PDA

View Full Version : wine debate

lexxi
07-27-2012, 02:38 AM
I'm trying to write a scene in which two characters argue about the best wines to serve with dinner.

The scene takes place ca. 1910-1915 in the US.

The menu includes Coq au Vin as the main course, along with canteloupe, shrimp, asparagus, and green salad.

Any suggestions of what they should debate? Or sources for me to research further?

waylander
07-27-2012, 03:09 AM
How much money have these people got? Enough to afford high class European wines? The debate could be Bordeaux vs Burgundy.

lexxi
07-27-2012, 03:45 AM
Enough. That could work -- thanks.

shaldna
07-27-2012, 10:57 AM
How much money have these people got? Enough to afford high class European wines? The debate could be Bordeaux vs Burgundy.

Remember that Coc au Vin is normally made with Burgundy - so part of that argument will be whether the wine compliments the food or not - made more difficult by wine already being in the food.

Flicka
07-27-2012, 12:46 PM
I'm trying to write a scene in which two characters argue about the best wines to serve with dinner.

The scene takes place ca. 1910-1915 in the US.

The menu includes Coq au Vin as the main course, along with canteloupe, shrimp, asparagus, and green salad.

Any suggestions of what they should debate? Or sources for me to research further?

There is a great debate on whether or not there is any wine that goes with asparagus...

backslashbaby
07-28-2012, 12:19 AM
I was going to mention the asparagus debate, lol! I wonder if that debate was around back then?

lexxi
07-28-2012, 04:44 PM
Would be interesting to know, thanks. Gives me something to google anyway.

Snick
07-28-2012, 07:45 PM
There is a great debate on whether or not there is any wine that goes with asparagus...

Easily resolved:
Any wine goes with asparagus.

VanessaNorth
07-28-2012, 08:32 PM
Remember that Coc au Vin is normally made with Burgundy - so part of that argument will be whether the wine compliments the food or not - made more difficult by wine already being in the food.

When I cook coq au vin, I generally buy two bottles of the same wine. One to go in the pot and one for the table. No competition for flavors there.

That said, as someone who lived for awhile in Dijon, not as someone with a vast knowledge of wine, I can say that most of the time a red wine from Bourgogne (burgundy) will be a pinot noir, and a white will be a Chardonnay. No, not ALWAYS, but usually.

backslashbaby
07-28-2012, 10:36 PM
Another wine argument that is common to hear is whether a certain wine is ready to drink. Many reds that you might pick for that meal could spark a personal debate about whether the particular wine needs more aging to be a good choice for the night.

I am an oak and tannin lover, so I like some wines before more particular folks would dare drink them, lol.

shaldna
07-29-2012, 11:41 AM
Another wine argument that is common to hear is whether a certain wine is ready to drink. Many reds that you might pick for that meal could spark a personal debate about whether the particular wine needs more aging to be a good choice for the night.

I am an oak and tannin lover, so I like some wines before more particular folks would dare drink them, lol.

A course I was on a while back with a Master Wine taster said that whites are meant to be fresh and 'young' while reds should be aged for longer.

We make our own mostly, and I've found that 9-12 months is about as long as you can keep a white before it starts to taste a bit manky.

That's another question to ask actually - are they buying wine in from a big vineyard, or making it at home, or buying from smaller farms? I assume, since they are wealthy, that they'll be buying it in? But it would pay to check what sort of wine was available at the time in the area - the OP said it was in the US, but didn't say where specifically - so, wines you could get easily in New York, may be harder to come by in other towns.

Also, and my US history is a bit sketchy - but aren't there/weren't there some dry states/counties? if the setting is 1910-1915 then you are faced with the Temperance movement and leading into Prohibition - many states were dry at the time specified - so the OP would need to check that out.