Olympics 2012

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't watched the archery. I have hours recorded so far, so I imagine I'll get to it. Been watching swimming and gymnastics so far. Phelps dethroned! Whoah!

And the Men's gymnastic's team looks pretty solid this year. Go Great Britain, too!

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
I've been enjoying the gymnastics trials. I was surprised that there are two gymnasts in their late thirties competing. Holy wow!

I watched female weightlifting for the very first time time yesterday. The ladies were about 100 lbs of solid muscle lifting more than twice their own body weight. Holy wow again!

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I'm going to watch the gymnastic trials on catch up. Archery spoiler: Well done Korea. Won it on the last arrow!

I like watching the weight lifting as well. Amazingly strong, some of them.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I saw the man from Bulgaria in the men's gymnastics. Pretty amazing! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the German gymnast that injured his ankle during a bad vault landing. He's hanging in there.

Women's qualifying tonight. I'll be recording that and FF'ing through a lot. I'm already sick of the commercials. :)

I also caught some of the female weightlifting. Holy cow. I just cannot imagine not only the strength required, but the balance.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
OMG!

Spoiler: Spain are out! Beaten one-nil by Honduras. And they damn well deserved it because of their behaviour. Man, they can unsporting!

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Watched the men's beach volleyball and was surprising enthralled. Saw some archery and was amazed - I did archery once and sucked at it. Also looking forwad to the wrestling too.

But though I'm a big football fan, I'm not too interested.

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, synchronized diving??? I'd never seen that before. So cool!

Also, agreed as to enough commercials already! Reminds me why I usually just watch movies.

But this one was a major tear jerker.....: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRaQRbAxXaA

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I loved watching the synchronized diving. I've always been a diving fan (used to dive back in the day myself), but this new synchronized deal is hella fun.

U.S. Girls did good for gymnastics qualifying (thought heartbreaking to see how it ended all the same).

Men's relay, wow. So close!

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
I agree, the synchronized diving was pretty interesting. One thing I love about the Olympics is watching the under-represented sports like archery and fencing.

Men's relay was exciting. Would have been more exciting if Twitter hadn't spoiled it for me.

US Women's gymnastics, what a surprise! Spoiler: I felt back for the one chick, Jordyn, for not making it to the all-arounds, but then again, nothing kept her out but herself and the other girl, Aly, scored better, so she deserves to compete. The new rules suck, but at least the chick already has a world title. I thought it wasn't fair to the girls who made it that the spotlight kept being put on Jordyn, and it wasn't fair to Jordyn that her crying-dreams dashed face will be replayed every time it's mentioned now. End Spoiler.

I'm looking forward to the Men's and Women's Gymnastics finals, and I'm excited about the Track and Field events starting!!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Huge result for Britain's Men's gymnastics team!

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Ok. There is about to be a massive spoiler if you haven't seen the men's gymnastics. And I can't white it out. So if you don't want to know, go away and come back later.

WE WON A BRONZE! A bloody bronze! Unbelievable!

:hooray::snoopy::Thumbs::banana::Jump::e2moon:

We beat the Russians, the Germans, the Americans......

I'm going for a lie down. My poor old heart can't stand it!

dolores haze

Registered
Reaction score
I love, love, love the gymnastics. My only complaint is that the US seems to be the only team competing. What's that you say? There are other teams? Hmm. I guess someone should tell NBC that.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
My favourite is the fencing. I've been watching every single match on the dedicated channel the BBC has devoted to it - the first time I've caught any Olympic fencing in my life. There was a sad point tonight, with a Korean fencer losing out on a place in the women's epee final due to human error in the time keeping of the match, which stirred up a lot of emotion in the arena. It took over an hour for the result to be finalised after the Korean coach officially protested it, during which the Korean fencer had to sit alone on the piste (leaving would mean that she accepted the referee's decision). It was a frustrating and rather polarising incident, which will no doubt lead to changes in both the time-keeping and the decision-making process. I was very annoyed by one of our commentators - not only did he have a clear bias in favour of the Korean fencer after that, but he talked about her as if she was a fragile little flower. Grr.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I wish they would air some equestrian events.
OLN(Outdoor Life Network) is showing the cross-country phase of the 3-day-eventing today. (Dressage was apparently yesterday) If you don't get OLN, or missed it due to time-shifting, you might find it on-line.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, as an American....

I'm kinda bummed about the men's gymnastics team. What was that? They completely choked. I truly feel bad for these guys. But.....

Holy cow, Great Britain! That made it all worthwhile to watch the event. Good on them.

dolores haze

Registered
Reaction score
My husband has officially declared his favorite moment of these Olympics. While watching the the final results of the men's team gymnastics, my jaw apparently dropped open and hung there for approximately thirty seconds. A perfect ten of amazement. That event was freakin' epic!