Two 'lame' ideas = one awesome story?

Lycoplax

Registered
Reaction score
Wikipedia said:
The inspiration for the [Codex Alera] series came from a bet Jim was challenged to while a member of the Delray Online Writer’s Workshop. The challenger bet that Jim could not write a good story based on a lame idea, and Jim countered that he could do it using two lame ideas of the challenger’s choosing. The “lame” ideas given were “Lost Roman Legion", and “Pokémon

So, I love me some Codex Alera, and that gave me an idea. I've been trying to exercise myself with some different writing, but I haven't come up with anything of substance. So I thought, hey, it could be fun to do something like this, combining two ideas, lame or otherwise, and trying to make at least a decent story out of them.

...But where to find such ideas?

Anyone interested in brainstorming some random bits with me and puzzling them together into something readable?

iLion

Why do I say these things?
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvsQ9hYKq7c
Sure! Should these lame ideas be totally disparate with no obvious connections? Or does that even matter? How about something like...

A pasty white, 90-pound weakling nerd guy with taped glasses, sitting in his tidy whities and chatting online using a bleeding Thor avatar and the name Great-Hammer-of-Death!!

and

An arrogant cop writing a ticket to an elderly woman driver for not turning off her turn signal after changing lanes.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Go to tvtropes.org, and in the top right corner click the 'random' button. Some of them only apply to tv or manga, or only apply to story format or are offensive cliches, so skip those. OK, I got

'America Saves the Day' and 'Perky Female Minion [of a villain]'. That should do.

Or how bout 'Prehistoric Monster' and 'Undercover Model' (a cop or spy pretending to be a model). GENIUS I tell you!

'Just Add Pirates' (using pirates in an inappropriate setting, such as a mall), and a 'Snipe Hunt' (sending child or naive person to find something that doesn't exist).

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
Clumsy superhero and a karaoke contest at the county fair. ^_^
Or a cat that saves other cats from trees and local house-husband runs for mayor.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
A grizzled veteran gladiator of the Coliseum and the receptionist for the Ghostbusters.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
A home improvement centre, toilet salesman with bowel cancer (oh the irony!) in search of true love and a year-old tuna salad sandwich.

(Make a story out of THAT, I dares ya!)

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
Physical therapists who don't know anatomy and Olympic dressage riders whose horses have their own private train.