Life in France

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
Looking for some quick answers to questions about life in France. Not in some other era, but today. Now. The present. They probably seem ridiculous, but still...

1. What is the form of a mailing address? This is for a nice house in what was once a farming village but is now a commune outside a city very much like Lyons.
  2. Is it terribly odd, or even possible, to have the equivalent of a Post Office Box in such a place? We're talking about a place on the city outskirts with a population somewhere around one thousand. If so, what are they called?
  3. Can you pretty much get around via mass transit? Am I right in thinking that going from Lyon to LaHavre you'd go by train but to visit a village several miles from Lyons you'd go by bus?
  4. What are the train and bus systems called?
Thanks in advance!

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm no expert on France but:

1: This should give you an idea of the address format

2 Postboxes are, the best of my knowledge, as common as here in Britain, that is, about 1 box servicing about ten streets or so, this link has a bit more info.

3. France has a good public transport, but I've only used it in the cities. There is a thread on Skyscrapercity forum that will give you a flavour for French metro systems.

4. Metro systems vary by city region but the publicly own national rail operator is SNCF. Someone else might be able to give you the French colloquialism, but I'd just call it the train.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I was in Lyon earlier this year, there are good bus services to outlying villages.
France has invested heavily in railways, they have the TGV (train grand vitesse) linking major cities.