Status
Not open for further replies.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I submitted a query and synopsis to Avon Romance last month, and they responded almost immediately (within 24 hours, even tho their website says it will be in a couple of weeks) with a request for a full MS, which I mailed promptly. The person who replied asked me to put her name on it, and mark the envelope with "requested" on the outside, so I've got a real live name attached to it (I suspect she's someone's assistant, as she's not an agent, but that's fine with me).

I was wondering if anyone has every dealt with them before -- obviously, I know they are HUGE, I'm not asking about their reputation or quality or anything -- I'm wondering how long they normally take to reply to a full MS. It's only been a month, so I'm not really getting antsy yet. I'm just curious, at what point should I send a follow up note if I haven't heard from them?

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
PattiTheWicked said:
I submitted a query and synopsis to Avon Romance last month, and they responded almost immediately (within 24 hours, even tho their website says it will be in a couple of weeks) with a request for a full MS, which I mailed promptly. The person who replied asked me to put her name on it, and mark the envelope with "requested" on the outside, so I've got a real live name attached to it (I suspect she's someone's assistant, as she's not an agent, but that's fine with me).

I was wondering if anyone has every dealt with them before -- obviously, I know they are HUGE, I'm not asking about their reputation or quality or anything -- I'm wondering how long they normally take to reply to a full MS. It's only been a month, so I'm not really getting antsy yet. I'm just curious, at what point should I send a follow up note if I haven't heard from them?

I'd say give it at LEAST 6 months before you even begin to get twitchy. <G> 6 months is a very short turn-around on a full ms that doesn't have an agent to nag the editor on your behalf. :)

Good luck! Fingers crossed for you!

Susan G.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
that's awesome! good luck.

and good luck waiting, too. I imagine it will be a long haul.

L.Jones

Registered
Reaction score
I did 3 books with Avon but can't really say how long they will take on an unagented manuscript. I'd be shocked if it took 6 mos but I don't think you should get antsy until around 3 (mos).

This is a good sign, their asking for your work so quickly, have you considered using this time to query agents so you will have someone in a position to negotiate your contract, and maybe speed things along?

One thing you might want to do is hit the bookstore and check out Avon books and see if any authors mention their agents, do some research and query some of those, since you know they will have an in.

annie
Luanne Jones
Heathen Girls (MIRA) available now

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Excellent advice, annie! I should have thought of that. Now would be a VERY good time to start to look for an agent and, as annie says, finding one that already has ties to Avon is even better, because they'll know that an editor requesting a full doesn't happen every day. You might get picked up, or at least asked for a read. :)

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Patti! And good luck! I submitted to them (via e-mail) in September and never heard a word. The fact that you got a reply back so quickly makes me wonder two things: 1:did they even get mine? or 2: was my query so bad they didn't bother?

Maybe I'll try again...I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you!

lrs

Registered
Reaction score
I've queried them and usually within a couple of weeks, both times, was rejected. Thats wonderful that they are interested in you without an agent. Your query must have sounded great!

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Thanks, everyone, for your encouragement! I do have the full ms in review wiht a couple of agents right now, so I will email them and let them know what's going on. Maybe it will push my envelope to the top of the stack!

I'll keep everyone posted, and let you know what happens.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Since it seems I should have heard something by now, I resubmitted to Avon (an email query) and I'll wait patiently. Have to get started on my 2006 rejections!

(but I'm still crossing my fingers for you Patti...I'll just cross a couple more for me!)

jbayley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennabayleyburke.com
Patti - You're the first person I've heard of to actually get a request from the email query system. I personally have a plethora of rejections from them :) Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.