Not open for further replies.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I originally posted this on my blog, "Confessions of a Postmodern Pre-Raphaelite", a couple of years ago, but it's still pertinent.

***​

Recently I ran across two artists' anecdotes of their art imagery being taken without permission. I don't know if it's coincidence, or if lots of artists have similar troubles and I just happened to run into two of them.

Emila Yusof , based in Malaysia, draws charming illustrations of children and sensitive watercolors, and Von Glitschka is an Oregon-based designer of graphic, clean-edged illustration and tattoo designs.

Ms. Yusof in her blog ("Without permission") describes a local business which copied an image she had recently drawn for Malaysian Independence Day. The business was using it as a greeting card and public decoration.

Mr. Glitschka had one of his designs, a tribal mask, directly copied and offered for sale (in separate incidents) by Shutterstock Images and by Diamante Transfer. Details can be found on his weblog at "Graphic Heists". He also had one of his illustrations, a "Keyboard Character" named Pet Monster, pastiched by Ricoh for their digital color printers advertisements ("Ricoh Copies?") . (This last could be argued, since the ads are not direct copies of his work. However, the relationship seems pretty blatant, particularly since the ad agency in question specifically requested copies of his art before producing the ad campaign.)

While copyright is an often misunderstood part of art law, it is at heart very simple:

The artist is the only one with the right to copy or sell images of his or her own work.

Period. Full stop. Note that you don't have to "register" to get copyright. You don't have to put the little copyright sign of a C in a circle anywhere on the work. Copyright is automatic as soon as you make your artwork (or writing or music or video or photo). It's yours, and no one has the right to take it from you. The only way to give any of it up is to actively opt out, for which there are careful legal procedures.

(There are a few complications. You can, for a fee, officially register your copyright with the US government. This gives you extra legal protections in the event that someone violates your copyright and you have to take them to court. There is also a doctrine called "fair use" which allows limited use of copyrighted materials for nonprofit educational purposes, or for satire.)

An image made by an artist is the property of the artist, and no one may copy it except for clearly defined private personal use. Even if, as in the case of fine art, the artist sells the original artwork, the artist retains copyright. If you buy a painting, you don't get to copy it and sell prints, although the artist may. This holds true for designers and graphic artists as well. Work they have made for their own use is theirs. It's a violation of the law to take and use or sell it as the companies mentioned above did, instead of honestly contacting the artists, contracting with them and paying them fairly.

There's an excellent overview of what is and isn't fair use as decided by court cases at "Summaries of Fair Use Cases" at the Stanford University Libraries:
http://fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyright_and_Fair_Use_Overview/chapter9/9-c.html

Note in the list of artwork cases that small thumbnails are judged as fair use, but deliberate copying of an artwork in a different medium (as with the two artists above) is not.

Other helpful sites are:

Deleted member 42

Note that derivative works are also covered by copyright.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Note that derivative works are also covered by copyright.

Ah, yes, an important point. You can't make a new artwork incorporating someone else's copyrighted artwork without permission.

A painting based on someone else's copyrighted photograph is a violation of copyright.

In a famous case, Jeff Koons, whose kitschy large-scale sculptures are celebrated in the art world, was successfully sued by Art Rogers for copying his photograph of a couple holding an entire litter of puppies as a large-scale sculpture and selling several versions for hundreds of thousands of dollars each.

Koons tried the defense that his sculpture was parody, since the puppies were painted blue and given big noses and the people were somewhat distorted with flowers stuck in their hair.

(Parody, by the way, is a nuanced area of copyright law. If people are interested I can dig up more information about how it works.)

At any rate, the judge did not accept Koons' defense, saying "In short, it is not really the parody flag that Koons attempts to set sail under, but rather the flag of piracy." (ouch!)

The two images can be seen at http://www.law.harvard.edu/faculty/martin/art_law/image_rights.htm

There is an excellent, detailed discussion of the case by Mary Ann Fergus, a lawyer who specializes in art law here.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

(Parody, by the way, is a nuanced area of copyright law. If people are interested I can dig up more information about how it works.)

Parody is decided in court; it's expensive. It's not a defense, it's a potential safe harbor that is determined by a judge or a judge and jury.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Parody is decided in court; it's expensive. It's not a defense, it's a potential safe harbor that is determined by a judge or a judge and jury.

Agreed.

Interestingly enough, it's thanks to MAD Magazine that parody as fair use even exists. The magazine published a compilation of song parodies in 1961 and was sued by a consortium of songwriters led by Irving Berlin and including Cole Porter and Richard Rodgers. The magazine won modestly in the District Court, then completely in the Circuit Court in 1964, and then the Supreme Court declined to hear the case, leaving Americans free to parody popular songs at will, thus leading directly to the career of Weird Al Yankovich.

Judge Charles Metzner's opinion on the case can be read here, and for legal writing it's a knee-slapper.

But don't rely on claims of parody to protect against lawsuits. Note that it did not work for Jeff Koons.

aibrean

Author, Designer, Imaginative Being
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilsadowski.com
Usually if it's something really good, there is a good bet it's going to get ripped. I've had some of my art ripped before. If it's on Facebook, it's incredibly easy to get removed (like same-day). Other sites which are hosted outside of the USA are incredibly hard. Even with USA-hosted sites you can have issues. I had one rip a vector bike illustration and I contacted the host who told me to contact the domain registrar, who told me to contact the host. I did do a DCMA filing through both.

Another person ripped one of my stock illustrations (it is available for sale as an royalty-free illustration). The graphic still had the watermark. That was a bit easier. I called the person who owned the website and he was completely clueless. Sometimes you have the issue of a clueless client. They hired someone who put the site together with a placeholder image and expected the client to buy it and they never did, or the client did a google search and didn't know they had to buy the image. That guy removed it immediately.

Von is one of my design idols. I have his keyboard characters and one of his books (actually I got both of them direct from him through a couple contests he was holding). I've also met him in person :) He has a copyright issue seriously at least once a week it seems.

I highly recommend doing a Google image search (where you can upload an image and it will see if there are matches on Google to it). I've caught a bunch that way.

Eriador117

Hobbit Botherer
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a question - is it allowed to have the book cover posted on a blog for example, along with a review of the book? Would that be considered fair use?

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
Agreed.

Interestingly enough, it's thanks to MAD Magazine that parody as fair use even exists. The magazine published a compilation of song parodies in 1961 and was sued by a consortium of songwriters led by Irving Berlin and including Cole Porter and Richard Rodgers. The magazine won modestly in the District Court, then completely in the Circuit Court in 1964, and then the Supreme Court declined to hear the case, leaving Americans free to parody popular songs at will, thus leading directly to the career of Weird Al Yankovich.

Judge Charles Metzner's opinion on the case can be read here, and for legal writing it's a knee-slapper.

But don't rely on claims of parody to protect against lawsuits. Note that it did not work for Jeff Koons.

Parody defense often works better if you clearly mean it as a social commentary/joke.

Oh and Weird Al has since the beginning of his career asked permission for 100% of his songs. There was that one song with Snoop Dog refuted, so Weird Al, apologized deeply (though he was protected under the parody claus) and then from on insisted on talking to the artist(s) involved directly to double verify. It's not so much about being sued for him, it's courtesy. A few people actually approached him to do a parody of their song. Michael Jackson actually was a big fan and pitched into the "Eat it" video by providing the same actors. And Madonna promptly asked him to parody "Like a Virgin" on the street. Which is why he didn't get sued. He asked permission anyway...

Here's a question - is it allowed to have the book cover posted on a blog for example, along with a review of the book? Would that be considered fair use?
(Not a lawyer) Depends partly on the country...

But generally: If it's a low res/small size image. (That's totally different things--be safe to have both.)
*Only* used in conjunction with the review. (since fair use usually protects journalists as long as it doesn't exceed the 10% rule and also under the educational purposes clause.

However, as I said it's best to read your country's copyright law website as well as the country it's coming from. I believe Australia and New Zealand have websites. I'm 100% sure that Great Britain and the US have one too.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
I'm fairly certain that the 10% rule is either a myth or widely misunderstood, though it should make no difference in this case.

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
I'm fairly certain that the 10% rule is either a myth or widely misunderstood, though it should make no difference in this case.
10% rule is still up on Copyright.gov, run by the US government.

There are exceptions to the 10% rule such as sufficiently giving away the content of the copyrightable work such that it infringes on sale of that work.

Also with songs, it's 10 seconds or less of a song or 10% or less--whichever is shorter.

This does not cover Fan fiction/fan art which is under the clause of derivative works, which is not sufficient enough to cover fair use.

As I said, check with the government(s) in question.

Status
Not open for further replies.