PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Opening Ceremonies

SherryTex
07-28-2012, 06:01 AM
I have a new literary goal, to write a book with a character so distinct that the Olympic Committee designing the Opening Ceremony wants to have a 1000 foot hologram version of her flash dance to cue the confetti cannons and lasers.

Did anyone ever ask...ummm why? the homage to British Health care and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang with a 100 foot Voldemort?

veinglory
07-28-2012, 06:21 AM
Also nice to see the health service, docs and nurses held up as something to celebrate.

Less great, US commentators tittering over people and place names like Bongo and Djibouti.

SherryTex
07-28-2012, 07:08 AM
Agreed, it's like the least prepared people for the Olympics are the color commentators.

They also seem to act as if they are doing their announcements for people who have never seen an Olympics or known about anything or any other countries before now.

third person
07-28-2012, 07:52 AM
They also seem to act as if they are doing their announcements for people who have never......known about anything or any other countries before now.

Yes. Americans. *shrug* Sorry :Shrug:

jvc
07-28-2012, 08:05 AM
I've merged the two olympics threads together, only need the one. I was at work, so missed the opening. Was it any good? Should I watch it on the iplayer or not?

Shadow_Ferret
07-28-2012, 08:41 AM
Horrible. The worst bloody opening ceremony since the clusterf--k that was the France winter games. Boring. Disjointed. Total yawn.

That said, the torch lighting was cool. Everything else, except the athlete introduction was a waste of time.

Toothpaste
07-28-2012, 08:43 AM
They were celebrating the NHS which is something they are proud of, but in particular Great Ormand Street hospital for children which gets all the royalties from peter pan and thus has been able to flourish and do some real good in the world. Since peter pan is so tied with the hospital it was then a logical jump to celebrating children's lit, something the UK also has much to be proud of.

ETA: wow shadow, tell us what you really think ;) . I liked it. It was slow and silly in places, but then the queen had her acting debut and jumped out of a helicopter and Rowan Atkinson was awesome, and the torch was beautiful, so, yeah, I liked it :) .

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
07-28-2012, 11:37 AM
I didn't think it was as bad as Shadow did, but there were some swaths early on that might have been tightened up.

Personally, much like I told a homebuyer friend of mine 10 years ago, it would just be mathematically impossible for things to continue to improve at the current rate (we were talking about home prices, but the same theory applies to Opening Ceremonies). They needed to reset the GLORY factor. That was why I loved the comedic bits--it allowed for a less grandiose spectacle while at the same time being entertaining.

For me it only gets emotional when the torch comes anyway, and that part was handled excellently (in fact, I thought everything after the parade of athletes was great).

ETA: Forgot to rant about the incessant chatter of the NBC hosts (lucky for you those not required to watch it on American television). Then I read this (http://news.yahoo.com/nbc-draws-ire-not-streaming-ceremony-234202997--finance.html):

NBC Sports spokesman Christopher McCloskey said the ceremonies "are complex entertainment spectacles that do not translate well online because they require context, which our award-winning production team will provide for the large prime-time audiences that gather together to watch them."

gothicangel
07-28-2012, 11:40 AM
For me, it felt too middle-class, too London-centric. Where where the celebration of Great Britain? Scotland? Wales? Cornwall? Yes we are great at the arts, but also in science and engineering. I think we missed a chance to remind the world of who we are.

The part I will remember is the memorial for the 7/7 victims.

I get a feeling that Glasgow's Commonwealth Games in 2014, will be far more spectacular.

Toothpaste
07-28-2012, 06:12 PM
Well didn't they have children's choirs sing around all of GB? And there was the industrial revolution, and the guy who invented the Internet. Not saying it was perfect, and don't forget the guy who put it together is deeply entrenched in the arts, but they did try.

Kado
07-28-2012, 06:42 PM
Yes, I also loved the inclusion of the guy who invented the internet (I should use his invention to google his name instead of referring to him as The Guy Who Invented The Internet).^^

As an Aussie who has been living in the UK for a long time, some of the show was lost on me (so the rest of the world must have been utterly baffled). It was certainly very odd in places and some bizarre creative decisions were made, that's for sure, but overall, I thought it was very good.

I really liked the beginning with the industrial revolution and the rings being forged (very Tolkeinesque I thought). And of course the lighting of the torch and the cauldron was breathtaking and beautifully handled. I even liked the birds on bicycles. Oh, and the guard of honour formed by the people who built the stadium was a lovely touch.

I also loved Bond and the Queen (how the heck did they manage to convince her to do that?) and Mr Bean.

Least watchable parts for me was the bizarre tribute to the NHS (who celebrates their national health care system at an Olympic opening ceremony? Mind boggling decision that) and the confusing mish-mash of the 'household'/kids partying/some weird romance over a dropped phone, and the jarring medley of British music.

Anyway, it is worth checking out on the iplayer.

Now back to following the sports - GB have outdone themselves in the team gymnastics today! Well done!

Shakesbear
07-28-2012, 06:49 PM
For me, it felt too middle-class, too London-centric. Where where the celebration of Great Britain? Scotland? Wales? Cornwall? Yes we are great at the arts, but also in science and engineering. I think we missed a chance to remind the world of who we are.

The part I will remember is the memorial for the 7/7 victims.

I get a feeling that Glasgow's Commonwealth Games in 2014, will be far more spectacular.

I know we have Team GB but the Olympics are being held in London! Isambard Kingdom Brunel was one of the UKs most brilliant engineers - he may also have inspired Aneurin Bevan with the idea to create the National Health Service. The whole opening ceremony was possible because of the scientists and engineers who helped make the ceremony so great.

James Bond and Chitty Chitty Bang Band were both written by Ian Fleming.

If Glasgow's 2014 celebration is more spectacular it could be because of London 2012.

Kado
07-28-2012, 07:03 PM
I know we have Team GB but the Olympics are being held in London! Isambard Kingdom Brunel was one of the UKs most brilliant engineers - he may also have inspired Aneurin Bevan with the idea to create the National Health Service. The whole opening ceremony was possible because of the scientists and engineers who helped make the ceremony so great.

James Bond and Chitty Chitty Bang Band were both written by Ian Fleming.

If Glasgow's 2014 celebration is more spectacular it could be because of London 2012.

Ah, that might explain the whole NHS thing then. Might have helped if the BBC commentators had explained more to us at home (which they didn't as usual).

crunchyblanket
07-28-2012, 07:06 PM

I don't know...as a working-class council-flat scumbag, I was pretty proud of it. They had the NHS, the Windrush, the Industrial Revolution (a triumph of engineering) They showed steel forges and nurses and Isambard Kingdom Brunel. Even the artsy stuff was something most of us can identify with - Harry Potter and Mary Poppins, Chariots of Fire, the Sex Pistols and David Bowie.

I, personally, was very proud of the NHS tribute. It was enough for me that an institution so badly under fire under the current administration was celebrated in such an overt way - a little bit of a "fuck you" to Dave and co.

mirandashell
07-28-2012, 07:14 PM
I totally agree with Crunchy. We don't give our NHS enough credit. Cos a lot of us, me included, would be buggered without it. So I was pleased they put that in. And Sir Tim Berners Lee. It was great to see him.

There were bits of it I didn't like but then there always are. Overall it was better than I was expecting.

Well done Danny Boyle.

firedrake
07-28-2012, 07:25 PM
It was a very 'British' celebration.

The people who don't seem to like it are the ones who could sit through a Monty Python show and not laugh.

*shrugs*

MsJudy
07-28-2012, 07:53 PM
Yeah, I didn't "get" a lot of it. A big messy all-over-the-place spectacle. But as a kidlit writer/teacher, I loved the whole celebration of kidlit. An army of Mary Poppins to the rescue!

dolores haze
07-28-2012, 08:01 PM
I thought the opening ceremony was loud, brash, funny, goofy, energetic and utterly charming. I enjoyed it immensely. I loved the focus on volunteerism, the celebrations of national healthcare and children's lit. I'm no fan of the royal family, but big kudos to queenie for being such a good sport.

High points for me were that gorgeous lone voice singing Blake's 'Jerusalem,' the doctors and nurses dancing their asses off, the sign language version of God Save the Queen, the inclusion of the people who built the stadium, the moment when the queen turned around and it was actually her, and the young athletes lighting the unusual and spectacular Olympic flame. The parade of nations was wonderful, especially this (http://www.euronews.com/sport/1599286-saudi-women-join-opening-ceremony-for-first-time/) moment. Victory indeed, sister!

Low points: the love story/lost phone segment and McCartney doing the tired old "guys sing/gals sing" bit. Not sure why they picked 'Hey Jude,' when there are so many songs more apropos to the moment. Really, all I wanted was John Lennon doing 'Imagine,' which wasn't going to happen, obviously, but maybe Paul w/ a choir of nations or something. The ending was just a bit of an anti-climax.

All in all, Danny Boyle did a fab job.

backslashbaby
07-28-2012, 11:03 PM
Yes. Americans. *shrug* Sorry :Shrug:

Oh, screw you. Don't watch our blabbering commentators then; watch your own!

I really hate the dialogue about all the countries because it's so idiotic, but there are little pieces of info in there that are interesting. I did like the boldness of the commentary about Argentina. It was strange in comparison to comments like 'Chile is a South American nation'.

That said, there really were about two countries I'd never heard of!

I liked the NHS salute. I'm sure folks are proud of their health systems since the US have managed such a clusterfuck with ours with much more money poured in. Be proud! Salute those folks.

The Queen was awesome, lol. She's a good actress!

mirandashell
07-28-2012, 11:17 PM
High points for me were that gorgeous lone voice singing Blake's 'Jerusalem

It was the hymn Abide With Me.

ETA: OH has just reminded me of the young choir member at the start. Apologies if you meant him.

dolores haze
07-28-2012, 11:35 PM
Yeah, I meant the choirboy at the start. The 'Abide With Me' section was cut from the broadcast I watched, for some inexplicable reason.

mirandashell
07-28-2012, 11:39 PM
You're kidding! It was beautiful. Just a woman with a great voice singing the hymn, backed by an electronic 'heartbeat'. It was so nice I just closed my eyes and let it wash over me.

dolores haze
07-28-2012, 11:43 PM
I found a link to it this morning. That heartbeat! It's a tough song for me; reminds me of burying a family member. Which is probably true of most Brits and the reason it was chosen.

mirandashell
07-28-2012, 11:44 PM
There's also the FA Cup connection. It's one of the few hymns everyone knows.

veinglory
07-29-2012, 12:26 AM
I liked it a lot. And I had to listen to the commentators I can get on me TV. They sucked. That is not about nationality, just about sucking. The BBC regatta commentary was no better. Commentators should know what they are talking about and not make jokes based on foreign people speaking or dressing "funny". Not in this day and age and in an event like the Olympics. They apparently also thought Cameroon had a funny name and I don't even know why? To their credit the did eplain the Peter Pan/NHS connections and the literary characters (but not the Brunel part).

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
07-29-2012, 12:37 AM
Bob Costas felt it necessary to tell those of us watching NBS (in the US) that Djibouti was one of his favorite countries to say aloud.

third person
07-29-2012, 12:59 AM
Oh, screw you. Don't watch our blabbering commentators then; watch your own!

I was...I'm...American :hi:so it REALLY stings to acknowledge that commentators were assuming the general audience are...unworldly airheads. Then again a quick look at our TV programming these days pretty much confirms the networks assume and exploit this en masse.

Shakesbear
07-29-2012, 01:14 AM
Ah, that might explain the whole NHS thing then. Might have helped if the BBC commentators had explained more to us at home (which they didn't as usual).

It might have - seems IKB built homes and stuff for his workers and included health care for them. Sounds simple but can be a swine to explain in a very short space of time.

24 hours later and I still love the whole thing. Near the start there was a bit with the Thames being followed from its' source to London. I found that very emotional as a while back I went to see the place where the Thames starts. Being a Londoner I found it very emotional. I watched the Queen/Bond bit again - loved the statue of Churchill waving.

mirandashell
07-29-2012, 01:20 AM
There were quite a few Victorian magnates that did that. The Cadburys, Titus Salt, Elizabeth Fry....

They realised that it was worth doing because healthy and happy workers are more productive.

Also, the Cadburys were Quakers so there was a religious angle.

Shakesbear
07-29-2012, 02:14 AM
There were quite a few Victorian magnates that did that. The Cadburys, Titus Salt, Elizabeth Fry....

They realised that it was worth doing because healthy and happy workers are more productive.

Also, the Cadburys were Quakers so there was a religious angle.

True - but I think that the difference between them was the level of health care. Brunel seemed to provide clinics, hospitals and other 'stuff' that was good for peoples health. That is not to say the ones you named did not - but possibly IKB was on a higher level.

mirandashell
07-29-2012, 02:19 AM
Sorry, I didn't realise it was a competition!

LOL!

ETA: Shakes, do you have a link to his stuff for workers?

LadyV
07-29-2012, 03:16 AM
I very much enjoyed it. Of course, I'm also an Anglophile, so take my opinion for what it's worth. Loved the skit with Rowan Aktinson. The queen jumping out of the helicopter was unexpected. The tribute to the NHS was different. The thing with the digital love story was a little odd, but I didn't hate it, it just wasn't my favorite part. Oh, the movie about the Thames was very cool.

angeliz2k
07-29-2012, 04:12 AM
I enjoyed it. I loved the British-ness. It was a little quirky and funny and vaguely unfocused. So, yeah, very British, and I mean that in the best way.

Still, there could have been a better connective thread. They should have gone with a historical theme--you know, moving through history with one thing/character providing the connection from time period to time period. They sort of started that way, then decided to go off on tangents with the NHS and the lost phone thing, which was a strange way to present British music . . .

Mr Flibble
07-29-2012, 04:16 PM
I only saw bits, but I liked what I saw. I'm given to understand (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/london/story/2012-07-28/NBC-tribute-to-victims-Michael-Phelps/56556494/1) that the Abide with Me section, a tribute to terrorism victims (especially those from 7/7, the day after it was announced we'd won the Olympic bid) was cut (http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/07/28/1114648/-NBC-We-skipped-terror-tribute-because-it-wasn-t-tailored-for-the-U-S-audience) on NBC because it 'wasn't tailored to a US audience'

Which seriously fucking boggles me, if that's true.

Shakesbear
07-29-2012, 04:27 PM
Sorry, I didn't realise it was a competition!

LOL!

ETA: Shakes, do you have a link to his stuff for workers?

Go here http://mechanics-trust.org.uk/history/background/ and scroll down to the last paragraph. The website has other info. The place in Swindon that IKB developed is called Railway Village - if you google that you get other sites and info.

mirandashell
07-29-2012, 04:28 PM
Oh for lords sake... only American victims are important, then?

crunchyblanket
07-29-2012, 04:59 PM
I only saw bits, but I liked what I saw. I'm given to understand (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/london/story/2012-07-28/NBC-tribute-to-victims-Michael-Phelps/56556494/1) that the Abide with Me section, a tribute to terrorism victims (especially those from 7/7, the day after it was announced we'd won the Olympic bid) was cut (http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/07/28/1114648/-NBC-We-skipped-terror-tribute-because-it-wasn-t-tailored-for-the-U-S-audience) on NBC because it 'wasn't tailored to a US audience'

Wow.

dolores haze
07-29-2012, 05:44 PM
Ugh. And the Seacrest/Phelps interview was such a cliche-ridden piece of fluff, too. Strange priorities, NBC!

mirandashell
07-29-2012, 05:45 PM
Thanks, Shakes. I'll have a good read of that later.

seun
07-29-2012, 05:46 PM

What the fuck?

CrastersBabies
07-29-2012, 07:32 PM
I enjoyed it. It was so different from the last one and it was a perfect way, imho, to show British culture and such. I loved the lighting of the torches especially.

So, question to you all. Should we start a separate thread for olympic events or carry on here? I kinda want to talk sports "shop!" It seems like threads have been merged, but just wanted to ask here first.

mirandashell
07-29-2012, 07:40 PM
We could open a thread in Sports. I'm wanting to talk about the sports as well. I'm just watching the Archery.

backslashbaby
07-29-2012, 11:30 PM
I was...I'm...American :hi:so it REALLY stings to acknowledge that commentators were assuming the general audience are...unworldly airheads. Then again a quick look at our TV programming these days pretty much confirms the networks assume and exploit this en masse.

How did I miss that you were American, lol?! Carry on then...

Actually, watch Telemundo's coverage. I caught their live analysis of Men's Gymnastics, and I desperately wish NBC would switch to using them in English.

Ah. Probably because of our Olympic bombing in Atlanta (and all of the other Olympic tragedies earlier and terrorism since, yes). We don't want to be thinking of those weapons on London buildings during the Opening Ceremony probably; it's true. I think many of us are halfway expecting to see your buildings go up in flames or the Olympic Torch shake with a bomb blast like Atlanta.

The Batman shootings didn't help that, obviously :( :(

Lavern08
07-30-2012, 01:33 AM
...the performance by doctors and nurses, etc. that represented the NHS-Britain's acclaimed National Health Service. The dance moves and the co-ordination by the performers and little kids jumping up and down made it a good show.

...Daniel Craig walking up to meet the queen made you think you were in a James Bond movie

...And the athletes parade lead by Greece as the place where the Olympics was first played.

And of course watching the costumes adorned by the various athletes was fun too! What a proud moment for the flag bearers of the various nations,which was no wonder that a fair few of them were in tears...

^ The above made it (mostly) enjoyable for me.

Unfortunately, I fell asleep and didn't get to see all of the countries march in or the lighting of the torch.

But that's how it goes when you're an old poot and you can't stay awake after 9:30 PM. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif

Kats
07-30-2012, 01:55 AM

Yeah, this. As someone who lived in London and was there when the bombings occurred, I would really have liked to have seen the tribute. I can't believe they just cut it out for the U.S audience.

I'm not impressed with NBC's Olympics coverage at all. I've lived in Australia, the U.K, and now the U.S, and this is by far the worst coverage (not showing events live, waiting for prime time instead?!).

mirandashell
07-30-2012, 02:41 PM
^ The above made it (mostly) enjoyable for me.

Unfortunately, I fell asleep and didn't get to see all of the countries march in or the lighting of the torch.

But that's how it goes when you're an old poot and you can't stay awake after 9:30 PM. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif

I hope you got as far as Fiji......

Stiger05
07-30-2012, 06:09 PM
Yeah, this. As someone who lived in London and was there when the bombings occurred, I would really have liked to have seen the tribute. I can't believe they just cut it out for the U.S audience.

I'm not impressed with NBC's Olympics coverage at all. I've lived in Australia, the U.K, and now the U.S, and this is by far the worst coverage (not showing events live, waiting for prime time instead?!).

Agreed. I would have loved to have seen the tribute.

The coverage has been terrible! I understand waiting for prime time during the week for the big events, like the men's relay in swimming. A lot of people work and would miss it. Over the weekend, though? Show the events! I don't want to have to stay up until 11pm on a work night to watch the events I want to see most.

At least they're streaming them live online. That just means I'll have to keep off Twitter until it airs here.

mirandashell
07-30-2012, 06:11 PM
Do you not have a live stream on the internet?

LadyV
07-30-2012, 06:36 PM
Agreed. I would have loved to have seen the tribute.

The coverage has been terrible! I understand waiting for prime time during the week for the big events, like the men's relay in swimming. A lot of people work and would miss it. Over the weekend, though? Show the events! I don't want to have to stay up until 11pm on a work night to watch the events I want to see most.

At least they're streaming them live online. That just means I'll have to keep off Twitter until it airs here.
I understand that they have to accomadate the five-hour difference, but they should at least try to keep results a secret until after they air it. Thanks to MSN, I found out Lockte beat out Phelps for the gold hours before it even happened.

veinglory
07-30-2012, 07:46 PM
I watched NBC and I only just found out that there was a 6-minute tribute to the victims of the London bombings.

Why on earth would they cut that?

mirandashell
07-31-2012, 02:05 AM
The BBC said today that NBC had apologised and said they didn't realise it was a tribute to the 7/7 victims. Quite what they thought it was, I don't know.

veinglory
07-31-2012, 02:08 AM
Um, quite. I watched it online and it was pretty self-explanatory--and was shown at a considerable delay so it didn't sneak up on them. One also assumes the networks were given an event agenda.

mirandashell
07-31-2012, 02:10 AM
I honestly don't know. Maybe they were just desperate for a space to interview Ryan Seacrest.

veinglory
07-31-2012, 02:13 AM
War in Terror! (Except when Seacrest has something to say).

fredXgeorge
07-31-2012, 03:41 AM
We have terrible coverage in Australia too. I mean, obviously most the events happen while we're asleep but Nine has the rights and, despite having 3 channels, they don't start showing any Olympics until 7pm! Instead we get The Bachelorette, and Seinfeld and Bewitched repeats??? They do have an extra channel which shows the Olympics most of the day but most of the country can't even bloody access it! So frustrating.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
07-31-2012, 04:09 AM
We have terrible coverage in Australia too. I mean, obviously most the events happen while we're asleep but Nine has the rights and, despite having 3 channels, they don't start showing any Olympics until 7pm! Instead we get The Bachelorette, and Seinfeld and Bewitched repeats??? They do have an extra channel which shows the Olympics most of the day but most of the country can't even bloody access it! So frustrating.
I'm American and am relying on NBC for my coverage. It's interesting that so few other countries are entered into men's gymnastics. Other than the Americans I have seen one Irish person, two Germans, and a Romanian--all of whom apparently competed in only one event each. There are maybe one or two Chinese and a fellow from Japan who did two events. Amazing that the rest of the world is so completely uninterested in gymnastics.

:sarcasm

fredXgeorge
07-31-2012, 04:41 AM
And you guys don't get the events live, do you? That's a common complaint I've seen from Americans. I mean, I think we at least get most events live, it's just that that is between 7pm-9am.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
07-31-2012, 05:14 AM
And you guys don't get the events live, do you? That's a common complaint I've seen from Americans. I mean, I think we at least get most events live, it's just that that is between 7pm-9am.My biggest complaint is that it is so incredibly Yankeecentric. The Olympics are supposed to be a time for the world to come together. But if you watch swimming on American tv you have to believe that the Olympics were staged so that Michael Phelps could compete against Ryan Lochte.

fredXgeorge
07-31-2012, 07:28 AM
My biggest complaint is that it is so incredibly Yankeecentric. The Olympics are supposed to be a time for the world to come together. But if you watch swimming on American tv you have to believe that the Olympics were staged so that Michael Phelps could compete against Ryan Lochte.
Yeah I've seen a lot of complaints about that, too. In fact, John Green tweeted about an hour ago saying exactly that.

Has NBC always had the Olympics? It seems like it's a new thing this year.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
07-31-2012, 07:36 AM
Has NBC always had the Olympics? It seems like it's a new thing this year.They've had them at least since 84, i know this because I worked for them (NBC) for them (LA Olympics) at the time.

fredXgeorge
07-31-2012, 08:47 AM
They've had them at least since 84, i know this because I worked for them (NBC) for them (LA Olympics) at the time.
Ah well then I was right off lol.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
07-31-2012, 12:19 PM
Well tonight in Primetime (Monday 7/30), NBC abandoned the American team once it started to implode and focused on the three medal contenders--tho they showed only a few events (no rings!!! and no high bar!) and they couldn't even be bothered to show all the final scores (despite the fact that it came down to a contested score from Japan)!

NBC's men's gymnastics coverage totally sucked from start to finish.

K. Taylor
07-31-2012, 01:45 PM
They flashed them on the screen for like 2 seconds, but yeah.

This is the worst coverage of the men's gymnastics they've ever done, to be honest. It used to get more air time than this and you'd see all the apparatus. Individual gets more than team.

The women's is more popular, so that should have more coverage, but we'll see.

Stiger05
07-31-2012, 05:37 PM
Well tonight in Primetime (Monday 7/30), NBC abandoned the American team once it started to implode and focused on the three medal contenders--tho they showed only a few events (no rings!!! and no high bar!) and they couldn't even be bothered to show all the final scores (despite the fact that it came down to a contested score from Japan)!

NBC's men's gymnastics coverage totally sucked from start to finish.

I have been so frustrated with the men's gymnastics coverage! No rings! I didn't see a single competitor on the rings. I know they were there, I could see them on screen next to the pommel horse. Why didn't they show it? They showed high bar during the qualifiers and then a couple of the Chinese and Japanese competitors on that and the parallel bars. Did the US not compete in those events? Did we just suck too bad so they didn't show anyone? Ugh. I enjoy watching the women, which is more popular here, but I actually prefer watching the men. They have so much power! And I didn't see the scores either.

We got a few seconds of equestrian coverage finally last night, but all they did was talk about how the jumps were British landmarks, oh and the Queen's granddaughter rode. That's it.

I enjoy the swimming but I'm honestly getting tired of it. I fast-fowarded during most of it last night.

I don't remember the coverage being this bad in the past. On Saturday, NBC had three channels (that I got--there was a fourth too) with coverage. The last couple days they've really just shown the Games on the main channel. The others have been Real Housewives of Whatever, etc. Get with it NBC.

backslashbaby
07-31-2012, 09:51 PM
All the gymnastics coverage is pissing me off! I like to see every Russian, Chinese, Romanian, and German at a minimum. Certainly this year the Brits would also be on that shortlist (YAY for the Bronze, y'all!) and the Ukranians. Men's and women's.

I can't believe we are seeing so few performances.

Telemundo occasionally throws in a different country (and obviously countries like Mexico... so Latin-centric ;)), but they aren't giving much more complete coverage.

Watching it live doesn't really work because the events take place at the same times :(

The coverage was much better back in the day. I can't remember who had it, but it used to be much more complete.

eta - oh, Telemundo still gives the best actual coverage of each routine. They don't just blabber or talk about the gymnasts' parents the whole time. I love the human-interest angles, but during the actual event I want to hear technical discussion.

Priene
07-31-2012, 11:00 PM
Watching it live doesn't really work because the events take place at the same times :(

This probably isn't going to work if you're outside the UK, but have you tried the BBC? They have at least three or four dedicated terrestrial channels and eight billion streams on the net.

Nick Rolynd
08-01-2012, 12:09 AM
It's quite interesting seeing what all these other countries are doing to screw up the Olympics coverage. I'm actually in the UK right now, so I'm getting live coverage--which I suppose is decent, but I don't have any first hand comparisons. Glad I'll be staying over here until all the events I want to see are done. It sounds like NBC has turned into a nightmare again... >.>

I actually watched the women's team gymnastics earlier--the first event I fully watched do to various trips around England over the weekend--and thought they did a decent job covering most of the teams. Though, of course, they focused more on the few teams in the top spots.

Although, I remember when the Olympics started a few days ago and Cavendish lost the road race that they would not stop talking about it. They kept framing it like everyone was "out to beat England," as if no one could fathom wanting to win an Olympic event because it's an Olympic event. It was kind of irritating because they kept repeating the same "shock and horror" sequence of the guy's loss over and over and refused to give the winner any actual attention.

I'm not sure how much the BBC has been doing that since then, though, because I only watch a few select events.

mirandashell
08-01-2012, 12:15 AM
They've only really done it with Cavendish.

Nick Rolynd
08-01-2012, 02:16 AM
^ Good to know. I feared it would be a running theme.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
08-01-2012, 07:24 AM
How is the Bronze-Silver-Bronze status of the men's gymnastics team playing out over in Britain? Personally I think Kohei did NOT attain a handstand on the horse, and (also) personally I don't think a score should change unless there can be no question on reviewing the tape that a mis-scoring has occurred.

mirandashell
08-01-2012, 03:00 PM
I don't think anyone is too bothered about it, to be honest. Anyone who follows gymnastics knows that this kind of thing happens and we're just so pleased to get any medal that it's not a problem.

And the gymnasts themselves are not making a fuss so...

Stiger05
08-01-2012, 06:36 PM
Although, I remember when the Olympics started a few days ago and Cavendish lost the road race that they would not stop talking about it. They kept framing it like everyone was "out to beat England," as if no one could fathom wanting to win an Olympic event because it's an Olympic event. It was kind of irritating because they kept repeating the same "shock and horror" sequence of the guy's loss over and over and refused to give the winner any actual attention.

I'm not sure how much the BBC has been doing that since then, though, because I only watch a few select events.

Here, NBC has done the same thing with women's gymnastics. Instead of focusing on the two girls who made the all-around, they're focusing on the one who didn't. They keep showing her crying over, and over, and over. They talk about her, the camera follows her, it's irritating. We get it, it's sad, move on. We didn't even see the beam score for the anchor girl!

Although I am glad they finally showed some other teams. I absolutely love watching the Russian gymnasts. The Americans are skilled, but the Russians are so graceful, and the Romanians on beam was a real treat.

backslashbaby
08-02-2012, 12:57 AM
This probably isn't going to work if you're outside the UK, but have you tried the BBC? They have at least three or four dedicated terrestrial channels and eight billion streams on the net.

I'm going to mask my IP and do that! NBC's coverage of women's gymnastics last night was just too much. We got to see the Russians, but we missed the competition for Bronze (so the fight for 3rd and 4th). Apparently the Chinese messed up, for instance, but there was nary even a clip of it.

The Russians' artistry is still so brilliant! I wish we'd get back to copying their ballet skills :D The US girls did fabulous, though! We did rock on technical stuff (except parallel, but Gabby solved that!) and the performances were amazing to see.

mirandashell
08-02-2012, 01:01 AM
Why is Gabriel Douglas known as The Flying Squirrel?

And yeah, your girls did really well.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
08-02-2012, 02:34 AM
Here, NBC has done the same thing with women's gymnastics. Instead of focusing on the two girls who made the all-around, they're focusing on the one who didn't. They keep showing her crying over, and over, and over. They talk about her, the camera follows her, it's irritating. We get it, it's sad, move on. We didn't even see the beam score for the anchor girl!

Although I am glad they finally showed some other teams. I absolutely love watching the Russian gymnasts. The Americans are skilled, but the Russians are so graceful, and the Romanians on beam was a real treat.

NBC's coverage of women's gymnastics last night was just too much. We got to see the Russians, but we missed the competition for Bronze (so the fight for 3rd and 4th). Apparently the Chinese messed up, for instance, but there was nary even a clip of it.I have a theory about this that has been forming since NBC messed up American Susuki last month.

I think Reality TV (Big Brother/Survivor, et al) has convinced whomever is incharge of these things, that there has to be A NARRATIVE--no one wants to watch just plain old competition anymore--they have to have A STORY they can follow. And even worse, the story has to be simple.

The theory explains the debacle that was Men's coverage. Ug, it annoys me just to remember it. And it explains why anyone watching gymnastics on NBC last night would assume only two women's teams competed. And NBC is so unsubtle about it--did you all notice that we never even saw the final score on (Alex's) on floor exercise?

Stiger05
08-02-2012, 06:10 PM
I have a theory about this that has been forming since NBC messed up American Susuki last month.

I think Reality TV (Big Brother/Survivor, et al) has convinced whomever is incharge of these things, that there has to be A NARRATIVE--no one wants to watch just plain old competition anymore--they have to have A STORY they can follow. And even worse, the story has to be simple.

The theory explains the debacle that was Men's coverage. Ug, it annoys me just to remember it. And it explains why anyone watching gymnastics on NBC last night would assume only two women's teams competed. And NBC is so unsubtle about it--did you all notice that we never even saw the final score on (Alex's) on floor exercise?

I can completely see that. Especially with the pre-taped interviews with Ryan Seacrest setting up the "story."

The men's all-arounds showed some of the other gymnasts, but we got very little of the gold medalist and only one event from silver, which apparently was a tough battle. And still NO rings! I saw them, I know people were on them! In the background of the German guy's floor, there was a guy spinning and twirling on rings. What the hell?

I hope the coverage of the women's all-arounds will be better, but I'm certain it won't. I want to actually see the other countries compete. And USA's own Aly. Poor girl has been in shadow the entire time. If they mention Jordyn tonight I swear I'm going to throw something at the tv.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
08-03-2012, 03:32 AM
If they mention Jordyn tonight I swear I'm going to throw something at the tv.Your poor tv. You know the minute coverage starts it will be with the tragic story of "the girl who almost made it".

K. Taylor
08-03-2012, 01:09 PM
NBC definitely wants a narrative. They've moved more and more toward that direction in recent years, but this year has been the worst for coverage.

The focus was on Gabby and Aly and the Russians with Jordyn only shown cheering them on in the stands with Kyla and Maroney.

Aly was robbed, though. 1) the new tie-breaker rule, and 2) her score. Her floor routine was the same as Wed., which got a 15.3-, yet Thursday's was a 15.1-?

Miranda, Gabby is "The Flying Squirrel" because she flies so high above the uneven bars in her routines.

BTW, who decided Team USA should be in dull gray jackets and neon green sneakers? We've always been in red/white/blue warm-up uniforms before, yet we're standing on podiums in gray and black now? :rolleyes

mirandashell
08-03-2012, 01:59 PM
I get the 'Flying' bit. But why 'Squirrel'?

angeliz2k
08-03-2012, 05:01 PM
I can completely see that. Especially with the pre-taped interviews with Ryan Seacrest setting up the "story."

The men's all-arounds showed some of the other gymnasts, but we got very little of the gold medalist and only one event from silver, which apparently was a tough battle. And still NO rings! I saw them, I know people were on them! In the background of the German guy's floor, there was a guy spinning and twirling on rings. What the hell?

I hope the coverage of the women's all-arounds will be better, but I'm certain it won't. I want to actually see the other countries compete. And USA's own Aly. Poor girl has been in shadow the entire time. If they mention Jordyn tonight I swear I'm going to throw something at the tv.

There's been a lot of complaining from the gymnastics community about the piss-poor coverage from NBC. The live feed online was much better because they showed lots of routines and Shannon Miller commentated. (Shannon is about a hundred times better than Tim, Elfi and especially Al, who is an effing moron or at least acts like one. Al: "The first day of competition is called qualifications." I am not three, thanks; I know the word qualifications.)

The coverage of the men's all-around was particularly bad. They showed a grand total of 10 to 12 routines in FOUR HOURS of coverage, but they managed to get in a bit with Ryan Seacrest about social media! And last night, the only gymnast they showed outside of Douglas, Komova, Mustafina, and Raisman was Deng Linlin. That's inexplicable, really. They should have shown some of Sandra Izbasa, for instance, who finished fifth, or Huang Quishuang, who had an amazing meet, too. Hell, I'd have taken a little bit of Vanessa Ferrari, for heaven's sake! The commentators' constant harping on Mustafina as a "diva" is getting old.

Oh, and this morning on the Today Show, the interviewer tried desperately to get Aly Raisman to say she was robbed of the bronze medal, but Aly wouldn't take the bait. Thank you for being such a fantastic human being, Aly!

In spite of NBC's coverage, I'm so proud of the American girls. It looks like they'll come home with at least three golds, because in a few days Maroney is assured a gold on vault unless she falls on her face.

sharpyetblunt
08-03-2012, 05:43 PM
I thought the opening ceremony was loud, brash, funny, goofy, energetic and utterly charming. I enjoyed it immensely. I loved the focus on volunteerism, the celebrations of national healthcare and children's lit. I'm no fan of the royal family, but big kudos to queenie for being such a good sport.

High points for me were that gorgeous lone voice singing Blake's 'Jerusalem,' the doctors and nurses dancing their asses off, the sign language version of God Save the Queen, the inclusion of the people who built the stadium, the moment when the queen turned around and it was actually her, and the young athletes lighting the unusual and spectacular Olympic flame. The parade of nations was wonderful, especially this (http://www.euronews.com/sport/1599286-saudi-women-join-opening-ceremony-for-first-time/) moment. Victory indeed, sister!

Low points: the love story/lost phone segment and McCartney doing the tired old "guys sing/gals sing" bit. Not sure why they picked 'Hey Jude,' when there are so many songs more apropos to the moment. Really, all I wanted was John Lennon doing 'Imagine,' which wasn't going to happen, obviously, but maybe Paul w/ a choir of nations or something. The ending was just a bit of an anti-climax.

I agree with all of this.

K. Taylor
08-04-2012, 12:47 AM
I get the 'Flying' bit. But why 'Squirrel'?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_squirrel

It's an animal that glides.

mirandashell
08-04-2012, 12:51 AM
No, sorry. Still don't get it.

Probably just me.

Radzeer
08-04-2012, 01:14 AM

Cannot agree more.

Edit: For those of us in the US who have to suffer through NBC's abysmal coverage, there is a solution. I use Expat Shield and link on to BBC online - that is just pure professionalism! After two days I just could not look at the NBC team without wanting to throw up.

backslashbaby
08-04-2012, 02:07 AM
No, sorry. Still don't get it.

Probably just me.

You'd have to see them in action :D They 'fly' from tree limb to tree limb, see? Like the uneven bars.

I think she has wings on her feet, though. That girl gets major air on every apparatus. I'm so happy she won! I love her :)

mirandashell
08-04-2012, 02:10 AM
Ah, ok! Now I get it.

frimble3
08-05-2012, 12:25 AM
Not really OT, and really shallow, but I just want to complain about the style of lettering they chose for the Games. I know, everyone complained when they were first shown, but now that I see them every time an athlete's name is shown, it's bugging me more and more.
It looks like temporary signage, made up on a moment's notice by some guy making the letters with bits of masking tape.
Sorry. Rant over.

K. Taylor
08-12-2012, 04:49 PM
The entire Closing Ceremony will be streamed live on NBCOlympics.com and on the NBC Olympics Live Extra App on mobile devices and tablets beginning at 4 p.m. ET, to cable, satellite and telco customers who verify their subscriptions.

On TV, Olympic primetime host Bob Costas will host the London 2012 Olympic Games Closing Ceremony from Olympic Stadium alongside co-hosts Al Michaels, the host of NBC’s Olympic daytime coverage, and Ryan Seacrest, Olympic primetime correspondent.

The Closing Ceremony will follow London Gold, a special presentation of the top moments and athletes of the 2012 Olympics. Coverage begins Sunday at 7 p.m. ET/PT.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-blogs/2012/nbcolympics-com-to-livestream-olympic-closing-ceremony.html

BenPanced
08-12-2012, 07:13 PM
The Spice Girls?! I thought they wanted people to watch the closing ceremonies!

firedrake
08-12-2012, 07:19 PM
The Spice Girls?! I thought they wanted people to watch the closing ceremonies!

A friend of mine suggested that the Spice Girls were only performing in order to make sure everyone returned to their own countries now that the games are over. :D

Priene
08-12-2012, 07:30 PM
I heard a rumour that Duran Duran are going to be playing at the Closing Ceremony. Rio, obviously.

Let's hope Simon LeBon doesn't have another Live Aid moment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mINh8ZOWSLw) (at about 2:55, if you don't want to sit through three minutes of eighties synth-rock).