PDA

View Full Version : Literary Short Story Beta Reader Wanted

CatherineHall
07-29-2012, 05:23 AM
Hello AW,

I am new to fiction writing. Recently, I wrote my very first story. I've written poetry and articles for my blog but never fiction before now.

I would love a beta reader to give me their general impression of the story. Please, if you read the story, share whatever thoughts you have with me (brief or a bit more than brief). I do not wish to have a line-by-line dissection of my precious little story (not at this point in my fiction venture). I'm afraid friends and family will say nice things about it to be nice. I want someone's honest impression though.

My story is very short, 556 words. It's my goal, actually, to keep my stories as short as possible. I would be happy to return the service if you have short, literary fiction for which you do not want more than only a general impression. I'm not qualified to do much more than that...

I'm hoping several readers will be interested. The higher the number, the higher the chance I'll get a reader who enjoys the story.:)

PM me for details...thanks....

Bufty
08-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Why not post your story in the appropriate Share-Your-Work Forum - it's password protected against roving google and other bots, it's free and you'll get honest replies.

I hope it's not the 'precious' that has directed you here instead of to the Share-Your-Work Forum.

KellyAssauer
08-03-2012, 03:22 PM
At 556 words... it would be a perfect first post in the Literary section of AW's Share Your Work!! - and we'd be darn glad to have you!

The Literary Share Your Work Area can be found: here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74). (password: vista) And you can read right now pieces and critiques offered by others before you decide to post.

The writers there are -for the most part- always polite, respectful and a great bunch to deal with - and have excellent suggestions!

I second Bufty's idea!

*If you do decide to share in the SYW, please make sure the story text is in black and in the default veranda font - this isn't to stifle creativity! - It's the one font we've found over many years that shows up best on all the different computers, browsers, screens and personal monitor settings - and you want people to read it, right?

:)

CatherineHall
08-03-2012, 03:40 PM
At 556 words... it would be a perfect first post in the Literary section of AW's Share Your Work!! - and we'd be darn glad to have you!

Thank you, Kelly. I posted here because someone recommended it when I first joined AW. Since then, I discovered the Polished and Ready thread in the Flash SYW where I've been offering comments on other people's work before posting my own. After I discovered the SYW area, I requested this thread be deleted, but the moderator hasn't responded to me. When I open the edit function, I don't see an option to delete....

KellyAssauer
08-03-2012, 04:06 PM
...After I discovered the SYW area, I requested this thread be deleted, but the moderator hasn't responded to me. When I open the edit function, I don't see an option to delete....

Catherine!

Always happy to help!!

I will try to get JVC or Sophia's attention and maybe they can simply move the post over to LiterarySYW? If that sounds okay to you?

Do bear with us, it's an all volunteer group when it comes to Mods and sometimes life happens to the best of us. =)

Welcome to AW!
Now lets see what I can do to make you happier!

CatherineHall
08-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Catherine!

Always happy to help!!

I will try to get JVC or Sophia's attention and maybe they can simply move the post over to LiterarySYW? If that sounds okay to you?

Do bear with us, it's an all volunteer group when it comes to Mods and sometimes life happens to the best of us. =)

Welcome to AW!
Now lets see what I can do to make you happier!

That all sounds very helpful. I appreciate it, thx:)

Haggis
08-03-2012, 05:08 PM
That all sounds very helpful. I appreciate it, thx:)
Hi, Catherine. Just confirming that you want your thread moved. Is that correct?

CatherineHall
08-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Hi, Catherine. Just confirming that you want your thread moved. Is that correct?

I would prefer to have it deleted. If that's not possible, then moving it is fine if this isn't the right spot for it.

Haggis
08-03-2012, 05:42 PM
Tell you what. We don't delete threads (largely because they might be of some help to other people), but what I can do is lock this one and we can both watch it sink 'til it goes away. You can go ahead and post your piece in Literary SYW, if you so chose, and it all should be good.

I'm going to go ahead and lock this now. If you'd like it moved instead, give me a holler via pm and I'll do that. I'll also check with the room mods to see if they're in agreement.

Thanks.

Haggis