Romneyshambles

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
This Mitt bloke - you can keep him. We're sorry about sending you Piers Morgan, but don't feel you need to reciprocate.

Since he landed here he's been making vaguely offensive remarks about our shared "Anglo-Saxon heritage", publicly wondering whether the Olympics is going to be a disaster (fair enough, Mitt, but keep it to yourself - it's called politeness), getting zinged in return by David Cameron of all people ("Of course it's easy to put on the Olympics in the middle of nowhere"), apparently forgetting Ed Miliband's name (again, fair enough, but can you imagine Barack Obama doing that?), and then blabbing about his meeting with the head of MI6, which is Not Done.

Sir Humphrey at No.10 opined "What a total shocker. We are speechless."

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, you actually think we want him back?!

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Hey! You sent us Donald Trump. Nothing compares to that. For that alone, you owe us space for about 20 Pierce Morgans.

Pierce Morgan? Is that like a cross between James Bond and that smug twat who used to edit a crap paper?

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Pierce Morgan? Is that like a cross between James Bond and that smug twat who used to edit a crap paper?

I didn't know you could edit toilet paper.

He leaves for foreign parts soon - just wondering who he will offend next. So many possibilities in Israel.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Does he shamble then? Is he part of the Zombie apocalypse thing out of Florida? Is he the Zombie's political representative? Reg Shoe would like that. No more vitalism.

Alexandra Little

What a desolation.
Registered
Reaction score
Romneyshambles is now all over the place, not just Twitter. When the Prime Minister feels free to insult you, then your trip hasn't gone well.

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
One @DCPlod has just announced that Mitt is retroactively cancelling his visit to the UK, hahaha.

(Also, the Sun's headline on the affair - 'Mitt the Twit' - ouch.)

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know how far the word's fame has spread, but Romneyshambles is an extension of Omnishambles, a word invented by a political comedian, Armando Iannucci for The Thick of It and subsequently used to describe the coalition's horrible performance in the last few months.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Imagine what Romney would be saying about the Olympics if we'd tortured his grandad the way we did Obama's.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Somebody needs to update his programming...

Besides the #RomneyShambles hashtag, there's another one making the twitter rounds - #AmericanBorat. Sounds about right ;)

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
This is particularly enjoyable because Mitty has been criticizing the president at least since 2010 for ruining America's standing in the world - making us look weak by apologizing everywhere, apparently. It's also been a favorite Fox talking point. But now, in a tour of America's three closest allies - the UK, Israel and Poland - he's already pissed off one.

I'd say Mitt's pretty much burned up that line of attack this week.

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
This is particularly enjoyable because Mitty has been criticizing the president at least since 2010 for ruining America's standing in the world - making us look weak by apologizing everywhere, apparently.

Yeah, I think America's friends abroad overwhelmingly support Obama over the shower that the GOP has been putting up against him, and have done since before he was elected.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Well, as long as nobody directly related to him got tortured by us, I don't see where the animosity could be coming from.

ah yes. the old moving-the-goalpost dance of a thousand veils.

always entertaining.

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
ah yes. the old moving-the-goalpost dance of a thousand veils.

always entertaining.

Oh, Haskins, old pal, if they gave out Olympic medals for nitpicking... I didn't place any goalposts to begin with, so I don't know why you'd accuse me of shifting them. Nobody knows precisely what happened with respect to BO Sr. One book claims this, one book claims that. The records are gone. The Mau Mau rebellion is a nasty chapter in our history from which nobody emerges with any credit. It's quite possible we did torture his granddad, and quite possible we didn't. If there's any animosity on Obama's part towards Britain, I don't think it's any less understandable than, say, an Irish-American feeling aggrieved with us on behalf of his oppressed ancestors from way back in another horrid colonial imbroglio; and so long as he expresses it mainly by minor things like declining to request the extension of a loan of a bust of Churchill, I don't really care.