draw 'hard conclusions' after the Games). As for gymnastics -- Douglas winning the all-around title has been accepted by the journos and the old-timers (Latynina, Nemov) as just. Readers' comments are another matter -- 'Robot-like negress', 'Why didn't the US fall apart in '91 instead of us' etc. :-).

EDIT: I've watched the vault. The pundits declared Maroney's silver a disgrace, and I'm inclined to agree.

gothicangel
08-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Holy Crap. Andy Murray appears to be giving Federer tennis master-class!

*Go Andy, Go Andy. :D

mirandashell
08-05-2012, 06:34 PM
The coverage is quite comprehensive and, er, calm (although the Minister for Sport promises to draw 'hard conclusions' after the Games). As for gymnastics -- Douglas winning the all-around title has been accepted by the journos and the old-timers (Latynina, Nemov) as just. Readers' comments are another matter -- 'Robot-like negress', 'Why didn't the US fall apart in '91 instead of us' etc. :-).

EDIT: I've watched the vault. The pundits declared Maroney's silver a disgrace, and I'm inclined to agree.

So am I, to be honest. You shouldn't get a medal for sitting on your ass. But that's how the scoring works in gymnastics. It was because she got her feet down a split second before.

I was proud of the Dominican girl for going for that impossible vault. I would have loved to have seen her land.

mirandashell
08-05-2012, 06:35 PM
Holy Crap. Andy Murray appears to be giving Federer tennis master-class!

*Go Andy, Go Andy. :D

It's a bit mad....

Izhitsa
08-05-2012, 07:00 PM
... But that's how the scoring works in gymnastics. It was because she got her feet down a split second before.

A fuming pundit wants to have a talk with President of the Women's Artistic Gymnastics Technical Committee (and her colleague from the olden days) Nellie Kim about that.

mirandashell
08-05-2012, 07:20 PM
I'm not at all surprised. It's never seemed right to me either. Maybe more penalties for sitting would solve it?

ETA: Who is the pundit? Would that be Olga?

To go to the men for a second: Bad luck and well done to Louis Smith! Superb attempt. That Kristan Berki is the bane of Lewis' life!

And very well done to Max Whitlock! A bronze is fantastic!

scarletpeaches
08-05-2012, 07:29 PM
I've already seen fuckwits on Twitter saying Federer lost on purpose because he didn't want to beat Murray twice on the same court within a month.

Oh yeah, right. Federer, not wanting to beat an opponent? Suuuuure.

Izhitsa
08-05-2012, 07:46 PM
ETA: Who is the pundit? Would that be Olga?
Perhaps; perhaps not. :-) I haven't heard the commentators being announced, and I'm incredibly bad at recognizing voices.

mirandashell
08-05-2012, 07:47 PM
I'm trying to think of who else it could be.....

Olga is here in London so I'm guessing it's her.

maxmordon
08-05-2012, 07:54 PM
We won a gold by fencing, we're so proud. This is our second gold medal... ever.

mirandashell
08-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Anyone watching the women's boxing? It's good stuff.

I just watched a middle weight match between Nigera and (I think) Azjerbizan (sp). The Nigeran had little technique but she does have a swinging 'up from Alabama' right hook that will take her opponent's head off if it connects!

mirandashell
08-05-2012, 07:56 PM
We won a gold by fencing, we're so proud. This is our second gold medal... ever.

Nice one!

gothicangel
08-05-2012, 08:00 PM
I've already seen fuckwits on Twitter saying Federer lost on purpose because he didn't want to beat Murray twice on the same court within a month.

Oh yeah, right. Federer, not wanting to beat an opponent? Suuuuure.

:roll:

Honestly, I've never seen Federer hit the net and miss the line like that. Quite simply it was because Murray wouldn't let him. :)

scarletpeaches
08-05-2012, 08:03 PM

Honestly, I've never seen Federer hit the net and miss the line like that. Quite simply it was because Murray wouldn't let him. :)
Not kidding; it wasn't even sarcasm. I've seen tweets alleging it was gentlemanly on the part of Federer.

Never mind the stats that say Murray's winning in their head-to-head ratio. Don't think he's ever beaten him on grass before. Not sure.

But Olympic gold fir the boy fae just up the road fae me? Not bad. Not bad at all.

gothicangel
08-05-2012, 08:37 PM
Not kidding; it wasn't even sarcasm. I've seen tweets alleging it was gentlemanly on the part of Federer.

Never mind the stats that say Murray's winning in their head-to-head ratio. Don't think he's ever beaten him on grass before. Not sure.

But Olympic gold fir the boy fae just up the road fae me? Not bad. Not bad at all.

Yep, there are some serious sour-grapes out there. I think the look on Federer's face said it all.

Also chuffed for Del Potro for wiping the smirk of Djokovic's face too.

mirandashell
08-05-2012, 08:43 PM
Oh lor.... Whoo whoo is playing....

mirandashell
08-05-2012, 09:27 PM
The coverage is quite comprehensive and, er, calm (although the Minister for Sport promises to draw 'hard conclusions' after the Games).

I bet they are not happy about you being behind Kazakhstan in the medal table!

Priene
08-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Went to London to see the marathon. It rained like a bastard. Everyone was cheering on the Brits, the Irish and the Timorese woman in 106th place. Then it rained some more. Somewhere around the 1 hour mark, I started to evolve gills.

mirandashell
08-05-2012, 10:58 PM
That shower did look heavy this morning!

And a bit controversial but I am so glad that Dwayne Chambers didn't get in the 100m final. He shouldn't even be in the team, imo.

gothicangel
08-05-2012, 11:35 PM
Went to London to see the marathon. It rained like a bastard.

We had thunder and lightning in Newcastle during the men's tennis. I said to my Mam, 'I think the gods are up to something, maybe the cosmos has shifted.' ;)

Pity about the mixed-doubles. But I think a gold and silver deserves some bubbly. :)

IAMWRITER
08-05-2012, 11:42 PM
Looking forward to the 100m tonight.

Caught some of the marathon and the lovely British weather. And Andy winning. Really happy for him after the whole Wimbledon event.
So far I'm really enjoying the olympics - and I said that I wouldn't watch it!

IAMWRITER
08-05-2012, 11:51 PM
Oscar Pistoris is such an inspiring athlete.

mirandashell
08-06-2012, 12:05 AM
Yes, he is. And it's nice to see the respect the other athletes have for him.

And he wouldn't have come last if he hadn't had such a bad start.

Alessandra Kelley
08-06-2012, 12:14 AM

Yay for Venezuela!

mirandashell
08-06-2012, 12:15 AM
Christine! Stop charging through so late!

But well done on the silver!

mirandashell
08-06-2012, 12:59 AM
My god! USAIN BOLT!

That was one heck of a race!

Apart from Asafa Powell, every runner ran faster than ever before in their position. The Dutch guy must have had the time of his life!

And it just lifts my heart to see Usain run. It really does. It's a joy to watch him.

mirandashell
08-06-2012, 01:02 AM
And I do feel for Asafa. He seemed much more chilled out and enjoying it and to pull a muscle....

lastlittlebird
08-06-2012, 01:27 AM
Yep, we're in a state of shock here. And what makes it worst of all is that the KIWIS are beating us.

Not that we're enjoying it or anything.... :D

mirandashell
08-06-2012, 01:28 AM
Of course you're not.....

LOL!

scarletpeaches
08-06-2012, 02:26 AM
Okay, I've been holding this in all through the motherFUDGECAKE Olympics. I can't do it any longer.

MEDAL IS NOT A VERB.

mirandashell
08-06-2012, 02:41 AM

The hockey, man. What happened in the hockey?

:tongue:ROFL:

lastlittlebird
08-06-2012, 04:13 AM
The hockey, man. What happened in the hockey?

:tongue:ROFL:

I know, right? Our girls are awesome :)

IAMWRITER
08-06-2012, 04:39 AM
Usain was incredible. Just the way he powered ahead...wow!

That Yohan Blake was pretty awesome too.

dolores haze
08-06-2012, 05:07 AM
I loathe beach volleyball. NBC seems to be determined to show every single minute of it and I'm forced to sit through it waiting for a few measly snippets of track and field. Excuse me while I go punch NBC in the nose.
*clenches fist*

frimble3
08-06-2012, 06:56 AM
Congratulations! It's always nice when a country that doesn't have a huge population, or giant sports-specific budget wins! And wins gold!

frimble3
08-06-2012, 07:10 AM
Yes, he is. And it's nice to see the respect the other athletes have for him.

And he wouldn't have come last if he hadn't had such a bad start.
In one way, it's a good result. He got to compete, proved he could do it, but if he had won, or done really well, it would have added weight to the claims that his carbon-fiber blades gave him an advantage. This way, he can come back and try again, and others can follow.

fredXgeorge
08-06-2012, 10:30 AM
I'm guessing that afterwards there will be some serious discussion about what to do about it in time for the next Games.

Being beaten by us is bad enough but to be beaten by the Kiwis........

What's happening with the swimming? Will there be changes in the coaching set-up?
I honestly don't think anyone knows what's going to happen. Everyone's running around like chickens with their heads cut off. The sports people are blaming the government, government are blaming the sports people, media are blaming the athletes. It's a mess. I assume there'll be some firing, just don't know who yet!

Well, see the real reason is that we thought we'd be nice and give you ONE Olympics, cos we felt bad ... yeah, that's it :poke:

mirandashell
08-06-2012, 02:35 PM
I know, right? Our girls are awesome :)

Actually, I was referring to the Aussie men being 3-nil up and our boys coming back to level it.....

But yeah, your girls were awesome!

Priene
08-06-2012, 03:21 PM
So a moron threw a bottle (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19138976) at the 100m runners last night. And a volunteer told me yesterday that they had to remove four boxes of tacks thrown on the cycle course last week.

robeiae
08-06-2012, 03:39 PM
I fear the tack stuff--even though it's hardly original--was likely prompted by the tacks at the Tour de France.

I can imagine some ass thinking "Wow, look at all those flat tires! I'm gonna do that at the Olympics!"

mirandashell
08-06-2012, 04:16 PM
The eejit that threw the bottle was sat next to a judoko. As he found out when he was wrestled to the floor and then arrested....

Priene
08-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Algeria's Taoufik Makhloufi has been thrown out (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19152117) of the Olympics for 'not trying' in the 800m.

robeiae
08-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Ridiculous, imo.

This story (http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/06/us-oly-athl-atm800-r1-day10-makhloufi-idUSBRE8750L320120806) cites some non-punished actions I had not heard about:

French rider Mickael Bourgain quit the cycling road race after just a few kilometers as planned on the first weekend of the Games having been forced to take part in order to compete in his favored keirin track event.

Last Thursday, teenage cyclist Philip Hindes appeared to admit he deliberately crashed in cycling's team sprint event to ensure Britain were handed a restart because they set off badly.

zahra
08-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Was that in the Clay Pigeon? I watched that. He was very cool until the last shot.

No, it was the rowing. Coxless 4, it was called, rather dirtily. He is a man who does not like to lose, so he's a happy little coxless right now.

Izhitsa
08-06-2012, 09:26 PM
I'm trying to think of who else it could be.....

Olga is here in London so I'm guessing it's her.

Turns out it was Lidiya Ivanova, an old-timer (Melbourne and Rome gold).

lastlittlebird
08-06-2012, 10:50 PM
Well, see the real reason is that we thought we'd be nice and give you ONE Olympics, cos we felt bad ... yeah, that's it :poke:

Awww, how nice of you guys :P

lastlittlebird
08-06-2012, 10:56 PM
Actually, I was referring to the Aussie men being 3-nil up and our boys coming back to level it.....

But yeah, your girls were awesome!

Ahhh... to be honest I am a bit guilty of mostly only following what's happening with the Kiwis. And to the more interesting (to me) contenders like the women competing for Saudi.
I have no excuse, we've got something like 10 channels playing the Olympics.
Congratz to your team (and commiserations to the Aussies!)

mirandashell
08-07-2012, 12:02 AM
Turns out it was Lidiya Ivanova, an old-timer (Melbourne and Rome gold).

Ah! She was a bit before my time.

mirandashell
08-07-2012, 12:16 AM
There is one hell of a game of football going on between USA and Canada.....

mirandashell
08-07-2012, 01:18 AM
Football spoiler:

Canada were robbed! Robbed with a capital ROBBED! That was in no way a penalty for the third US goal. What the fuck was the ref thinking? It was ball to hand. You can't get out of the way when the ball is blasted at you and she had her arm tucked in. Robbed. Absolutely.

Kewii
08-07-2012, 01:29 AM
My heart is a little broken right now over the football game. I have no words :(

mirandashell
08-07-2012, 01:36 AM
I'm not surprised. I'm a neutral and I'm fuming!

Xelebes
08-07-2012, 04:42 AM
Football spoiler:

Canada were robbed! Robbed with a capital ROBBED! That was in no way a penalty for the third US goal. What the fuck was the ref thinking? It was ball to hand. You can't get out of the way when the ball is blasted at you and she had her arm tucked in. Robbed. Absolutely.

Make that the 24th straight game Canada has lost to the US. *sigh*

rugcat
08-07-2012, 04:53 AM
Football spoiler:
Disagree.

It was a borderline call, to be sure, and hard luck, but I've seen the same thing given more than once in the EPL.

But good lord, what a game!

Xelebes
08-07-2012, 05:06 AM
Caught this while having lunch yesterday: Tatiana Kashirina snatching 151 kg (333.6 lbs.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3H5wPjpIks

dolores haze
08-07-2012, 05:29 AM
Gosh, I'm glad you're all enjoying the Olympics. NBC is continuing its marathon volleyball coverage. It's the most important sport at the games apparently. My kids are making me put lots and lots of money in the swear jar.

frimble3
08-07-2012, 08:35 AM
Disagree.

It was a borderline call, to be sure, and hard luck, but I've seen the same thing given more than once in the EPL.

But good lord, what a game!
At least Canada's women's team got into the Olympics. Better than the men's side did.

rugcat
08-07-2012, 08:39 AM
At least Canada's women's team got into the Olympics. Better than the men's side did.Same goes for the US.

And anyway, from a neutral football standpoint, it was an incredible game for both sides.

Priene
08-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Yorkshire is now tenth (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/9458578/Yorkshire-athletes-propel-Great-Britain-up-the-medal-table-at-London-2012-Olympics.html) in the medals table.

Kaiser-Kun
08-07-2012, 10:07 PM
Yay, Mexico passed to the soccer finals! :D

mirandashell
08-07-2012, 10:09 PM
Good goals in the second half!

If it is Brasil in the final, how do you reckon your boys will do?

Kaiser-Kun
08-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Hard to say. Once Mexico gets serious, it makes it really difficult to win. Mexico defeated Brazil several years ago in the America Cup, but we're all pessimistic.

mirandashell
08-07-2012, 11:39 PM
Fingers crossed!

I'm watching the high jump and the Russian has this sewn up, I reckon.

I love Kynard, the American, though! Man who shouts at stick!

mirandashell
08-08-2012, 12:04 AM
Hey! The Aussies finally won something!

DreamWeaver
08-08-2012, 08:23 AM
100M hurdles? That was one heck of a race!

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
08-08-2012, 12:32 PM
Question to the Brits in the room: I thought Daniel Thomas was making a very interesting suggestion (http://www.dailydot.com/news/tom-daley-welsh-soccer-player-twitter-arrest/), was I wrong?

Bonus Question: Is Daly the son of actor Rupert Graves?

mirandashell
08-08-2012, 03:07 PM
100M hurdles? That was one heck of a race!

It was a fantastic race.

mirandashell
08-08-2012, 03:09 PM
Johnny, what exactly are you asking? The suggestion that someone else used his phone? It's possible if he left it lying around. Some eejit might have thought it would be funny to get him arrested and in danger of losing his job.....

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
08-08-2012, 04:24 PM
Johnny, what exactly are you asking? The suggestion that someone else used his phone? It's possible if he left it lying around. Some eejit might have thought it would be funny to get him arrested and in danger of losing his job.....No I was riffing on the idea that the two divers would make a cute couple, and that the homophobe footballer felt the same way and was simply expressing himself poorly rather than offering up an ugly slur (which of course is belied by his hashtag).

Also, I am asking if Daly is Graves' son cos he looks like him!

Mostly tho I am poking fun at the homophobe.

mirandashell
08-08-2012, 04:28 PM
Ah ok.

Stiger05
08-08-2012, 11:17 PM
The women's gymnastics was intense last night. I really do think Ali Raisman did a better job than the Ukrainian (I can't remember her name), but wow, what drama!

mirandashell
08-08-2012, 11:19 PM
Ukranian? You mean Catalina Ponova?

Stiger05
08-09-2012, 12:00 AM
Yes.

She did fantastic on the beam during the team finals. She didn't look so great during the individuals though. I thought Ali looked better, although I felt really bad for Catalina. It was pretty much the same thing that happened to Ali in the all-arounds.

mirandashell
08-09-2012, 12:04 AM
Catalina is Romanian. And I'm glad she got a medal because they have really struggled to get funding the last few years. It's amazing the team got as far as it did.

Stiger05
08-09-2012, 12:10 AM
Ah, yes, Romanian. I knew that. *face palm* It's been one of those days...

I'm definitely glad she got silver on floor. Her routine was amazing!

mirandashell
08-09-2012, 12:12 AM
I love to watch her. Such elegance.

dolores haze
08-09-2012, 12:20 AM
I thought the Romanian was better than the American. The men's high bar competition was great. The stuff they were doing is INSANE!

mirandashell
08-09-2012, 12:27 AM
I have to agree with you but it's purely a personal choice. I just much prefer the classical style of the East Europeans to the power-based work of the Americans.

And yes, that was the best high-bar I've ever seen! I felt sorry for the last two gymnasts cos there was no way they could top the three before them!

dolores haze
08-09-2012, 07:34 AM
NBC's Olympic coverage tonight consists of (of course) volleyball, a few minutes on the decathlon and the dude from Friend's new TV show. Seriously. They're showing a sitcom!

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
08-09-2012, 12:14 PM
NBC's Olympic coverage tonight consists of (of course) volleyball, a few minutes on the decathlon and the dude from Friend's new TV show. Seriously. They're showing a sitcom!
But it wasn't a bad sitcom...!

I do not understand the fascination of beach volleyball. I assume it is some sort of strange mixture of our national insistance on objectifying women and the fact that two of our teams were in the final (but how did we know that all week?).

But I've given up on trying to fathom NBC's mindset. The decathalon coverage was a joke...In the fine tradition of men's gymnastics. The network must either have polled some bizarre focus group of 18-35 yo males or crunched numbers from four years ago to decide what sports were most worth coverage, but if decathalon and men's gymnastics were so low on the list of priorities, why not run them at night or on a secondary channel and actually show them?

Lidiya
08-09-2012, 12:40 PM
Well, Bulgaria won 3-0 to German yesterday! Yay!

And, have you people noticed the pyramids on the stadium? *me being an illuminati conspiracy freak*

mirandashell
08-09-2012, 03:07 PM
What? I came this close to posting the result of the women's 200m final straight after the race. Until I thought 'oh no, NBC won't have shown it yet. I'll wait.'

And they didn't show it anyway? Pfft.

Anyway.... well done Alyson Felix. I love to watch you run.

Stiger05
08-09-2012, 05:24 PM
The decathlon coverage was a joke. It was the very last thing. After all the interviews and the daily medal count, etc when they're wrapping things up.

It would have been nice to actually have seen the events instead of a recap. I get they're spread out over the day, but they could have shown at least something!

They better show some of the Pentathlon!!

Kewii
08-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Women's soccer spoiler:

SOOOOO Excited!!!!! I'm glad Canada could come through for the bronze. And our coach is a class act--admitted France outplayed them in large portions of the game, but they couldn't finish and that was the difference.

And extra footnote for me...I used to play against the girl who scored the game winner, so that's kind of cool :)

mirandashell
08-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Well, Bulgaria won 3-0 to German yesterday! Yay!

At which sport?

Snowstorm
08-09-2012, 06:28 PM
I get that NBC has limited time to show a huge amount of competition, but for crying out loud, they can skip the interviews and the silly little reporting segments and the medal counts. Show the competition NBC!

mirandashell
08-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Do NBC not have live internet feeds?

Stiger05
08-09-2012, 09:03 PM
I get that NBC has limited time to show a huge amount of competition, but for crying out loud, they can skip the interviews and the silly little reporting segments and the medal counts. Show the competition NBC!

I like the final medal count. :gone:

The interviews and side stories, etc can go though. I fast-forward through them anyway. I get personalizing the athletes some, but every athlete doesn't need a sob story. I love James Bond, but did we really need a long segment on him in the middle of events?

People aren't watching the Olympics for the stories, NBC. Amazingly, they're watching for the competition. Ugh.

mirandashell
08-09-2012, 11:21 PM
David Rudisha! You are magnificent!

mirandashell
08-10-2012, 12:55 AM
Well done, Jamaica! Great race.

mirandashell
08-10-2012, 12:55 AM
And well done to Nicola Adams and Katy Taylor!

mirandashell
08-10-2012, 01:34 AM
And well done to Jade Jones!

Tell you something, the women are showing the men how to do it in the fighting arts!

lastlittlebird
08-10-2012, 02:25 AM
This is definitely the year for female athletes :)

mirandashell
08-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Oh there you are! Starting to think I was all on me lonesome.......

DreamWeaver
08-10-2012, 04:31 PM
I get busy watching and forget to post :D. I think BMX is my summer equivalent of curling. Totally different from anything I've ever watched or been a fan of, but fascinating in the Olympics.

My family gets a good laugh out of me yelling at the runners during the long distance events. I get very into it ;). Looking forward to the men's marathon on Sunday.

Stiger05
08-10-2012, 08:04 PM
For all my big talk about not needing the sob stories, I cried when David Rudisha won.

Humble upbringing + Coach who'd never coached + Dirt track + Olympic legacy = Tear Jerker. Damn you Olympics!!

lastlittlebird
08-11-2012, 12:31 AM
Hurray! woke up to another gold and a silver for NZ... looks like UK managed to soundly take out our girls in the hockey though.

Oh well, rematch in Rio :)

mirandashell
08-11-2012, 12:43 AM
Your girls looked like they hadn't picked themselves from losing the shootout in the last game.

mirandashell
08-11-2012, 01:20 AM
Well done to Lutalo Muhammed in the Tae Kwon Do. Considering all the crap he's been through before the Olympics, he did well to get a bronze.

And he's got one hell of an axe kick on him!

Kaiser-Kun
08-11-2012, 07:30 PM
What happened to Brazil? Mexico's owning the soccer finals...

mirandashell
08-11-2012, 07:34 PM
Shhh..... don't celebrate yet. The gods of football might be listening......

mirandashell
08-11-2012, 07:48 PM
There you go! They are always listening.....

DreamWeaver
08-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Ole! :D

mirandashell
08-11-2012, 09:32 PM
I know! Don't know what is going on with Brasil. But well played Mexico!

I was waiting for Kaiser to post but he's probably celebrating somewhere....

LOL!

Kaiser-Kun
08-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Well I never thought I'd live to see the day. National party and all the other athletes are now officially ignored.

mirandashell
08-11-2012, 10:51 PM
Mo Farrah! You beauty!

Lord, he had me worried for a minute! But that was fantastic!

mirandashell
08-11-2012, 10:51 PM
Well I never thought I'd live to see the day. National party and all the other athletes are now officially ignored.

Shouldn't you be running around waving a flag and jumping up and down?

firedrake
08-11-2012, 10:52 PM
Mo Farrah! You beauty!

Lord, he had me worried for a minute! But that was fantastic!

I have a sore throat now from shouting him home. Brilliant. :D

mirandashell
08-11-2012, 11:08 PM
What happened to Caster Semanya? Inexperience I guess.

Kaiser-Kun
08-11-2012, 11:52 PM
Shouldn't you be running around waving a flag and jumping up and down?

Ew, no. I'm doing my job as a responsible citizen and complaining in the internet about how much is spent in sport rather than curing cancer or something.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
08-12-2012, 12:39 PM
The men's platform diving was exciting. I was so happy for Tom Daly--what a lot of struggling he did to get his bronze. I was very very sad over my poor Matty tho--I hope he pulls everything together to get to Rio. Once again judged events leave me fuming and wondering what it is the judges get to see that I don't!

Bufty
08-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Only half-way through the Mountain Bike race. I'm knackered... and I'm only spectating from my armchair!

mirandashell
08-12-2012, 05:57 PM
I'm watching the boxing.

mirandashell
08-12-2012, 05:58 PM
The men's marathon was pretty good as well. Really pleased for the winner.

Izhitsa
08-12-2012, 07:15 PM
What happened to Caster Semanya? Inexperience I guess.

More like Savinova happened. :-) We've done good over the past few days.

Bufty
08-13-2012, 02:27 PM
Thank you, BBC. 16 days of 24/7 coverage and not a commercial break in sight.

lastlittlebird
08-13-2012, 11:49 PM
We got an extra gold. The women's shotput champion was found to be on steroids.
To be honest, I wish we had handled coming in silver better in the first place.
But yay, 6 golds :)

waylander
08-14-2012, 02:14 AM
So after spending the last year telling us what a shambles the Olympics could be, the UK media has decided it all went rather well and we can be proud of ourselves.
What does the rest of the world think? Was it a good Olympics?

DreamWeaver
08-14-2012, 08:23 AM
I thought the Olympics themselves were beyond awesome--I'd be close to "best ever" as far as venues, organization, and knowing when to stick with tradition and when to break with it.

The closing ceremonies lost me a bit. But that's a minor detail :D.

DreamWeaver
08-14-2012, 08:24 AM
The men's marathon was pretty good as well. Really pleased for the winner.I kept thinking he was struggling behind in third and the Kenyans were going to drop him. Did he ever prove me wrong!

lastlittlebird
08-14-2012, 12:09 PM
It looked pretty good from here... I liked all the little touches, like the sprinklers they had set up for outdoor runners.
I also loved that any time there was running in public, they seemed to have people lining the course.

Of course, it would look all glossy from our perspectives though... we're watching through a TV screen.

The305itself
09-15-2012, 12:54 AM
I was watching fencing late at night, because nothing else was on, and I though it was going to be boring as fudge, but I ended up watching for like 2 hours straight and I was getting so into it!

bilbo1975
01-05-2013, 08:39 AM
Thank you, BBC. 16 days of 24/7 coverage and not a commercial break in sight.

Thank you? I would say "I've had it with the BBC!" lol!
I don't think the Olympics is as well-loved and enjoyed by the world as the media and some of us like to think.

The Olympics is only one of the most viewed sporting events because it's rammed down everybody's throat, broadcasting on almost every channel in the world.

One can hardly get away from it once it gets a foothold. I think we just get tired of trying to avoid it, so we submit to the pressure and leave it on the television.

BrumBall
01-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Bilbo, the Olympics is one of the most viewed events because, despite what you want to think, people enjoy watching them. 'Broadcasting on almost every channel in the world' is complete bollocks, as I suspect you probably know. In Britain only the BBC broadcasted it, so you had every other channel in the country to watch, Olympics free.

If you 'submitted to the pressure' then you must be pretty weak willed. Most people would just turn over or do something else.

PS, an over rated player signing for an average team isn't 'important and significant' to anyone apart from West Ham fans, despite the Cockney press making it out to be the signing of the century :)